Highlighted
jetco
Bronze

3115cn Scanning

Jump to solution

Can anyone explain why a working SMB scanning destination would stop working? I had 6 SMB workstations setup in the address book, 1 day last week 3 of them stopped working with the 016-782 error. The other 3 still work.  The printer has a stand alone IP, everything here is DHCP, but none of the IPs have actually changed.  Login name and password are utilized which each workstation using it's own specific login, but none have changed. file sharing and permissions should not have changed. The destination folder is in the share name and the server path is blank. These are all windows XP workstations which have sharing and security permission for the individual scanner shared folder setup using the specific workstation login. Like I said, everything worked flawlessly on these machines for months, then suddenly stopped working.

I've also never been able to successfully setup a win7 machine as a destination due to 016-781 error. Are there GOOD troubleshooting tips for that anywhere because I have yet to find any.  Everything I have read and tried has not worked.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
jetco
Bronze

Re: 3115cn Scanning

Jump to solution

I still have not been able to setup scanning to individual win7 machines. I am currently scanning to a public folder on the server. This is not an ideal solution for us. Anyone have any worthwhile information on the 016-781 error on win7?

0 Kudos
JohnPrewitt
Copper

Jump to solution

Had same problem today.  The 3115cn was setup to scan documents using the "Dell" account on the computer.  Went to the target computer and tried to login to the Dell account and found that its password had expired.  Entered a new password which fixed the login error.

0 Kudos
JohnPrewitt
Copper

Jump to solution

Ensure account and password of login account on target computer is correct and current.

0 Kudos
jetco
Bronze

Jump to solution

This is not a login problem as the user accounts have not changed. The login and IP is the same for each workstation as it was when the Dell was scanning to the XP machines.

There is zero support for troubleshooting scanning issues on this model Dell. I'm going to switch scanners in the near future because I'm done wasting time on the 3115cn

0 Kudos
JohnPrewitt
Copper

Jump to solution

jetco,

Have you tried a login to the target computer using the same account and password that is setup in the scanner?  In our office, one computer was o.k. but one was not.  They both used the Dell account on the target computer to scan documents into.  We also removed all old scanned documents on the target computer.  After successfully performing a login on the target computer we re-entered the password on the scanner.  

John

0 Kudos
jetco
Bronze

Jump to solution

Yes, that's how I originally set up the scanner. I used the individual workstation login & password. I never setup any type of separate scanner login. I have verified that the user has not changed their password due to expiration or just because. I've even tried using administrator login credentials on the scanner but eventually they too suffered the same demise with the 016-782 error. I then switched to a server based shared folder using the admin credentials, and after 3 months, that too experienced the 016-782 error. I was able to reset the server folder but starting from scratch, but I could never get the scanner to login to the individual workstations again.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I second this question...  There doesn't seem to be much support for this particular printer, and no one seems to know anything about these issues.  I have almost the exact same problem.  Any help would be appreciated..?

0 Kudos
jetco
Bronze

Jump to solution

I have NOT been able to make any progress with my scanning problems and I have given up on trying to use the 3115cn as a scanner. I have since purchased a Canon image runner and use it for my scanning.

0 Kudos
JohnPrewitt
Copper

Jump to solution

I believe the problem is not with the scanner but with the Windows Operating System (OS).  The Windows OS expects a user to change his password after a specified time period, i.e., every 3 months or so.  When I had this problem.  I went to the computer that scanner could not send the scanned file to and tried to log on under that user.  I couldn't so I had to go to the System Administration account and reset the password for the user.  If you change the password on the computer then you have to change the password on the scanner.  Once I could log in as the user the scanner could send scanned files to the computer.