Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2009 09:00

962 VistaSP1 Communication Not Available

I suspect this may have been resolved, but it's difficult to find an aswer the works ....

I have an AIO 962, which is connected via USB to a Dimension running XP Home SP3.  This prints fine as do my other XP machines on the network.

Printing to the 962 from an Inspiron 1525 running Vista Home Premium used to work but now, since the update to Vista SP1, doesn't!!  The printer driver appears to setup correctly as \\VistaMachine\Dimension962, but when trying to print a Test Page it gives "Communication Not Available".

I've tried everything, including trying a system restore - but I can't get back far enough before the SP1 update - deleting all of the old 962 drivers using the CleanUp utility, reinstalling the driver from the Dell website .....

Do I throw away the 962?

HELP!!!

6 Posts

February 10th, 2009 02:00

Can no-one help me with this?!  Can no-one point me at another thread that may help?!  I'm at my wits end and about to throw the 962 out the window!

6 Posts

February 10th, 2009 04:00

I am having pretty much the same exact problem, and ironically also feel that depending on how long it takes to get fixed, the only solution would be to toss this printer and get a new one, as I can't really go an extended period of time without having a printer to use.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 10th, 2009 08:00

I would suggest you try this. It could be as simple as having two identical accounts on each computer, with the same password and this may also help.

Sharing a printer through a wireless network

First, make sure the computer has all of Windows Updates. I have the custom ones too, especially .net framework, which is needed to run many applications. Also make sure you have the latest Java.

Now, try re-installing the printer this was to make sure it's installed correctly. Sometimes people allow Microsoft to update their drivers. This is bad. Microsoft offers sometime bad or out dated drivers and/or the drivers don't install correctly, causing the devices not to work correctly. Microsoft=Windows Updates ONLY!

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer.

Install the latest firmware for the 962 printer

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

6 Posts

February 11th, 2009 10:00

Did all of this exactly as directed, but the same problem occurs!  NB it wasn't possible to update the firmware from the Vista machine, only from the XP machine.

The Test Page shows in the AIO962 queue on the Vista machine but never reaches the AIO962 queue on the XP machine!

What have Microsoft done in the Vista SP1 patch?!?!

Is the only answer to re-install Vista and never let MS patch it?!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 11th, 2009 11:00

pd91223,

A couple of items.

Will System Restore allow you to go back far enough to when the printer worked?

Did you try rolling back the driver in the Device Manager?

Do you have an AMD USB Audio Driver Filter? There was an issue with the AMD USB Audio Driver Filter, it's unknown how far this issue will go.

Did you consider a repair install instead of re-installing? Microsoft OS Forum will help you do this on a Vista Machine. I haven't done this on my new Vista machine yet, so I really don't know the procedure.

Rick

6 Posts

February 12th, 2009 04:00

Rick

1. No, I can't do a System Restore back far enough - I tried the very earliest I had, but it still post-dated the last time the printer worked from the Vista machine.

2. I can't see an AIO962 driver in the Vista machine Device Manager.  Did you mean on the XP machine - but that's working, of course?

3. I can't see any AMD sound/audio devices on either machine.

4. I'll look at the MS forum for the Vista repair, but will wait for any other feedback from you before doing this means.

Many thanks for trying to help.

Paul

2 Posts

February 12th, 2009 07:00

I am having the exact same issue.  I have an XP machine with the 962 connected via USB.  It works fine.

Enabled print sharing and I can print from my XP laptop with no problems. 

Just got a new Vista laptop.

I downloaded the vista drivers from dell website, installed them on the Vista machine.  It found the shared 962 printer on my network, and looked like it installed correctly.  The 962 now shows up in my printers list, says ready, but when I try to print I get communication errors.

If you figure it out please post here what you did.  I will do the same.

Thanks!

6 Posts

February 12th, 2009 08:00

Mark

I assume you have Vista SP1 loaded on your new laptop, because everything worked fine before I loaded the SP1 patch!

I've tried absolutely everything short of reverting back to a pre-SP1 build and I'm not keen to do that (I can't do it by a simple System Restore because I can't revert that far)!

I can't seem to find anything on the MicroSoft website to help either, although it looks very much like something they've done in SP1 has contributed to the problem.

I wonder if anyone has seen this same problem with other manufacturers' printers?

Paul

2 Posts

February 12th, 2009 08:00

Yes, the new vista laptop came with SP1 pre-installed, so I cannot do a restore.

The first time I added the printer - I went into control panel...printers...add printer.  Searched my network and just installed.  I guess it was installed with the XP drivers.  I was able to print a few things.

Then windows update ran and it downloaded an updated vista driver for the 962.  Since then it hasn't worked.  I uninstalled the update, uninstalled all printer drivers, and tried again. 

Now I can only get the communication errors.  I do not know what else to do.

I will keep playing around with it as I don't want to shell out more $$ for a new printer...as I'm not even sure I'd be able to share anything between and XP and a Vista.

No Events found!