Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 30th, 2011 10:00

3115cn Scanning

Can anyone explain why a working SMB scanning destination would stop working? I had 6 SMB workstations setup in the address book, 1 day last week 3 of them stopped working with the 016-782 error. The other 3 still work.  The printer has a stand alone IP, everything here is DHCP, but none of the IPs have actually changed.  Login name and password are utilized which each workstation using it's own specific login, but none have changed. file sharing and permissions should not have changed. The destination folder is in the share name and the server path is blank. These are all windows XP workstations which have sharing and security permission for the individual scanner shared folder setup using the specific workstation login. Like I said, everything worked flawlessly on these machines for months, then suddenly stopped working.

I've also never been able to successfully setup a win7 machine as a destination due to 016-781 error. Are there GOOD troubleshooting tips for that anywhere because I have yet to find any.  Everything I have read and tried has not worked.

March 15th, 2013 15:00

This may solve the Windows 7 issue of 016-782, login/password error.   If for nobody else, I'm posting this for myself as I figured it out 6 months ago, changed my system and was unable to use the scanner for 4 months.... SO I want a record here.  And we all know Dell won't help.  This is a WIRED solution, but if you have the multiprotocol card, I bet this fixes wireless too, I have it, but was glitchy at times so I prefer the printer wired into a router or network server or whatever, that the computer/s are also plugged to.

1/  don't install ANY software.   Get your system up and running.  If you have any remainder files from 3115cn, call me paranoid, but I'd format the disk and reinstall windows 7.  If you don't want to, continue on anyway after uninstalling any trace of 3115cn out of add/remove programs.

2/  Make sure 3115cn is ready to go.  Plug it into your computer via USB port.  Windows should detect it and install drivers it likes for every aspect (well, I don't use the fax, fax email is the only way to go).  All of them should get the green checkmark.   Again-let windows do it, don't download the garbage drivers off THIS site, nor try to mess with your original disk with installation files, etc....  if you have windows 7, you could likely throw away that 2" manual at this point lol.

3/   So, now the printer should work and it should work fast-lots of the dell drivers make it run like a 90s scanner, 30 seconds per B/W copy-no thanks.  Lightning fast with windows driver....

So now, onto the scanner, but steps 1-3 are important IMO.

4/  Set up your share folder just in the main drive of your user account.  So C:\User\YOU\Scans or whatever you wish to name it, doesn't have to be "Scans". On sharing, make sure you select your name, or the computer login account name, and make sure it says "read" and "read/write" as permissions.

Now you have your destination folder for scans (PDFs or whatever you set up).

5/  Now go in to the panel of printer.  Admin, go into the tcp/ip and give it an IP address.... so lets say your network is lynksys, Then you need to assign it an IP of 192.168.2.X  X=(2-256)  so for example, mine is 192.168.2.9, and I chose that IP for the 3115cn.  Then this means the gateway is 192.168.2.1.    DNS of course 255.255.255.0.

6/  So now, pull up the browser, any will do.  type in 192.168.2.9 and it will open the dell printer settings.  if you've not changed it, it's just "admin" with no password.  Then go to address book, server, click the first one or your existing one you wish to fix.

7/ now you must fill this out accurately.

Name:  Whatever you want-doesn't need to match anything, so if you have lots of computers, perhaps the workstation # or something or "Bob's computer" so it's easy on the panel, etc.

SMB Server, now you need the IP address of the computer you set up the share folder on.  This is easy to find.  Go to network, change adapter settings on left margin.  Find your wired LAN connection (this again should all essentially be the same for wireless with obvious differences), right click, click "Status", then click the "details" button.  Then look for "IPv4" and there is your computer IP address, so fill that in on the printer page of browser previously mentioned.

Server port # is 139 of course.

Login name is the login name of the person (Bob in previous example), it does NOT need its own login, that's stupid, but yes I tried it as well as my hair went gray.  So it IS logging in on your account.  Thus, if you have a password, you must click the box and type it in here.

server path should essentially be blank if you did it the way I mentioned (ie you're just in the bob folder, and among its subfolders of desktop, my documents, etc etc.   is your shared "Scans" (or whatever you named it) folder.  if you did it like that, the file path is blank, can't say I've ever had to put anything there.

