Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2010 08:00

944 Not Printing But Connection Looks OK

944 Printer running on XP operating system will not print from the computer no matter what I try. Printer worked OK a week ago but when I tried to print yesterday, nothing would print and the print job seems stuck in the queue. Could not delete print job although message said "deleting". After 3 or 4 minutes (print job frozen, but thankfully the rest of the computer is not freezing or anything like that) , an error screen comes up with a "firewall access". I run McAfee, but I have allowed access through windows file sharing in the system sharing section of the firewall, so that doesn't seem to be the problem plus I haven't made any changes. I uninstalled, reinstalled, tried different USB connections, etc, but nothing seems to work. I ran through the troubleshooting guide twice, but nothing worked for me.

The printer is obviously recognized by the computer. I can copy, test print and scan from the printer controls on the 944 unit, but cannot print anything from the computer (command screen, notepad, webpage, nothing works). However, I can scan from the computer using the 944 so there doesn't seem to be a connection issue if I can access scan functions. One weird thing is that the ink level warning came up last week on the computer, but when I tired to print now, it doesn't come up on the computer, but the low level does appear on the 944 tiny printer info screen itself. It's almost like the computer recognizes and is communicating fine with the 944 in all aspects, except anything doing with the print function.  I was getting ready to print one more thing yesterday before I ordered a new print cartridge, but obviously don't want to waste the money if I can't get this printer working.

I think this summarizes the issues and attempts I have made to fix it. Any help would be appreciated--thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2010 12:00

Bluegnash,

Can you copy a document when you put it under the glass? B&W and color?

I would try disconnecting the printer, run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer. Then restart your computer. Install the Xp drivers. You should then get a message the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on). More instructions and the download for the patch can be found at...

944 All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Also try this tweak.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

Rick

2 Posts

March 22nd, 2010 14:00

Rick:

I ran the printer removal utility as you recommended and reinstalled per your directions. Test printing is successful!! I did not do the "tweaks" on the power management  of the USB you mentioned since everything seems to be working now. Although I'm not sure what was wrong to cause my original printing issues, I think it's safe to say that the removal utility allowed me to do a complete uninstall/install this time around. I'm guessing that my  reinstalling yesterday failed because I didn't run that removal utility to completley remove the printer.

I did want to mention that as the printer install program was running today after downloading the drivers, two Dell windows showing file install progress, etc. popped up at the same time showing the same thing. Also, I got two identical Dell windows after successful installation of the printer that allowed me to run the test print/alignment page. I was afraid that somehow it had loaded two copies of files or tried to install two printers, but I only see one printer and the associated files loaded. I'm not sure what happened with that, but so far everything is fixed and OK. Will address this issue on here if I notice any problem...just thought that was kind of weird.

Thanks for your quick assistance!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2010 14:00

Bluegnash,

Glad you got it working. Starnge about what you said happened. I suggest doing the tweaks, so Windows doesn't turn off your USB Ports to save power or you will lose communications, again. To get the communications back, you might have to run Delete Print Jobs, if a job is pending. Restarting your computer will bring communications back but doing the tweak prevents Windows from turning the ports off keeping the computer communicating with the printer.

Rick 

No Events found!