Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

September 29th, 2008 16:00

5100cn Please Wait Calibrating Before and After Every Job

Our Dell 5100cn is extremely slow.  Before and after every print job, there is a message that says "Please Wait Calibrating".  If I print one page, it does this before and after the print job.  In fact, it is so slow, it typically takes 30 seconds plus just to get one page to print.  If I run a 100 page job, it calibrates, prints about 10-15 pages, calibrates again, prints 10-15 pages, calibrates again, . . . .

I have spoken to Dell tech support and even read a tech document on the support website that says this is "normal" operation.  There is no way this is normal.  This printer is the biggest piece of junk I have ever laid eyes on.  I have used MANY laser printers (our office uses about 5 different models currently) and this is the only one I have ever seen do anything like this.

Our printer stopped working today because it needs a new imaging drum.  I am trying to decide if it is worth wasting $150 on the imaging drum so that I can continue to stand in front of the printer waiting for a page or two to print.  Do current Dell printer models have this same issue/problem?  Or has it been resolved?  I am seriously considering going ahead and dropping $2000 on a new HP because I feel the ROI would come quickly by making it so my coworkers and I do not stand at the printer all day.

I know I am ranting, but I just want to make sure I am not missing something obvious before I make the jump.  If there is an easy fix (I could not find one by searching the forums or Google) I would love to try it first.  Thank you very much.

October 1st, 2008 19:00

From the lack of response or a solution, I will just assume that it is a piece of junk.  The printer is worthless.  If you are considering a Dell printer, spend your money on a 'real' printer, you will be glad you did.  (Unless you enjoy standing around waiting on a $1700 printer.)

28 Posts

October 7th, 2008 01:00

how is the printer plugged in? Into the wall or a battery or a power strip?  The printer needs to be in the wall because of the large amounts of power it pulls.

October 7th, 2008 13:00

The printer is plugged in to the wall.  There is no battery backup on the printer.  I even made sure that I installed the latest firmware for the printer, I updated the driver for the printer, I even set the standby power at 60 minutes (the highest setting) to prevent it from going to 'sleep'.

But, none of this has helped.  It 'Calibrates' before every print job and will print a maximum of 13 pages before pausing to calibrate again.

I believe Dell advertised this printer as printing either 35 ppm black or 45 ppm black.  It is more like 13 ppm black.  The calibration plus printing 13 pages takes 1 minute.  Most inkjets can do better than this!!

1 Message

July 28th, 2010 12:00

i have the same problem.

constant calibration.

you don't know if the print job is done or not; it calibrates multiple times in the middle of print jobs. how they can say it prints 35ppm is beyond me.

19 Posts

July 28th, 2010 15:00

I've seen instances of this issue prior, and non-Dell toner cartridges ended up being at fault.

Are you using Dell branded toner cartridges in this unit? If not, I would test Dell branded cartridges in the unit to see if this does anything to the calibrating message.

1 Message

January 20th, 2011 11:00

Did you ever find a solution to the issue of the Dell 5100 calibrating befre/after every page?  Ours does it too.

No Events found!