Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2010 17:00

964 Printer

Ok, So I finally got a All In One Center, Yey.

Can print a web page and document.  Yey

I can fax. Yey

What I dont get is I cannot scan a document.  Get no communication error message, restart computer, check cables ect.

Vista 64 is operating system.  Hate go back to square one and uninstall everything.  I am not even sure how I got the all in one center after multiple re-installs.

Any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 24th, 2010 19:00

bydesign4321,

You need at OCR Program.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

If you lost your disk, the try using Simple OCR

Rick

20 Posts

February 26th, 2010 18:00

PudgyOne,

Thanks for reply, am afraid I dont completely understand.  I did try to follow instructions, fount the Abby folder.  There are two set up icons in the folder but only one lets you run as adminstrator.  I tried all that.  At that point am I supposed to be able to scan from the Dell All In One Center?  Because I cant.  So maybe I did something wrong. 

Any input you have would be much appreciated!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 27th, 2010 10:00

bydesign4321,

First, I would disconect the printer. Download and run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer. ***Please make sure to read the warning about the patch if you have a Dell Computer.*** The Dell programs, if you need to replace them are located at Drivers & Downloads, enter your service tag number for the computer and then select the programs you need. 

Restart your computer, when prompted, after the patch(printer cleanup Utility) prompts you to do so. Then download the Vista 64-bit drivers that I have posted at...

964 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Patch, drivers and instructions are there.

As for the OCR Program. When you go to OCR, Abbyy, you see the setup.exe in the folder, right click on it, then left click run as administrator.

Then go to start, all programs, ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Sprint, and open it up. If you register it, and say it is for a Dell 964 Printer, it will register and then you'll be able to update it. The updated version works pretty well with Vista 64-bit and even Windows 7 64-bit.

Rick

20 Posts

March 1st, 2010 17:00

Rick,

OK so I did all that but still have issues

If I understand it correctly this Abby program take the place of the scan software that is never going to be compatible from the Dell 964 right?

Upon installation of the Abby, there are resolution issues that render the document corrupt and unreadable.

So, am I right?  Well I never be able to scan a document using the 964 software from the Dell AIO center.

The best I can do is use a third party software and work out the kinks in it and learn it to scan?

OR Buy a new printer.

bydesign

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 1st, 2010 18:00

bydesign4321,

The Abbyy program is your OCR program. Do you have the Dell All-In-One Center?

Did you try installing the Abbyy fine Reader in the compatibility mode?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 25th, 2010 21:00

bydesign4321,

If you installed Abbyy Fine Reader, open it, then register. Tell if came with the Dell 964 Printer. It will then allow you to update it.

Also read...

Update list of applications to send scans to

You have to use the Dell All-In-One Center to scan from.

If you're connected with the USB Cable, then open the Dell All-In-One Center and scan from there. I had my Dell 964 Printer attached to a Dell 3300 Wireless Print Adapter and had no problems with scanning.

Will try to help you is you can tell me what is happening, since I used to own the Dell 964 Printer.

Rick

20 Posts

October 26th, 2010 18:00

OK, Yes I have the Abby program , Yes I registered it, No there were no updates. 

When looking in AIO as per instructions, I see no abby program, yet it is on my computer.

When try to scan from AIO, error message communication error.  Yet it is communicating because I can print documents and web pages.

Question: When You owned a 964 , did you also have a Vista 64 bit PC, and are your sure you were able to scan?

I have no wireless printer adapter, only hard wired.

I tried to scan from the Abby / program itself by opening it and the preview of the document was unledgable.

Thanks, Keith

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 26th, 2010 18:00

Keith,

Abbyy only converts the image to text. Optical Character Recognition

When you went to Update list of applications to send scans to make sure Microsoft Word( I use Open Office(swriter) is selected, file type .rtf You may want to use the enhanced scan and if it cannot be found, add the Program manually.

Now when you scan to Microsoft Word, the image is read by the Abbyy Fine Reader Software and converts it to text in Microsoft Word or Open Office. The OCR is not needed to scan pictures but is needed to scan to Microsoft Word, Works, Open Office, Etc...

I had the Dell 964 Printer attached to Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit and to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and could scan on all the systems.

Rick

20 Posts

November 4th, 2010 19:00

Thanks for trying to help, I am a bit dense at times.

When trying to scan From AIO, I get the communication error on my screen.

I guess I will have to go back to square one for one more try before I junk it.

When running "patch" , and "drivers" should I disable norton IS and or Windows Firewall?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 4th, 2010 20:00

bydesign4321,

Disconnecting the printer.

Download and run the patch

Restart your computer.

Install the proper drivers

you'll get message the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

You shouldn't have to disable Norton unless the printer is not installing, You can disable NOrton is you think it will help.

Rick

20 Posts

November 6th, 2010 19:00

Pudgy, 

Preparing for one hopefully final reinstall. 

Question the patch you have posted G5/A00 says it is for a Vista 32 but is in your response for Vista 64 post, plus it does not say it is a driver removal tool.  Her is the link to it: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R166225&SystemID=PRN_PHT_964&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=9913&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=2&libid=40&fileid=224455   

Also When you day install the proper drivers is the G11A, A02 all I need or is there more?

I just want to do it right.  A list specific to my needs complete with drivers and steps would be great, rather than going into someone elses post to retrieve things.

Keith Vista 64 and 964

November 7th, 2010 00:00

Keith,

The patch, says it's for Vista 32-bit but works will XP, Vista and Windows 7. It really is a dell cleanup utility tool. It will clean out the printer drivers. This patch, if you read the warning, will also remove some other Dell programs. After you run the patch, you may want to install the Dell programs beofre proceeding.

Download the Vista 64-bit drivers from above links provided. Disable Norton to install and see if it works. If it works, the enable Norton. If Norton stops the printer from communicating, then you have to allow the printer past Norton.

Rick

20 Posts

November 25th, 2010 17:00

Pudgy,

Took the time to do all over again.  Still no scan.

When I try to R146813 in compatability mode,  Vista is NOT listed as a option for me.  Only previous operating systems are listed.

Ran the removal tool, installed the right driver because I can print documents.

Have AIO , when click scan preview I get cant commuicate window just as before.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 26th, 2010 06:00

bydesign4321,

Disconnect the printer. Run the patch(printer cleanup utility) restart your computer when prompted. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Put R146183.exe on your desktop. I see running in the compatibility mode does not work in a folder. Right click on R146183.exe and you should see this...

Click apply, then ok. Right click on R146183, the left click run as administrator. It will unzip the files for you to see. Double click on setup.exe and it should start with the instructions to install the printer. You'll see a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Rick

20 Posts

November 26th, 2010 10:00

Pudgy,

How do I send you a clip of the properties screen like you sent me for R146813?  I have no vista listed in the compatiblity mode, yet I have a vista home premium computer?

I thought I was completely removed printer with removal tool and maybe messed up there somewhere.  I must be doing something right because I am right back where I started with no scan still.

You can scan on your 964 vista right from AIO center?

Keith

No Events found!