Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2013 13:00

944 Dell all in one printer cartridge lids will not close with new correct cartridges - never had this prob before -- how do I fix it ?????

I can't get the 944 ink cartridge lid to close down & snap in with new cartridges I am trying to load ??  never did this before - I can't even get the old cartridges back in -- can close the lid when empty, but can't snap it shut with cartridge in place..........

how do I fix ???  what is the problem ????

thxs - John R

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 10th, 2013 13:00

John R,

Are you using Dell Series 5 ink cartridges?

Rick

December 10th, 2013 14:00

Yes, I am using series 5 - it says so on the cartridge & I buy from Dell -- the empty black cartridge & current good color cartridge won't even go back into the slots so I can snap down the lid.

This never happened to me before -- I have unplugged the printer, let the spool reset itself in the middle & keep trying to get the old & new cartridges to fit but the lid won't snap down & close.

I can close and snap down the lid when the cartridge holder is empty - but can't get the lid to snap down when I load in the actual cartridge.

what else can I do ??

thank you for your quick reply - John Randall

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 12th, 2013 03:00

John,

Is one of the cartridges a photo cartridge?

Putting the photo cartridge in the worng side will cause this. The photo cartridge goes in the Black side(left side)

Black cartridge = black side(left side)           Color cartridge = Color side(right side)

Photo Cartridge = Black side(left side)         Color cartridge = Color side(right side)

Rick

December 12th, 2013 08:00

thxs for continuing to help me.

no the cartridges are not photo - this is how the prob started.  I was in the middle of printing a doc, & realized my very low black cartrige was about out of ink & would not print correctly so i cancelled the print job.  Then I got the new cartridge & tried to load it & the plastic lid would not snap down - the color ink cartr was good -- I thought I could fiddle with such & then took out the color cartridge.  I could then not get the new or old black ink cartri or the good color ink cartridge back in the plastic holder & snap down the lid ???

Never had this prob ever before ????

any other suggestions ????  I sure appreciate your help -- I am very, very frustrated with this ?????

thxs so much - John Randall.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 12th, 2013 13:00

John,

If you're using Dell Series 5 ink cartridges, and they're in the correct slots, mentioned above, the top should snap down. I really don't know why the top won't snap into place. My suspicions were the Photo cartridge goes in the left side, where the black cartridge goes and the color cartridge stays in the color cartridge area. For regular cartridges, the black cartridge goes in the left side, black side and the color cartridge goes in the color side, right side.

Open the printer and take out both cartridges. Try to snap the top down. Does this work?

If yes, then try the black cartridge next, in the left side. Try snapping the top down. Does it close?

Take out the black cartridge and put in the color cartridge in the color side, right side. Does it close? If no, then try putting the color cartridge in the black side, left side. Does it close? If yes, then you have a photo cartridge. In order for the printer to work, I think you also need a non-photo color cartridge in the right side.

Rick

2 Posts

March 5th, 2015 11:00

Did you ever find out why the cartridge carrier wouldn't snap shut because I am also having this same problem and can't get any help! I am so frustrated!

March 5th, 2015 12:00

sorry, can't help you - I could never find out why this same prob was happening - I could no longer use the printer - since my Dell lap top was approx. 8 yrs old or so, it was very slow & the older system could not handle all the graphics, constantly freezing -- so.......I decided to buy a new HP laptop & printer - both Dell units went to the recycle bin.  Was not worth investing dollars to solve this issue - laptop too old.

good luck.

March 19th, 2015 14:00

I am having the exact same problem!  It is like the cartridges won't go down low enough into their slots.  Have had this printer (Dell 922) a very long time, this is the first problem ever with it. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 21st, 2015 13:00

neldaintexas,

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges?

Black cartridge = black side(left side)               Color cartridge = color side(right side)

Photo cartridge = black side(left side)              Color cartridge = color side(right side)

Rick

March 21st, 2015 15:00

dapple5479, have you figured this out and been able to get the cartridges in your printer?   thanks for any help with this!

2 Posts

No, I was on the phone with the service dept at dell for 1/2 an hour and they acted like they didn't know anything about this problem.  I know how to change an ink cartridge but these just don't fit.  They sent me a new cartridge but of course it was the same type, series 5, and it didn't work either.  I gave up with Dell and went and bought a new printer, a Canon.  I needed a printer.

I know where the cartridges go, I have had this printer since 2004!   It was working fine until I went to change the ink, which I have done many times before!  This is the first time ever that the cartridges would not go low enough into their slots so I can close the lids.   My printer apparently has the same problem as a couple of other people have posted about. 

March 21st, 2015 16:00

dapple5479, thank you for answering!  It is really appreciated!  I hope Dell didn't charge you for the phone call! 

It is like something inside the printer is not in the correct position, even the old cartridge won't go back in.  Guess I will be buying a new printer, too!

Thanks again!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 21st, 2015 22:00

neldaintexas,

If you bought a photo cartridge, it will only fit in the left side. It will not close on the right side.

Are thee Dell Series 5 ink cartridges, generic or refilled cartridges?

Rick

March 22nd, 2015 05:00

It is a new Dell Series 5 cartridge, and is not a photo cartridge.  The old cartridge will not go back in either.  I am having the same problem as the other two posters had and could never resolve.  But thanks for trying to help, I do appreciate it.  I will just buy a new printer.  This one did last a very long time, so have gotten my money's worth out of it!   :)  Thanks!

No Events found!