Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2009 22:00

3110cn laser printer, Error code 077-901

My 3110cn laser printer says there is still a paper jam, though I have cleared everything I can see. I was printing a wide piece of ribbon attached to 8 1/2 x 11 plain paper with doublesided tape through the MFP (which I've done many times before without a problem) but this time it got stuck just inside the printer. I was able to open the machine and remove everything I could see, but I had to tug on it and the paper tore a little. Later I did find a very small piece of paper, so I am not certain there isn't something tiny causing the problem, but I can't see anything. And I don't know if there is any way to open it up further to see what might be causing the error message. I've tried shutting it off, unplugging it, removing ink cartridges, opening and closing it and nothing gets rid of the error message. Any suggestions (besides not trying to make it print on ribbon)? Thanks. Gail

7 Posts

February 23rd, 2009 07:00

Interesting issue...... Is your machine still under Warranty? No--and we got a great deal on it about 3 years ago, so paying for repair might cost more than we paid originally, or than we'd have to pay for a new one. I just really like this model and hope to keep it as long as possible.

Is it possible that you could take a picture (or scan the page) so we can understand exactly what you're feeding thru this machine? Interesting thought--I'll give it a try

What paper settings do you use to print this "strange media"? plain paper--I know, I know, if I was going to do something this stupid it would have been nice if I had at least thought to check for a "strange media" setting--or at least heavy cardstock or something, since it was obviously thicker than plain paper. :emotion-10: I've just managed to do this so often without a problem that I got careless.

When you say "it got stuck"..... what got stuck? and where? As it was first going into the feed it bunched up, but the front third of the page got in far enough that it was impossible to get it out easily, so yes, there could be a small piece of something that I can't see.

Do you still have the pieces you removed? If so, can you re-construct the paper and materials to see if you DO have every single little piece? Ah, no, I was only thinking about not ruining the machine and threw everything away. The thought that maybe I should have kept each piece to check for this occurred to me about 3 a.m. this morning, but the church trash had already been put out.

I can do whatever needed with a phillips screw driver--just tell me where to start! Thanks!

1.7K Posts

February 23rd, 2009 07:00

Hi Gail,

Interesting issue...... Is your machine still under Warranty?

Is it possible that you could take a picture (or scan the page) so we can understand exactly what you're feeding thru this machine?

What paper settings do you use to print this "strange media"?

When you say "it got stuck"..... what got stuck? and where?

Do you still have the pieces you removed? If so, can you re-construct the paper and materials to see if you DO have every single little piece?

The 077-901 error indicates the registration sensor detects paper or an obstruction in that area. The registration sensor is the first sensor in the paper path that the printer uses to detect if the paper is moving thru the machine as it should. The machine knows how fast the paper should move thru this area and measures the time it takes from when the paper activates the sensor to when the paper leaves the sensor. The time difference represents the length of the paper. If the sensor is activated all the time, or after power off/on, an 077-901 error is the result.

Are you handy with a phillips screwdriver?

7 Posts

February 24th, 2009 20:00

You asked if I was handy with a Phillips screwdriver? Can you tell me more? I really need to figure out something about this asap, and I haven't heard from anyone else. Is there a diagram or something online somewhere that would show me where to unscrew a part that would allow me to see 'inside' to look for little paper pieces? Would trying to remove the duplexer help any? Thanks for any suggestions.

1.7K Posts

February 25th, 2009 07:00

Gail,

I think something is wrong with the email notification system. I didn't get notification that you replied to my earlier response to your post.

OK...... Let's get started:

I believe you have a problem with some paper or remnants from the jam stuck in the the registration sensor area. To test the registration sensor, you need to enter Customer Diagnosis mode on the printer. To do this:

1. Power off the printer
2. Press and hold the UP and DN arrow keys while powering on the printer; the buttons may be released when the LCD indicates "Diagnosing".
3. LCD should indicate "Customer Mode" and "ESS Diag" (or something similar).
4. Press the DN arrow to display "IOT Diag"; press the ENTER button.
5. LCD should indicate "IOT Diag" and "Digital Input"; press the ENTER button.
6. Press the UP/DN buttons until the desired DI-xx is shown, then press the ENTER button to execute the test.

The test we want to run is the Regi-Sensor test -- DI-3. Press the up arrow until the LCD indicates "DI-3 OFF" then press the enter button. The LCD should now indicate "DI-3 L 0". If it indicates "DI-3 H 0", then there is indeed some paper jamming the regi-sensor area.

I've included an image (click here) that should help you understand where the registration sensor is located and where paper enters the sensor area. This view is from the paper tray area (tray removed) looking up, and into, the tray area. When you can toggle the regi-sensor positioner and get the display to change from L to H to L, continuously, then you've cleared the jam. The number will increment indicating how many times you've cycled the positioner.

If you need better access into this area, remove the Toner/Drum carts and set them aside. CAUTION: Be careful you don't touch or scratch the bluish/green drum surfaces. Also, these are sensitive to excess exposure to light. When you take them out, put them in a darkened area or inside a box or file cabinet drawer.

Now, you can place the printer on either side and remove the bottom plate (4 screws using a #2 Phillips driver)

Let me know what you find, and good luck.

7 Posts

March 2nd, 2009 16:00

I sent this last Thursday, but I must not have done it right since it didn't show up here.

Ok, I did everything on your list a couple of times. Toggling the regi-sensor positioner does make the display change from L to H to L, but it doesn't stay at L when I remove the tiny philips screwdriver—it immediately goes back to H. And even if I restart, it still says there is a paperjam, though I cannot see anything at all, even with the lowest ink cartridge removed. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to buy a can of compressed air to blow through the slot where the paper goes. I can't see any way to slide a paper through it to remove anything that I'm not seeing.

The only thing that I wonder about is there are a couple of tiny square electronic things that are hanging down and look kind of odd, almost like they are a little loose and in the way of the sensor--could it be that they are dislodged somehow and part of the problem? If you can tell me how to attach a scan here I can show you what I'm talking about--or I can email it if you tell me where to send it.

So where do I go from here? Since this belongs to the church, the board needs to know if it is worth it to try to have it repaired, or if it will cost as much as a newer one since they've come down in price. I saw one for about $300 last week. It's just that I really like this machine and hate to replace it if there is any way I can fix it without it costing too much.

Thanks for all your help.

Gail

1.7K Posts

March 2nd, 2009 17:00

Gail,

I sent you a "PM".....

1 Message

May 10th, 2010 07:00

Hi Llynster,

I also have the same printer / error and seem to be having the same problem as rgbeard - toggling the sensor but still to no avail.

Do you have any other ideas on how to solve this?

Many thanks,

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 10th, 2010 08:00

JamieMz,

I am sorry to inform you that llynster has retired from the Dell Printers Forum.

He will be missed. If you try using the search finction on the right and use the keywords and at the end put llynster, it should bring up other threads that he responded to that might help you solve your problem.

Rick

1 Message

July 19th, 2010 15:00

I am having the same problem. Was there an answer posted to this question?

No Events found!