Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2008 14:00

3010cn and Vista 64 communication problems

WE have a new lap top with Vista 64 installed. After connecting via network to our 3010cn and installing the latest drivers from the Dell web site. I can print a test page then the version txt page. but after that every thing that I try to print returns an error "Invalid PDL request / PDL request 016-720".

Can anyone give me a solution to this problem?  

17 Posts

August 8th, 2008 18:00

I just ran acrossed the same issue, but was unable to get even a test page to print.  I tried the root driver as well as the one in the english folder.  Any solutions yet?

2 Posts

October 6th, 2008 20:00

same issue with a 3110cn

1 Message

March 14th, 2009 08:00

I'm having the same issue i get the following error message on my printer "data violation pdl request 016-720".

My printer is a Dell 3110CN. My setup is a Dell Precision T 3400 running Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I also have a Dell T605 server running Windows 2008 Server 64 bit in this network as well as one Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit machine and  2 Windows XP Professional machines. The Dell T605 and 32 bit machines are still able to print with the PCL driver (the server serves as print server as well). All available MS updates have been installed. Turning off Symantec AV has no effect on the issue.

The only machine affected is the Dell Precision T3400. Whether installing the driver using the print server or installing the driver locally on the Precision the results are the same (I'm using the latest Dell Provided Driver). It is not a network issue as I have installed the PS driver and the printer functions as expected

1.7K Posts

March 16th, 2009 11:00

No solution, but this sounds like we may want to get the forum moderator to escalate this.

It appears that both machines (3010cn & 3110cn listed in the thread) have problems printing from Vista 64-bit platforms. Gotta love Vista..... NOT !!

PDL means Page Descriptor Language. If you get PDL errors, it generally means the PDL code provided to the printer has a problem.

As a possible workaround, can you "share" the printer from a working platform?

1 Message

April 8th, 2009 08:00

I have been experiencing the same issue.  I receive the same pcl error code(016-720) but I'm using Vista-32 bit and the 3115cn.  Has any one found a solution to this?

April 24th, 2009 11:00

I've had the same problem for some months with my 3110cn, hooked up to a HP desktop running Vista 32.

Around December I found that any print run over about 10 pages (MS Word, pdf and Publisher files) would give this PDL error - sometimes immediately, sometimes after a dozen pages.  Rarely would the print run succeed beyond 15 pages at a time.  The symptoms became worse as time went on so I called tech support.  The tech guy did something with my drivers via Dell's remote takeover, so I couldn't follow what he was trying to accomplish.  It seemed to clear up the problem for the next week, but since then it has been returning in the same progressive way that it did before in December:  long print runs more and more frequently produce an error, and often even printing a one-page document will return the error two or three times before finally printing.

Given the inconvenience of this error in printing multiple copies of a document, unless Dell figures this one out and produces a solution I will have to scrap this printer and buy a different brand ASAP.  It is virtually non-functioning as a multi-page printer.

1.7K Posts

April 24th, 2009 14:00

Since you're running Vista, another thought has occurred to me. You may want to try using the XPS Document Writer function included with Vista (it has to be specially setup on an XP system)

Check to see if you have the XPS Document Writer listed as a printer object. If so, "SAVE-AS" your document, choose "PDF or XPS", name your file and choose the .XPS extension, then click "Publish".

To print; locate the saved file and dbl-click. The file opens in an IE window; click File, Print, choose your printer, then click Print. (or use the printer icon located on the IE tool-bar)

If you haven't tried it, give this a shot. I've been able to print some VERY large files to printers using this method that would normal make the printer "throw-up".

1.7K Posts

April 27th, 2009 08:00

Well..... it "might'a could'a" worked.....

Do you get the exact same error using the XPS method?

I just tried this XPS idea for a 45 page document, converted to XPS from Word with a fair amount of greyscale graphics and text.  It delivered the error on all three of my print attempts, although in one case I got through about 15 pages before the machine rebelled.  Thanks for a good suggestion, though!

Yes, the same error:  "DATA VIOLATION PDL REQUEST 016-720".

5 Posts

August 20th, 2009 19:00

I have had the same problem the past 3 weeks with my Dell 2130cn printer.  Dell support was absolutely NO HELP. 

After playing around with this for hours, I finally changed a setting under the Advanced tab in the printer properties to "Print directly to the printer"

Control Panel > Printers > right click on the Dell Printer > Select Properties

Go to the Advanced tab and click the radio button next to Print directly to the printer

Your properties may be different since its a different printer but find that option in your properties and see if that works for you.

Thanks,

Candice

1 Message

August 31st, 2009 20:00

I had this problem with a Dell 3130CN attached by USB getting the 016-720 PDL Request Data Violation error.  Swapping the relatively thin USB cable I was using for a different one (this one was much thicker) and the printing went fine.

So it could be that your USB cable is picking up interference - try swapping it (or using the Ethernet port instead).

Cheers,

Richard.

1.7K Posts

September 1st, 2009 06:00

Richard brings up an excellant point..... cheap USB cables will cause grief.

I've had the occasion to talk with some of the Dell 3rd level support folks and they've shared some of their findings on cheap USB cables. Aside from electrical interference that an inferior cable can introduce, another issue involves signal reflections within the cable itself. A 10ft USB cable seems to be the worst length for this phenomena.

Anyway, you truly get what you pay for in USB cables.

March 15th, 2012 08:00

I found the FIX to this particular issue and it can be applied to any DELL PRINTER with the same error code on its front panel.

In Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 follow this procedure:

---------------------------------------------
1. Go to printers/devices.

2. Right click printer and select 'Printer Properties' (not 'Properties').

3. Click on 'Advanced' tab.

4. Select "Print directly to printer".
---------------------------------------------

This bypasses the PCL language driver and sends the print job directly to the printer.

4 Posts

March 24th, 2012 10:00

You're exactly right.

I came to this forum to post my fix, but you beat me to it  

Set it to PRINT DIRECTLY TO PRINTER instead of SPOOL PRINT DOCUMENTS 

No Events found!