8/  And finally..... here's the part I believe gives the 782 error!   (just when you were thinking there was no trick you hadn't tried)

Go back to network settings, if it's still up, just hit the back arrow on the explorer browser and then click (left margin) "advanced sharing settings"

This of course is all assuming you've set up a network here-windows 7 kinda bullies you into it, it's either "home" or "work" but it took you into it at this point and there's lots of dots-setting options, each with 2 choices.   They should ALL be the top dot except one-and that one is the rascal that caused the windows 7 fiasco.  The one that says "password protected sharing"  it should be off.  save the settings at bottom.

Now it should finally quit whining and immediately work, no more "login" error.

If you do need the password on, I would still wager the error has something to do with this screen, ie settings in the advanced network sharing area.  

Hope that helps somebody out there, this about drove me nuts, now it works great.  No thanks to dell.

5 Posts

January 11th, 2012 13:00

I still have not been able to setup scanning to individual win7 machines. I am currently scanning to a public folder on the server. This is not an ideal solution for us. Anyone have any worthwhile information on the 016-781 error on win7?

February 3rd, 2012 12:00

Had same problem today.  The 3115cn was setup to scan documents using the "Dell" account on the computer.  Went to the target computer and tried to login to the Dell account and found that its password had expired.  Entered a new password which fixed the login error.

February 3rd, 2012 12:00

Ensure account and password of login account on target computer is correct and current.

5 Posts

February 6th, 2012 08:00

This is not a login problem as the user accounts have not changed. The login and IP is the same for each workstation as it was when the Dell was scanning to the XP machines.

There is zero support for troubleshooting scanning issues on this model Dell. I'm going to switch scanners in the near future because I'm done wasting time on the 3115cn

February 8th, 2012 12:00

jetco,

Have you tried a login to the target computer using the same account and password that is setup in the scanner?  In our office, one computer was o.k. but one was not.  They both used the Dell account on the target computer to scan documents into.  We also removed all old scanned documents on the target computer.  After successfully performing a login on the target computer we re-entered the password on the scanner.  

John

5 Posts

February 8th, 2012 15:00

Yes, that's how I originally set up the scanner. I used the individual workstation login & password. I never setup any type of separate scanner login. I have verified that the user has not changed their password due to expiration or just because. I've even tried using administrator login credentials on the scanner but eventually they too suffered the same demise with the 016-782 error. I then switched to a server based shared folder using the admin credentials, and after 3 months, that too experienced the 016-782 error. I was able to reset the server folder but starting from scratch, but I could never get the scanner to login to the individual workstations again.

May 29th, 2012 09:00

I second this question...  There doesn't seem to be much support for this particular printer, and no one seems to know anything about these issues.  I have almost the exact same problem.  Any help would be appreciated..?

5 Posts

May 29th, 2012 12:00

I have NOT been able to make any progress with my scanning problems and I have given up on trying to use the 3115cn as a scanner. I have since purchased a Canon image runner and use it for my scanning.

May 29th, 2012 20:00

I believe the problem is not with the scanner but with the Windows Operating System (OS).  The Windows OS expects a user to change his password after a specified time period, i.e., every 3 months or so.  When I had this problem.  I went to the computer that scanner could not send the scanned file to and tried to log on under that user.  I couldn't so I had to go to the System Administration account and reset the password for the user.  If you change the password on the computer then you have to change the password on the scanner.  Once I could log in as the user the scanner could send scanned files to the computer.  

117 Posts

June 7th, 2012 12:00

For anyone out there having these issues a 016-781 error refers to not being able to find the selected device. That could mean a wrong IP address or a firewall blocking port 139(SMB). If you are on a DHCP network i would suggest trying host name instead of ip address since you may have individual computers IP's changing.

016-782 is a problem with either the username/password or the permissions on the share folder.

Hope that helps.

1 Message

March 7th, 2013 13:00

It is likely not a login/password issue since none have changed.  I have the same problem.  I turn off the printer for about 10 seconds then turn it back on.  It works fine after that.  I think it has something to do with communicating with the SMB server.  If the server is shutdown and restarted (we have monthly maintenance on our server in which this is done) the printer sometimes needs to re-authenticate and rejoin the network domain.  Turning the printer off then back on again is a bandaid fix for now.

March 15th, 2013 14:00

I could help you with the XP problem, but I'm simply too tired, and you likely bought 2 scanners since then.....

