Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2011 12:00

2355dn says "error : File Existed" when scanning using SMB

Hi,

We just recently purchased a Dell 2355dn printer.  We are generally very happy with it's performance and features.  It's mostly set up now the way we want except for one feature.  I am trying to set up several "scan to server" entries so that staff can scan directly to our shared drive and to a folder on their desktops.  I started with trying to get it to work on my workstation and it worked fine.  However, every other workstation and server that I try I get this error message:

SMB > Destination
Scan Job is completed with error : File Existed

I have tried various different settings but for the workstations/server that I try I always get the same error message.  My workstation works fine.  Here is a sample of configurations that I have used to test this feature:

My Workstation Our Server #1 Our Server #2
SMB Server List
Index: 4 5 5
Alias for the Setup: Richard Docs Docs
SMB Server Setup
IP Address or Host Name: Host Name (NetBIOS) Host Name (NetBIOS) IP Address
Server address and Port: WORKSTATION022, 139 SERVER105, 139 192.168.1.56, 139
Share name: Richard's Scans SharedDocs SharedDocs
User Account
Anonymous:
User Name: Richard n/a n/a
Login Password: n/a n/a
Login Domain: n/a n/a
Scan File Details
Scan File Folder:
Scan Filename: DOC DOC DOC
Filing Method:

Our server is using Samba and is running on CentOS.  No username or password is required to access the share or manipulate the files and folders in the share.  My workstation is running Windows 7 Professional like the rest of the workstations in the office.

I have actually tried reviewing the Samba logs to see if any kind of error is being recorded but there is nothing recorded coming from the printer.  It's almost as if the printer never actually connects to the server at all.  My feeling is that the "File Existed" error message isn't really related to a filename already existing but is some other kind of error.

I am at a loss as to what else I can try and do.  As I mentioned before, scans to my workstation work flawlessly but with basically the same configuration but for a different workstation I get the "File Existed" error.  I was expecting more issues scanning to the workstations than to our Samba server since the workstations have all of the Active Directory stuff to work through.

Can anyone suggest something else for me to try?  We're using the scan to email feature right now but it would be nice to simply scan directly to SMB shares.

Thanks.

October 21st, 2011 12:00

Has anyone experienced these problems?  It's frustrating to know that a specific feature of the printer isn't working and I don't know why.  I wish there was better diagnostic information or a log file or something to help point the way.

3 Posts

May 31st, 2012 00:00

I have the same problem with a netapp nas. With Win 2008 R2 it works. Did you solved the problem?

May 31st, 2012 08:00

We still haven't resolved the problem.  It would be a really nice feature to have but instead we have been using the scan-to-email function as a work around.  It requires additional steps to be able to save the file from an email to the proper location on our network but at least it is doable.  I am guessing that you haven't had any luck resolving your problem?

3 Posts

June 2nd, 2012 01:00

No luck at the moment. It seems it can not work with non Windows fileserver. I tried the Dell support, but the guy was very useless and not willing to inverstigate the problem. Perhaps I will do some wireshark, but it´s more to do as it is a NAS.

June 7th, 2012 11:00

I just did a test and was able to scan a document to our Windows 2003 server without a problem.  I then tried to scan a document to our Samba server and it failed with the "file existed" error message.  In the past I tried to set up the ability to scan documents directly to a person's workstation and got mixed results.  All of our workstations are running Windows 7 Professional but some workstations would get the "file existed" error message and others would work flawlessly.  It's hard to figure out what is going on with the lack of a log file that shows more than a phrase (which in my case didn't appear to be correct anyway).

117 Posts

June 7th, 2012 11:00

The first thing I would look at is firmware. The printer had a conflict with windows live essentials that caused this error to occur when scanning to PC's with that installed. The next thing I would look at is wether or not switching between hostname and IP effects the outcome or if adding a username and password helps. On some of Dell's printers a username and password has to be entered for windows 7 but XP works fine with anonymous.

3 Posts

June 8th, 2012 13:00

The printer runs the newest firmware. Switching between IP and hostname makes no differenz. There is something wrong, if the destination is not a Windows OS.

117 Posts

June 8th, 2012 15:00

My apologies my previous post was direct to hdd-richard. In regards to scanning to the NAS I have to admit I am a bit less experienced. I have had success from some other Dell printers but have never attempted a 2355. My first reaction is probably a difference in CIFS and NFS, but again I am very new to NAS.

June 8th, 2012 16:00

We checked and we found out that there was a new firmware available for the printer.  We installed it and then tested the scan to network option and it made no difference.  If I scanned to a Windows Server it seems to work fine but if I try to scan to our Samba server then it fails with the "file existed" error message.  I believe the problem we are having is the same as TNT-IN. I wish there was better error reporting as I am almost certain the problem is not that a file exists but instead reports that when maybe there is an unknown error.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 11th, 2012 16:00

Hdd Richard and  TNT-IN

I may have a contact that can help.  Please shoot me a private message, just click on the link in my signature.  In your messages please include your name, phone number or email address and sevice tags. With this info my contact will be able to reach out to you.

Thanks

TB

April 16th, 2013 19:00

Unfortunately I was never able to resolve the issue.  I did have a Dell support person call me and I did work with him to try different things but ultimately he wasn't able to resolve the issue.  He checked my configuration and he said that everything looked correct and that it should just work.  It would be nice to get this to work correctly and consistently but since it wasn't we figured out a different way that suited our needs.  I wish I could help you out.  If you do ever find a solution, I would be really interested in hearing what worked for you.

- Richard

2 Posts

April 16th, 2013 19:00

I am experiencing the same problem with my Dell 2355 PSC. Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

2 Posts

April 17th, 2013 07:00

That's too bad. I will keep trying but I have tried everything I could think of already. I see there is a Network PC option but I can't figure out how this is meant to be configured.

1 Message

August 10th, 2015 18:00

Please read our blog post related to this printer at newafritech.blogspot.com/.../dell-2355dn-printer-error-paper-jam-in.html.

No Events found!