Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2012 20:00

946 printer on Windows 7, no install driver?

I have a Inspiron lapton Windows 7 and and Dell 946 AIO printer.  I downloaded driver from Dell website and installed it.  My Dell laptop says the driver is not installed.  After retrying 3 times I give up.  Dell support will not help, my printer support has run out from them.  This is a Dell computer issue.  Anyone have a clue how to fix?

85 Posts

April 17th, 2012 21:00

Hey JMC1976D,

While installing the driver did it give you any error message??

When are you getting this message.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 18th, 2012 03:00

JMC1976D,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista
Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 946 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

10 Posts

October 7th, 2013 17:00

I've run into the same issue with two computers today... it's not your laptop, I think it's the driver files themselves. My laptop says no driver found, even though I downloaded directly from the site. i've already been through the process of deleting print jobs, uninstalling/restarting/reinstalling. My error message is that the printer is not communicating.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 7th, 2013 18:00

Hi lilleigh21,

Uninstalling and re-Installing the drivers in the prescribed manner and starting the services necessary for the scanning application could resolve the problem.

Follow the below steps to reinstall the printer drivers in prescribed manner.

Please disconnect the USB cable that runs from the printer to the computer and uninstall the printer driver by using uninstaller software. Here is a link to download one.

http://bit.ly/VZKmEa

Install the software and uninstall the printer driver using the Advanced Uninstall option from the software. It is third party uninstaller software used to uninstall the drivers/programs from the computer.

The software prompts asking you to delete the Registry keys corresponding to the printer driver. Select all and delete them. Restart the computer to remove any traces of the printer software.

Perform the steps below and ensure that the services required for the printer to work are started.

1. Press the “Windows + R” to launch the run window.

2. Type “Services.msc” in the run window and hit the Enter key.

Right click each service mentioned below, click properties. Set the startup type as “Automatic” from the drop down menu and click “Start”. Please click “Apply” to save the changes.

The services to be enabled are:

• Human Interface Devices (HID).
  • Printer Spooler.
  • RPC (Remote Procedure Call).
  • RPC Locator (Remote Procedure Call Locator).
  • Windows image acquisition (WIA).
  • Windows Installer.

Insert the printer driver’s cd for AIO 946 printer and install the drivers in the computer.

If you do not have a cd use the following steps to download the printer drivers.

Download the printer driver from the link: http://dell.to/GIhXhl

NOTE: Please do not connect the printer using the USB cable to the computer prior to installing the drivers.

1. Click the above link and select the operating system of your computer from the list.
  2. Select the driver listed and click Download file.
  3. Save the file to the desktop.
  4. Double-Click on the downloaded file.
  5. Click “Yes”, when the utility prompts to extract the files.
  6. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
  7. Connect the printer using the USB cable when prompted.
  8. Try to print.

Please post the results.

10 Posts

October 8th, 2013 18:00

Not working.

I think I'll just go buy a Lexmark plug and play device, because obviously Dell isn't going to work. I've downloaded drivers directly from your site, yet my Windows installer says NO DRIVER FOUND. I've followed your steps (and similar steps from others) with the same result... the installation works fine through the Dell software installer that loads (setup.exe in C:\dell\drivers\R145441) - it goes through successfully and then when it gets to the end and tries to print the alignment page, it says the printer is not communicating... even though my computer picks up that a new USB device has been connected.

As far as I'm concerned at this point, it's just another Dell paperweight...

10 Posts

October 8th, 2013 18:00

I've installed and opened this program you recommended, and in searching "dell" it finds nothing. I assume this to mean I've already successfully uninstalled the drivers... is that correct? The C:\Dell\Drivers directory on my PC is already empty.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 9th, 2013 14:00

Hi lilleigh21,

Sorry about the situation. I suggest you to try these steps before coming to a conclusion. Check if Bi-directional support is enabled. If not, enable Bi-Directional support from printer properties. (From Printer Properties – chose PORTS tab – Check the box for “Enable BiDirectional Support”.

Disable Firewall in antivirus program and check; if you are able to print after firewall is disabled in the computer, then printer needs to be given exceptions in firewall settings.

Please check and post the results.

10 Posts

October 9th, 2013 14:00

Bi-directional support is enabled, no firewall on computer. Have decided to go purchase an actual plug and play device instead, as I don't have the patience to deal with this anymore. It shouldn't take two days to install a printer... that's ridiculous.

1 Message

March 23rd, 2014 08:00

I upgraded to Windows 7, but was not able to use my Dell 946 AIO printer.  I was able un-install, now I can't re-install.  I have an Inspiron.531

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2014 19:00

Jewett1,

When you installed the operating system, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Dell System Software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 946 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

No Events found!