Highlighted
DBeau
1 Copper

3000cn missing line of color

Jump to solution

Can anyone offer any insight into this issue that I am having with my Dell 3000cn printer? The right side of our print outs are missing colors. Black shows fine but from abut 2" over on the right it will leave a blank space where color should be. Here's a link to the image (ignore the blotchyness of the yellow, that's just the scanner):

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9016/3000cn.jpg

We've replaced the fuser and all color cartridges to no avail. Any other thoughts?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
llynster
4 Beryllium

Re: 3000cn missing line of color

Jump to solution

This is gonna sound weird, but use the front panel to "Replace the Magenta" toner, remove and re-seat the Magenta toner cartridge. Ensure the rotating toner lock handle is completely rotated all the way down into the locked position. This is very important.

The reason this happened is because as the carousel (the big thing in the center of the printer that holds the toner carts) rotates, each time it stops to transfer a color, the toner cart of the "next color" in sequence is very close to the laser beam path, in this case, the Magenta cartridge. If the locking handle on that cart is protruding at all, it will partially block the laser beam and the result will be a blank area (i.e., "Vertical Deletion") down the right-hand side of the page.

As you view the carousel from the front where you replace the carts, rotation of the carousel is downward.
* Yellow cart can block Black
* Magenta cart can block Yellow (as you've just observed)
* Cyan cart can block Magenta
* Black cart can block Cyan

I belive the reason you are also seeing this defect in the first image (redr.jpg) is that you probably aren't using the max RGB value for pure Magenta (255,0,255) and you have a color mix.

Please let me know how it worked out.

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
  • all dell shop
  • internet connected via WildBlue satellite
4 Replies
llynster
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

The sample image you provided really doesn't provide enough information for a good recommendation.

It would be best if you attached (or link) the 20% density test pages built-in to the printer. These will give the best samples for determination of the problem.

To print the 20% density test pages:
1. Power off the printer.
2. Press and hold the UP and DOWN arrow buttons while you power the printer on.
3. The buttons may be released after the LCD indicates "Diagnosing..."
4. After a few seconds, the LCD should indicate "Customer Mode" and "ESS Diag"
5. Press the UP or Down arrow buttons to find "Test Print", press the Enter (center) button.
6. Press the Down arrow button to find and select Cyan20%, or Magenta20%, or Yellow20%, or Black20%; press the Enter button twice to select and print that test page
(note: printers with the newest firmware may have an additional menu item called "ContaminationCHK". Using this item will print all 4 of the 20% density pages for you)
7. After all print tests have been completed, power the printer off, wait ~5 secs, and power on.

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
  • all dell shop
0 Kudos
DBeau
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks Llyn, I had our user try this however the yellow at 20% is not being pickd up by our scanner. It's too light so the scanner just sends out a blank page. I printed out a few sheets with full color on them to better show whats happening. The yellow and red are the most noticeable.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/7171/redr.jpg

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/3755/yellowr.jpg

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/6305/blueu.jpg

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7057/blackpx.jpg

0 Kudos
llynster
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

This is gonna sound weird, but use the front panel to "Replace the Magenta" toner, remove and re-seat the Magenta toner cartridge. Ensure the rotating toner lock handle is completely rotated all the way down into the locked position. This is very important.

The reason this happened is because as the carousel (the big thing in the center of the printer that holds the toner carts) rotates, each time it stops to transfer a color, the toner cart of the "next color" in sequence is very close to the laser beam path, in this case, the Magenta cartridge. If the locking handle on that cart is protruding at all, it will partially block the laser beam and the result will be a blank area (i.e., "Vertical Deletion") down the right-hand side of the page.

As you view the carousel from the front where you replace the carts, rotation of the carousel is downward.
* Yellow cart can block Black
* Magenta cart can block Yellow (as you've just observed)
* Cyan cart can block Magenta
* Black cart can block Cyan

I belive the reason you are also seeing this defect in the first image (redr.jpg) is that you probably aren't using the max RGB value for pure Magenta (255,0,255) and you have a color mix.

Please let me know how it worked out.

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
  • all dell shop
DBeau
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yes that appears to have solved the problem. Apparently the Magenta was really tough to fully 'lock' but once it was, no more streaks. Thanks so much llynster!

0 Kudos