Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2009 04:00

233dn Scan to PC always opens explorer

Hi there,

Wonder if someone might be able to provide some help with a few irritations with the way the scanning on the 2335dn works.

I have the scan manager software installed on a Win2k3 server.  Each time a user scans to a folder on the network a windows explorer session is started on the server.  Is there any way to prevent this?  Ideally I would like to leave the server logged out and not have to connect periodically to shut down dozens of explorer windows!

Thanks.

4 Posts

September 30th, 2009 08:00

Hello, Quickjump.  We are having this exact same problem!  If anyone knows how to resolve this, I would love to know.  We had several 1815dn printers here, and due to an ongoing issue with the toner cartridges, Dell replaced a couple of them with these 2335dn's.  We used Network Scan with the 1815's, but that doesn't work with the 2335's, and this Scan Manager software is not very user-friendly.

Were you able to get the Scan Manager software to find your 2335 on the network?  I had to physically connect the printer to the server using a USB cable for it to show up in Scan Manager, and then go in and change the port to the IP address.  Also, since we have 2 of these, I wasn't able to get 2 different units to show up in the same Scan Manager window on the same server.  It's almost like I have to have a server for each 2335 that we have here.  Please let me know if you are experiencing any of these same issues and have found ways around them.

Thanks!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 19th, 2010 08:00

I also have the same issue

1 Message

February 8th, 2010 07:00

Just bought a 2335 and we're having the same problem - got on the Dell Chat helpdesk and the guy told me it was normal and to wait for an update  - in other words, no help at all -  have you been able to find out anything? We have people who are scannng 100 or more pages a day and it's a pain to have to delete all of them

4 Posts

February 8th, 2010 07:00

We still have not been able to resolve this issue.  I've just been going on to the server periodically and closing the Windows Explorer windows, but we don't have near as many scans as you do.  I think that this application was just designed to be run on the client side, so that way the user is the one who gets the pop-up of their image.  I just haven't gotten around to setting it up that way.  Obviously this won't work for you if you have a lot of users who need to use the same device, unless you want to pick one person to be the one to host the application and get bombarded with pop-ups all day.

As for the update, I've been waiting for almost a year for an update.  I doubt they're working very hard on resolving this.  I did notice that the application had an update that came out in early October, and I've installed that but it didn't seem to fix anything.

1 Message

April 29th, 2010 10:00

The panel interface is quite ugly...

Anybody solved the explorer popup issue?

3 Posts

July 29th, 2010 06:00

I found a neat solution to the explorer popup issue, it's a application called Close Explorer Windows created by Nagareshwar Talekar. A list of his applications can be found here: http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/author/3086.html.

http://foamx.blogspot.com/2010/07/close-explorer-windows-application.html

(This is the newest version, works on windows7, 2003 server, 2008 server)

1) Copy the executable in a directory, for example: C:\Program Files\Close Explorer Windows.

2) Create a new task in taskmanager scheduling to run the executable after working hours and before working hours. For example at our company we have it running twice a day, see screenshot:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 29th, 2010 12:00

Foamx,

Cna you please edit your url. Dell does NOT allow URL to direct downloads and the link may be removed. Have the link go to the page where this can be downloaded.

Thanks,

Rick

3 Posts

July 30th, 2010 07:00

Fixed.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 30th, 2010 16:00

Foamx, :emotion-21::emotion-21:

Looked like useful information and I didn't want to see the thread removed because of a link.

Thanks,

Rick

No Events found!