Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2010 14:00

966 All-In-One

I recently obtained this unit used, and have installed it on an XP Pro machine.  I downloaded the R152277 firmware update, and have tried to install it.  The printer is connected by USB cable to the computer.  Every time that I try to install it, I get a "Timeout Error:  A problem has occurred with the firmware update procedure" message.  No error number.  The "initializing" bar makes it to 100%, but the "total progress" bar gets to 2% before stopping, and then displaying the error message.  How can this be resolved?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 25th, 2010 01:00

pbjbctox,

To update the firmware in a printer, you need to have the printer correctly installed first. I haven't recommended updating the firmware of a Dell printer for some time. Most printers work great without a firmware update.

Are you trying to install the printer on your computer?

Do you have the printer disk?

Make and model of your computer and operating system is helpful. 32-bit or 64-bit?

How are you trying to connect the 966 printer to your computer?

Does your Dell 966 printer have the wireless adapter installed?

Rick

38 Posts

November 25th, 2010 17:00

The printer is installed, Windows XP 32-bit, using the driver downloaded from the Dell website.  It took a couple of tries to get it installed properly, but it now works, and also works as a shared printer with a machine running Windows 7 64-bit.  It is connected via USB cable, and does not have the wireless adapter installed.

If the firmware update is not important, why does Dell offer it?

I gather that your advice is to ignore the update.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 26th, 2010 06:00

pbjbctox,

I used to recommend firmware updates but when there was a problem with one of the firmware updates, where it was making the printers doorstops, I stopped recommending the firmware upgrade. Printers under waranty, if you want to try it, is fine and it can be replaced. Your Dell Printer was made for Dell by Lexmark, so there are channels to go through to get some fixes.

If I remember correctly, since you're using a host computer, the 64-bit drivers need to be installed on the host computer to be able to print. I have never shared a printer through a host computer. I used a wireless rpint server or a Dell Wireless Printer(V715w). I always hated to leave a computer on so the other computers in our home could print.

Try reading Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP and this works both ways, so it should be of help. Remember firewalls and virus programs will block communications and you need to allow the printer past them.

Rick

38 Posts

November 26th, 2010 20:00

Thanks for your suggestions.  Printing from either the host or the 64-bit Windows 7 machine in the same workgroup works fine.  The only issue is the firmware update.  It does make one wonder, though, why a manufacturer offers firmware updates but they appear to be completely optional.

Yeah, this, and other, Dell printers are made by Lexmark; I wish that it were otherwise.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 26th, 2010 22:00

pbjbctox,

The firmware update has to be done with the computer that's connected to the printer with a USB Cable. If you think there is a problem with the firmware, I can send a report to my contacts but since there was a holiday, the responce may be a little slow.

Rick

38 Posts

November 27th, 2010 17:00

Yes, I think that there is a problem with the firmware.  All the attempts to install it have been from the computer to which the 966 is connected via USB cable.  Every effort results in the same timeout error. 

The only issues which I've not been able to solve are how to scan multiple pages using Dell's software, and how to turn off FAX error correction mode and reduce FAX transmission speed to 9600.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 27th, 2010 19:00

pbjbctox,

Sounds like you have Comcast or some other type of high speed connection. Faxing with Comcast Cable

I send a report to my contact. It usually has to go through channels of testing to make sure things work on all platforms, so it may take a while for anything to produce.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2010 18:00

pbjbctox,

I don't have my Dell 964 Printer anymore, just screenshots. Try looking in start, in search type, printer setup utility. Look at the settings, it should be somewhere here, I think. These were the settings when I had Verizon DSL, but I used a DSL Filter on the phone line in the wall. You'll have to look around in the tabs, probably send. Since I moved, all we use are our cell phones for phone and Comcast for Internet.

Rick

38 Posts

November 28th, 2010 18:00

Thanks for passing it on.  The printer seems to work okay in its current situation, so a firmware upgrade is not high on my list.

Actually, I have "extended" DSL from my phone company, 768k.  Cable is not available where I live, and the DSL became available within the last year or so.  I did have satellite internet, which was a headache--connecting to and exchanging data with my office server via VPN actually was faster via dial-up than via satellite.  I'm the last house in my subdivision to be able to get DSL--all the rest are too far from the phone co. station.

My backup plan is any of five free fax services, each of which allow 2 three-page faxes per day.

Any idea on how to disable the fax error-correction mode and to reduce the speed to 9600 bps?  Both of those are recommended for fax over VoIP.  Also, the CODEC of the VoIP device makes a difference.

No Events found!