However, I do believe I can solve the Windows 7 issue of 016-782   If for nobody else, I'm posting this for myself as I figured it out 6 months ago, changed my system and was unable to use the scanner for 4 months.... SO I want a record here.  And we all know Dell won't help.  This is a WIRED solution, but if you have the multiprotocol card, I bet this fixes wireless too, I have it, but was glitchy at times so I prefer the printer wired into a router or network server or whatever, that the computer/s are also plugged to.

1/  don't install ANY software.   Get your system up and running.  If you have any remainder files from 3115cn, call me paranoid, but I'd format the disk and reinstall windows 7.  If you don't want to, continue on anyway after uninstalling any trace of 3115cn out of add/remove programs.

2/  Make sure 3115cn is ready to go.  Plug it into your computer via USB port.  Windows should detect it and install drivers it likes for every aspect (well, I don't use the fax, fax email is the only way to go).  All of them should get the green checkmark.   Again-let windows do it, don't download the garbage drivers off THIS site, nor try to mess with your original disk with installation files, etc....  if you have windows 7, you could likely throw away that 2" manual at this point lol.

3/   So, now the printer should work and it should work fast-lots of the dell drivers make it run like a 90s scanner, 30 seconds per B/W copy-no thanks.  Lightning fast with windows driver.... 

So now, onto the scanner, but steps 1-3 are important IMO.

4/  Set up your share folder just in the main drive of your user account.  So C:\User\YOU\Scans or whatever you wish to name it, doesn't have to be "Scans". On sharing, make sure you select your name, or the computer login account name, and make sure it says "read" and "read/write" as permissions.

Now you have your destination folder for scans (PDFs or whatever you set up).

5/  Now go in to the panel of printer.  Admin, go into the tcp/ip and give it an IP address.... so lets say your network is lynksys, Then you need to assign it an IP of 192.168.2.X  X=(2-256)  so for example, mine is 192.168.2.9, and I chose that IP for the 3115cn.  Then this means the gateway is 192.168.2.1.    DNS of course 255.255.255.0. 

6/  So now, pull up the browser, any will do.  type in 192.168.2.9 and it will open the dell printer settings.  if you've not changed it, it's just "admin" with no password.  Then go to address book, server, click the first one or your existing one you wish to fix.

7/ now you must fill this out accurately.

Name:  Whatever you want-doesn't need to match anything, so if you have lots of computers, perhaps the workstation # or something or "Bob's computer" so it's easy on the panel, etc.

SMB Server, now you need the IP address of the computer you set up the share folder on.  This is easy to find.  Go to network, change adapter settings on left margin.  Find your wired LAN connection (this again should all essentially be the same for wireless with obvious differences), right click, click "Status", then click the "details" button.  Then look for "IPv4" and there is your computer IP address, so fill that in on the printer page of browser previously mentioned.

Server port # is 139 of course.

Login name is the login name of the person (Bob in previous example), it does NOT need its own login, that's stupid, but yes I tried it as well as my hair went gray.  So it IS logging in on your account.  Thus, if you have a password, you must click the box and type it in here.

server path should essentially be blank if you did it the way I mentioned (ie you're just in the bob folder, and among its subfolders of desktop, my documents, etc etc.   is your shared "Scans" (or whatever you named it) folder.  if you did it like that, the file path is blank, can't say I've ever had to put anything there.

8/  And finally..... here's the part I believe gives the 782error!   (just when you were thinking there was no trick you hadn't tried)

Go back to network settings, if it's still up, just hit the back arrow on the explorer browser and then click (left margin) "advanced sharing settings"

This of course is all assuming you've set up a network here-windows 7 kinda bullies you into it, it's either "home" or "work" but it took you into it at this point and there's lots of dots-setting options, each with 2 choices.   They should ALL be the top dot except one-and that one is the rascal that caused the windows 7 fiasco.  The one that says "password protected sharing"  it should be off.  save the settings at bottom.

Now it should finally quit whining and immediately work, no more "login" error.

If you do need the password on, I would still wager the error has something to do with this screen, ie settings in the advanced network sharing area.  

Hope that helps somebody out there, this about drove me nuts, now it works great.  No thanks to dell.

I posted a lengthy answer below-for the windows 7 part of it, it may have something of help for you too, pretty much every step there from start to finish.  Works wonderful

see answer to jetco

No Events found!