My Dell All-in-One 922 is misbeahving!
It jammed some paper so I cleared it but it insists it still has a jam. Warning message states "Press power, clear paper jam".
I have checked inside for paper stuck, cleaned rollers, turned ower on/off, unplugged and reconnected, and did find a drawing pin in back which I have got out by shacking it! :-)
I can feed paper through manually and all paths seem clear.
All top tips I found online BUT it still won't work!!!!!! I'm going to scream at it soon as need to print some urgent stuff for my work for Monday. Stressing now.
I'm running on Windows Vista on a Dell Inspiron 1545.
I understand the inconvenience that you are facing with the printer. I would be glad to assist.
Printer produces 'paper jam' error message, if paper is present inside. I understand that you have tried to clear the paper already. However, presence of tiny paper pieces inside the printer may be equally instrumental.
I would recommend you to follow these instructions for clearing the paper jam (Refer to the image below)
- Turn off your printer
- Lift the printer unit and position the scanner support between the tabs to keep it open
- Have a close look inside the printer to look for any small paper pieces
- Gently pull the paper piece from the printer
- Close the printer unit, turn on the printer, and print the document again
Dell 922 All-In-One printer also jams or misfeeds when printing jobs with multiple pages on glossy photo paper or thick paper like cardstock.
- Because all paper varies in physical characteristics, you can receive mixed results from different packages of paper even though the packages contain the same type of paper. If you encounter undesirable results, try the other side of the paper, a different type of paper, or another package of the same kind of paper. Most papers have a preferred print side indicated on the paper package. Load the paper so that the preferred print side faces you.
- Do not use the following types of paper with the printer:
Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.
Hi there - thx for your reply.
I have checked for the smallest bits of paper and can find nothing.
I had already done what you suggested and I have even managed to manually feed a piece of paper through but the printer will not print itself.
Can the printer be reset?
I do not believe there is any paper jammed in the machine.
I use correct quality paper and have not had problems with it previously.
As no paper jam or pieces are visible, please try the following steps:
Check if the Encoder Strip is Broken or Missing
- Power down the printer and unplug the power
- Slide the cartridge carrier inside the printer a couple of inches to the left
- Locate the encoder strip on the right-side of the cartridge carrier (Refer to image above)
- (Note) The encoder strip is a plastic strip with small markings over its entire length. The strip may appear to be translucent.
Reposition the Encoder Strip
- Remove the power cord from the printer
- Lift the scanner unit to expose the inside, where the printer cartridges are located
- Gently slide the ink cartridge carrier to the middle of the printer
- Gently move the top part of the printer belt to the right
- Using an index finger, gently push encoder strip (Refer to image above) down and then back up, to get it back into the slot located on the back of the ink cartridge carrier
- Gently press the strip first to the rear, and then forward, to ensure that it is seated correctly
- Manually move the ink cartridge carrier to the left, then to the right, to check the positioning of the encoder strip
- Once the encoder strip has been re-seated, close the scanner lid
- Re-connect the power cord to the printer
- If the issue persists, please perform the below mentioned steps
Ensure the Paper Tray is Not Overfilled
- Verify that the paper is not packed too tightly in the paper tray
- Check for the presence of a "max fill" line to indicate the maximum amount of paper that should be loaded at any given time
Adjust the Printer Paper Guides
- Adjust the paper guides to fit the size paper being used.
- The guides should be close (1/16" or less) to the paper without touching, so that the paper stays properly aligned without continually rubbing the guides
Clean the paper feed roller on the printer
- When paper is fed into a printer, the sheets are pulled in by a feed roller. To clean this feed roller, perform the following steps:
- Power down the printer and disconnect the power cord
- Remove all paper from the input tray
- Wipe the roller gently with a damp cloth
If the printer still produces the 'paper jam' error message, it indicates a hardware failure. You may want to replace the printer in that case. Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.
Unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick for 60 seconds. This will reset any error message the printer is getting.
Some people have turned the printer upside down and shook it. Other members have used a vacuum cleaner and cleaned near where the paper leaves the tray.
Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks
Welcome to Dell Community!
#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015