Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

November 12th, 2008 20:00

948 installation hangs on Vista

I bought a new Vista based PC and tried today to move my 948 all-in-one printer to it.  I downloaded the Vista version of the printer s/w from the Dell technical support site, unzipped the file, then started setup.  The installation proceeded perfectly through installing the software until the very end where the installation software tries to update the system settings.  At this point the installation process hung forever.  The message on the screen at the hang point is "setup is updating your system settings".  I tried to rerun setup several times with identical results.  This is my first experience with Vista so I don't have a clue with respect to what the problem might be.  Any ideas for things I might try?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 13th, 2008 02:00

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Please remember to install the latest firmware for the 948 Printer.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Also try reading

How Do I Connect a Dell™ Wireless Printer to a Wireless Network

Choose your printer. Beneath your printer, select your operating system. You'll be redirected to another page. Then click on show all steps. It will walk you through the installation process.

Rick

November 13th, 2008 07:00

Thanks for the reply.  I'll give it a try today.  I'm assuming that the drivers have to install successfully before the firmware can be updated, and that the old firmware is not the cause of the problem.  Is that correct?  If the firmware needed to be updated before the drivers would install properly, then I could potentially connect the printer to my old system temporarily, and update the firmware there.  Which would you recommend? 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 13th, 2008 08:00

Yes, that is correct. The drivers have to install first. The firmware update is done with the USB Cable connected, after you have everything communicating.

Rick

No Events found!