Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 23rd, 2009 18:00

922 printer - All in One Software won't install

I have a 922 all in one printer when I just upgraded to a new computer with Vista Premium, my fax console etc would no longer funtion.  Vista however, still recognized the print and copy and they worked okay.

After reading several threads here I did what "Pudgy One" suggested and uninstalled all my drivers and then re installed new drivers and The copy, print still work.  

But, I no longer have the dell all in one fax command center and I don't see any drivers or plug in for it either.  How do I get this function back?   I saw that someone else had 64 bit BUT I HAVE 32 bit, is there a driver, plug in or upgrade I can get so that I have this function back?   It worked so well UNTIL (ugh) Vista..................

Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 23rd, 2009 19:00

Slingersss,

I usually recommend that people re-install their printer following the instructions below. It will give you the Dell All-In-One Center.

Please follow the instructions below and the printer should install for you. Please make sure you have all Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch (a MUST with Vista machines) to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer. It takes a while.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer.

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

As for the fax program, I was told this application might be the fax program for Vista, but I cannot verify this.

Rick

2 Posts

February 24th, 2009 09:00

Hi Pudgy One,

I did what you explained in the order that you gave and SUCCESS!!  I now have my all in one center console back and everything else, the way it was BEFORE I got

Vista.  You are the absolute "computer God"!!!!   Thanks so much for your help, I don't know what I was doing that I couldn't get the console to install, it came right up

after installing the way you explained it.  

Thank you,

Shari

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 24th, 2009 11:00

Shari,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you solve your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Thanks,

Rick

1 Message

April 19th, 2009 20:00

Thanks Rick, I tried your links and I got the All-In-One Center for Vista. Livesaver!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 19th, 2009 20:00

missd,

GREAT Job! :emotion-21: Glad I could help.

Take care,

Rick

3 Posts

September 22nd, 2009 11:00

Thank you for your posts re installing Dell AIO 922 printer/scanner with VISTA.

Initially, I had used the Vista install wizard after plugging my old 922 flatbed scanner into the USB ports on my Inspiron 1545 and the All-in-one center was nowhere to be found so I could not figure out how to scan.

After finding your instructions via Google; I just installed the old 922 on my new Inspiron 1545 using your instructions and it installed successfully. That was after a few tense minutes while the Dell uninstall program worked. (There was no clear indication that it was only uninstalling the 922 and that in combination with my worry, made it seem like forever.)

Initially I was able to scan but there was no OCR capability until I installed OCR using your instructions I found elsewhere. I will repeat them here because they are not in the post I am replying to:

"As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer dsk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program." - PudgyOne

The only thing I noticed was that I did not have a Abbyy folder on my disk; so I just used the setup.exe file in the OCR folder. (The OCR folder had the ABBYY FineReader 5.0 Sprint.msi file in it so I figured it was the correct setup.exe file.)

Thanks again - it's folks like you that make a community work.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 22nd, 2009 13:00

BobMacKie,

Looks like you were doing your homework. GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: The OCR folder has a setup.exe file in it. Some printers have it and some don't as I am slowly seeing, just not sure which ones. If it doesn't have an OCR program, then I suggest one from the internet like Simple OCR

Thank for the compliments and take care,

Rick

14 Posts

November 8th, 2009 04:00

Thank you for rescuing me from a black hole.

It took me a while to realise I had to 'click' on the setup.exe file to install the Dell AIO Centre... and then I was happy.

I now have my familiar Dell AIO centre which I know how to use.

Michael

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 8th, 2009 06:00

Michael,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Looks like you've been doing some research. Glad you got it working. Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

14 Posts

November 8th, 2009 23:00

Update;

Dell 922 AIO on Vista now works well.  I notice that there is a longer pause before certain actions take place, 5 - 10 seconds; from start print to printer starting up, from start scan to scan starting, multiple page scans from completion of scan to question about another page.  On XP the delay was down to 1-2 seconds.

Would you have any ideas what might be causing the delay please?

Thank you and regards

Michael J Davison

1 Message

November 11th, 2009 18:00

I changed computers (my old Dell dimension 3000 took a dump) and now I have been able to load the software using the drivers on this thread, but there is no option for scanning on the desktop icon. I did a troubleshooting wizard on the scanner, and it shows my scanner is functioning, I just can't get the 922 to scan. It prints and copies with no problem. Can anyone help?

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/3528/8130.922.docx

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 11th, 2009 20:00

fsted2a,

Do you have the printer disk to install an OCR Program? If not, then try using Simple OCR it should work nicely.

Also try reading...

Update list of applications to send scans to

Rick

No Events found!