Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2009 10:00

966 Printer, Vista, Document Won't Leave Spooler

Document Stuck in Print Spooler

I have a Dell966 printer with Vista 32 that was a factory install on a new laptop.  I didn't have problems with the printer on my XP.  I have tried a few different Dell drivers and reinstalled them a few times. 

The document will go to the spooler but will not leave the spooler, I can't even delete it even though is says its deleting.  Now, I can manually remove it by taking a variety of steps which I already know.  The problem is that no matter what kind of document I send the first one always gets stuck.  I can easly delete the second document, if one was send, but the first won't go away w/out taking some additional steps.

I was able to get it to work for a day but uppluging the computer power, removed the black box that plugs into the back and disconnecting the USB cable.  The next day I had the same problem with the spooler and disconnecting everything didn't work this time.

I have not idea what to do next.

Thank You

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 12th, 2009 11:00

EFL,

First I would remove the print jobs from the computer. Sometimes this helps.

Delete Print Jobs

The, since you didn't say how the 966 printer is connected, I recommend that you use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings.

To install the printer properly, the best way is to follow the instructions below.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers, you'll be prompted when to connect your printer.

When finished, install the latest firmware for the 966 printer.

You may also need to read this,  

How Do I Connect a Dell™ Wireless Printer to a Wireless Network

Choose your printer. Beneath your printer, select your operating system. You'll be redirected to another page. Then click on show all steps. It will walk you through the installation process.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 12th, 2009 12:00

EFL,

Patch MUST be run with Vista systems. If it doesn't install with these instructions, then the computer operating system may need repaired. Having all Windows Updates, especially net framework and the latest Java helps.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

Install the proper drivers, you'll be prompted when to connect your printer.

When finished, install the latest firmware for the 966 printer.

Rick

2 Posts

January 12th, 2009 12:00

Driver won't install properly, I think its conflicting with some automatic driver search Vista preforms.  I still love that fact that a 10+ year old HP is not even remotetly a problem and this one is a constant nightmare. 

I had been using USB but have wireless card which would have been better but I am terrified of trying to get that to work too.

Frankly I am so frustrated with this I am not sure I even want to spend more time on it.  If I can't get this to work soon its not even worthly of a paperweight.

No Events found!