Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 27th, 2008 14:00

3115cn SMTP 016-503

Greetings all,

We're trying to enable scan/email on 3115CN printer. Client ISP requres authication on outgoing server, and all addressed are verified as account, SMTP and POP are configured on OUTLOOK client (for testing). The 016-503 error appears when we selected email address to send scan to. I have all WEB screen for printer, as well as Wireshark captures of traffic. Is there anything that I am missing...???

Thanks 

1.7K Posts

March 30th, 2008 18:00

Sounds like you know what you're doing.

I've found that setting this up can be as easy as pie..... or a hair-pulling crazy-maker.

Can you send a scan to a shared folder on your PC?

If you can't do that, sending a scan to email usually won't work either.

Permissions not set right, things like that.

Assume you've accessed the printer's address book using the embedded web service and setup all the address book parameters?

1.7K Posts

March 30th, 2008 18:00

... and btw (per my sources), the 016-503 is defined as:

Failed to Resolve SMTP Server Name at Mail Reception.

2 Posts

March 30th, 2008 19:00

Scanning to local client WKS works. I had a chat will Dell online rep a few weeks ago regarding this issue, and a dispatch was made to change FAX/Scanning interface. Did not resolve issue. The ISP is Time Warner Business class service, and they do provide any assistance regarding any 'non-supported' components. And printers are deemed 'not supported'. SMTP (smtp.biz.rr.com) and POP (pop.biz.rr.com) were the address supplied and ented in the Email Alert page. There are four email accounts, and all 4 have been verified as functional on the Time Warner Side. TW's requirements are for authentication on the OUTGOING side, and the printer is configured for *SMTP AUTH(AUTO). I've tried all other choices within the pull-downs.

Before failure this is the SMTP Server Connection Connection pending until printer sends an alert.

HELP PLEASE..!!! 

1.7K Posts

March 30th, 2008 20:00

Too bad they sent a part and tech to fix this. For login/authent issues, that rarely (if ever) works.

I'll see what I can dig up.

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll try to send some materials i use.... may take me a few days to find them.... bare with me.

1 Message

March 22nd, 2010 13:00

Just an FYI... I had the same issue and I was able to resolve it by using IP address in SMTP settings. The only difference is that I don't use authentication. Not sure if it will work for you but thought it might be worth mentioning.

1 Message

September 20th, 2010 14:00

@THEITALI

Could you post the exact settings you used to resolve this issue. I also do not need authentication, but can't seem to find the correct settings despite having the ip address.

Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2010 16:00

SOLUTION:

SMTP Server Connection Connection pending until printer sends an alert.

This alert simply means it is not connecting to the outgoing email server (SMTP) until it needs to send something. Therefore, simply try to send an document. It will then try to connect and either fail or succeed. However, if you haven't resolved the original issue it will still give you an error. The original issue is handled below.

Failed to Resolve SMTP Server Name at Mail Reception.

As someone already provided above this is the interpretation of your error code. This means that the printer cannot locate the outgoing email server address (SMTP) that you entered. You probably entered a outgoing email (SMTP) server in "english" for example "mail.gmail.com." This means nothing to machines. They require an numerical IP address to function. A DNS server provides the machine with the numerical IP address corresponding to the "english" address entered. Again in simple terms, your machine cant find the corresponding IP address for the outgoing mail server you entered.

Therefore you have to provide it a numerical IP address instead of the english one. Or give it directions to the nearest DNS server.

Here are the two solutions:

(1) Manually enter the IP address (example 111.134.5.122) into the  "Primary SMTP Gateway" field. You can usually locate this by googling the question. For example google "IP address for mail server for mail.gmal.com." Otherwise you will have to ask you email hosting provider.

(2) Go to the TCP/IP settings on the printer. Disable the "Get DNS Server Address from DHCP." And enter in the IP address for you network DNS server. The DNS server can be obtained by looking at your network connection details. The DNS servers job is to resolve english server names with numerical IP addresses.

This solution also applies to Dell 2135cn MFP. Error code 016 503. It may apply to others.

December 12th, 2011 20:00

I experienced a similar issue with the Dell 1355cnw Color MFP.  After hours of being on the phone & chat lines with Dell Support, I was told that Dell drivers do not work with Mac 10.7 and that the printer may (arbitrarily) work and it may not.   The error code I received from the printer was 016-764 "Scan Job Failure"  The web browser interface showed an SMTP Server Connection status as, "Unable to connect".  What I ultimately discovered was that the "Address Book" data I entered from Web Browser interface for fax / scanner speed dialing index was not being correctly interpreted in the printer.  When I manually re-entered the email address from the printer menus and buttons, it worked perfectly (even thought the SMTP Server Connection on the web browser interface still showed, "Unable to connect").

3 Posts

December 4th, 2012 13:00

I was able to get the printer to scan to email by entering the following:

I used the Printer Configuration Web Tool to configure the printer.  Begin by enter the IP address of your printer into your browser.  It will bring up the Printer Configuration Web Tool.  Select Email Alert from the left side.   For Gmail, enter the following:

Primary SMTP Gateway: aspmx.l.google.com

SMTP Port Number: 25

Email Send Authentication: *invalid

SMTP Login User: ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy> >

SMTP Login Password:

Re-enter SMTP Login Password:

Pop3 Server Address: pop.gmail.com

Pop User Name: ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy> >

Pop User Password:

Re-enter Pop User Password:

Reply Address: ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy> >

1 Message

October 17th, 2013 19:00

Dear Sir/Madam:

We contact and even paid to your chat support to resolve this issue:

PRINTER DELL 2155cn

REGARDING: CAN'T SCAN TO EMAIL FROM PRINTER PANEL.

WE EVEN UPDATE FIRMWARE TO THE LATEST VERSION 2013 SUCCESSFULLY.

BUT EMAIL ALERT FORM CAN'T ALLOW TO USE PORTS: 995 (FOR POP3) NOR 465 (FOR STMP)

IT SAYS VERY CLEAR THAT SMTP ONLY CAN USE: 25 (OLD PORT), 587, 5000~65535 AND POP3: 110 (OLD), 5000~65535

THIS IS AN ONLY 2 YEARS OLD PRINTER MODEL, AND i DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY WE CAN'T SET THIS NOT-TOO-NEW PORTS USED IN MOST OF THE EMAILS TODAY. POP3=995 AND SMTP=465.

PLEASE WE NEED HELP!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

(THIS BELOW IS THE ERROR WHEN WE TRIED TO SET THOSE PORTS REQUIRED)

Incorrect settings. Please check the settings for following items.

SMTP Port Number

5 Posts

December 31st, 2013 14:00

Exactly - I found this out the hard way too - if the DNS server is not propagated correctly from the router, cable/dsl modem, etc. the printer will never find any domain names ... either disable "Get DNS Server Address from DHCP" and set your own DNS server's IP directly, or set the mail server's IP address as explained above ...

Hope that helps somebody else! This solution applies to the C1765 printers as well.

No Events found!