Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2009 05:00

962 3300 wireless adapter

hi all,

i have downloaded the 3300 wireless adapter updates and was wondering if was possible to accomplish the following:

the dell aio 962 printer is installed on a xp desktop.  I have 2 laptops running vista..is it possible to install the 3300 adapter on the desktop and allow for sharing the 962 printer on a wireless network AND keep the printer as a locally installed printer for the xp desktop? so that the vista laptops can print by discovering the printer on the wireless network?

thanks in advance! -- jp

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

jp42,

I have a Dell Wireless Printer Adapter 3300<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

connected to a 964 printer.

Once you have the printer adapter working correctly with the printer, then download the proper drivers from Drivers & Downloads and install then, choose network, then select my printer is connected to a wireless print server and follow the instructions. It should work for all computers involved.

Rick

5 Posts

rick,

thanks for the previous response as well, funny thing is that i found one of your earlier posts which pointed me to the clean up utility and that worked fine...ill give your next solution a shot...i figured it should work but just thought id throw it out there...thanks ill let you know how it works out. -- jp

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 26th, 2009 09:00

JP,

I have a little procedure for this, which will use your wireless router but works great.

Rick

5 Posts

October 26th, 2009 09:00

rick,

can you outline that procedure for me?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 26th, 2009 10:00

JP,

This may seem lenghty but will make things work for you.

Make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista machines, until it prompts you to restart your computer. 

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

Fix your network first.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security. Most wireless devices work best with this type of security.

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels.(I use channel 11)

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds. Power everything back on, wait 30 seconds, now try to connect.

After router is done, now setup your wireless print server/printer.

3300 Utility

3300 Firmware

Attach the 3300 to your computer using the USB Cable and insert the 3300 disk. Follow the instructions. It should ask you for the network ID, type of security and password.

Now setup the printer.

Install the drivers, choose network, choose I'm using a wireless print server(if you do not see this, then choose add printer and you should see it then) and follow the instructions.

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

5 Posts

October 27th, 2009 07:00

duh,

i have to have the actual 3300 printer adapter dont i...looks like its 100.00 at dell?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 27th, 2009 07:00

JP,

I thought you already had one. In your first thread it says

hi all,

i have downloaded the 3300 wireless adapter updates and was wondering if was possible to accomplish the following:

the dell aio 962 printer is installed on a xp desktop.  I have 2 laptops running vista..is it possible to install the 3300 adapter on the desktop and allow for sharing the 962 printer on a wireless network AND keep the printer as a locally installed printer for the xp desktop? so that the vista laptops can print by discovering the printer on the wireless network?

You can do printer sharing using the desktop but have to have it turned on when you want to print from the other computers.

Sharing a printer through a wireless network

I just think I sort of read your post wrong, since you mentioned the 3300. Install the drivers on the desktop, allow printer and file sharing. Install the drivers on each computer, choose network and select the printer is connected to a host computer and follow the instructions.

I have the 3300 as I have all laptop in our home and no longer need a host computer on for the others to print.

Rick

No Events found!