Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2011 15:00

946 AIO Printer re-installation

Dell AIO 946 Printer - After being being connected via usb port for at least a year and a half, my printer stopped communicating with the printer. I thought it was a driver problem and so I removed the existing driver and have tried several times to download a new driver, and couldn't get past the download manager at Dell. Finally I've installed a driver from CNET. I think I've installed the new driver properly, yet when the Windows hardware installation wizard pops up, my printer is not one that's listed.  No Dells at all, and I have a Dell computer.  Not being techno savvy, this is a stop sign for me. I have no idea what to do next.  

Maybe just order another disk to re-install my printer?  HELP

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 10th, 2011 17:00

mrsjf1,

First try running Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Then try reading...

How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the proper drivers, Windows Vista 32-bit for Windows 7 32-bit or Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the printer in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 946 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Try this tweak...

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

Rick

No Events found!