Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 13th, 2013 00:00

3 yr. old DELL P513w lost connection with the PC wired & wireless

Back in Jan. 2010 I purchasea a Dell P513w printer. Since setting it up its been sitting in the other end of my PC room.
 It worked fine both wireless and whan the cable attached. It just
sat there unused except for printing probably a couple dozen pictures since 2010.
 I just kept it there but had it covered with a dust cover. I had plenty of ink for my HP and Brother printers so I figured
 I would put it on line later. My Brother went kaput basically a couple of weeks ago so I dumped it and moved the DELL over near my pc. Re-installed the software because I had recovered the pc. I could not get it to work with wireless but it functioned ok with the USB connection. Suddenly it just quit. I have reinstalled the software on 2 pc's but it keeps telling me X no compatable printers are installed. I've tried 3 sets of cable and still nothing. Help I've hardly used this thing and havequite a bit of extra ink. It scans a d will print from flash disk or 
memory cards but not with anycommunication with the printer.

I tried resetting to factory specs as advised from Dell support to no avail 

24 Posts

August 14th, 2013 01:00

I did the nflea power removal thing then inserted the CD which didn't have the option you said when I opened it. So I re-installed the software which was allready on it without removing it using the control panel. Once installed it began communicating with the PC and I was able to re=establish the wireless connecion also. I than you very much I was lost as to what had happened.. I knew the printer was working properly itself but didn't communicate. I just have never experienced that berore.:emotion-2:

August 14th, 2013 03:00

Hi 43petty43,

Thank you for your response,

I‘m glad that the issue is fixed now and appreciate your co-operation, please reply us back if you have any other issues with your printer.
You can let us know on a new post and we’ll be glad to assist you further.

August 13th, 2013 02:00

Hi 43petty43,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, I’d be glad to assist you regarding the same please follow the below mentioned steps to isolate the issue.

1. Turn off the printer, disconnect it from computer and make sure nothing is connected to the printer and press and hold power button
for a minute which will release the flea power
2. Plug in the printer to the computer via USB and Power on the  printer.
3. Insert the Printer software cd and click on Install  / Run option from Autorun and select the option “Contact” and select the option “Uninstall”, which will remove the printer and its software completely
4. Remove the USB cable from the computer, restart the computer and insert the Dell Printer software disc again and initiate the setup and follow the instructions to install the printer through USB Wired installation
5. Restart the computer once again and check if the printer is connected and if you’re able to print the test page or any other document.

Please follow these steps and mentioned above and additionally you can also refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned on the below link.
http://dell.to/19ffswb

Do reply us back with your findings.

24 Posts

August 20th, 2013 22:00

I appreciate your response you were a big help. I usually find answers here the support topics usually tell me to do everything I've already done. Thanks again.

1 Message

July 25th, 2014 04:00

I HAVE A NEW PC. TOSHIBA C850 . SINCE I GOT THIS PC MY VIRTUALY NON USED DELL P513W PRINTER GIVING ME THE MESSAGE ALL THE TIME 'COMMUNICATION NOT AVAILABLE.'  I HAVE TRIED WITH AND WITHOUT USB . PLEASE TELL ME WHAT PORT I SHOULD USE WHEN I AM NOT USING USB PORT.

SHOULD I BE USING USB ? I AM NOT AT ALL TECHINICAL PERSON SO PLEASE EXPLAIN CLEARLY HOW I CAN CONNECT AND USE MY PRINTER.

YOUR EARLY REPLY WILL BE REALLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS

S DUTTA

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 28th, 2014 04:00

S Dutta,

Was the printer working on your network before?

What operating system is installed on the Toshiba? 32-bit or 64-bit?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

No Events found!