Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2009 17:00

966 all in one printer

I have my printer set up wireless. I can copy but I can not scan because the printer is asking for a PIN? I can not use the fax feature also?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 9th, 2009 18:00

Marty,

I really don't see the fax working because the fax needs the old type of analog phone line with a dial tone, unless your VIOP provides such a service. I really don't fax unless I have to, I prefer sending and receiving via email whenever possible. If you cannot get the fax to work, then you'll need to use third party software and pay the price to send and receive. People need to get with the times and email instead of faxing, it can also save on paper and save a tree.

I wish you luck. 24 comes on in 25 minutes. Here's your picture. outside line goes to 13, extra phone, answer machine to 14.

FAX connector (— upper connector)

Slot into which you plug an active telephone line to send and receive faxes.

NOTE: Do not connect additional devices to the FAX connector (— upper connector), and do not connect a DSL (digital subscriber line) or ISDN (integrated services digital network) to the printer without using a digital line filter.

PHONE jack connector (— bottom connector)

Slot on your printer into which you plug additional devices, such as a data/fax modem, telephone, or answering machine. Remove the blue plug before use.

NOTE: If the phone communication is serial in your country (such as Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Austria, Belgium, Italy, France, and Switzerland), you must remove the blue plug from the PHONE jack connector (— bottom connector), and then insert the supplied yellow terminator for faxing to work correctly. You will not be able to use this port for additional devices in these countries.

USB connector

Slot into which you plug the USB cable (sold separately). The other end of the USB cable plugs into your computer.

33 Posts

March 9th, 2009 19:00

Thanks for you quick reply Rick.

I have the wires set up from the Voip box to # 13 with a DSL In-Line Filter on the DELL AIO & #14 is going to the phone line. Correct me if it's wrong?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 9th, 2009 19:00

Marty,

That sounds correct. I don't know what type of ISP you're using. I have DSL so I need a dsl filter on everything except my DSL mode/router. I don't know how to you're going to have it answer faxes, unless they offer some type of dinstinctive ring feature.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 9th, 2009 20:00

Marty,

Using any settings, the fax machine will answer the calls instead of the answering machine and phone. Road Runner is cable, so if I'm correct this will ot work unless they have some special setup.

Using the old analog phone lines, the ones with the dial tones, you would use dinstinctive ring feature but you have to subscribe to this feature with the hpone company. Cost around $9 a month. If you had some type of DSL instead of cable internet, then you'd have it made. I didn't see anything about this on your printer.

966 Faxing

Rick

33 Posts

March 9th, 2009 20:00

Rick,

I have Road Runner or also Bright House for my ISP. I have my dsl in-line filter conected from the back of my Dell 966 from the FAX line going to the VOIP box. The distinctive ring is set right now to Any Ring. Others are Single ring, Double ring, Triple ring.

33 Posts

March 10th, 2009 09:00

I was going through the fax settings under Ringing and Anwsering there is a Manual Pickup Keycode that was blank. I entered DELL* (3355*) I don't know if this is important to be able to make the fax pick up. I will test it when my friend is by his fax machine to send me a fax.

33 Posts

March 10th, 2009 13:00

I also have my Auto Anwser set to off. If you go to the Fax Setup then Ringing and Anwsering I have Fax Foward set to *Off. Below that it says Manual Pickup Keycode. Should I leave it blank or enter 3355*. Also should  the DSL Filter be pluged in #13 or 14 in the back of the Dell 966.

Thanks,
Marty

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 10th, 2009 13:00

Marty,

In the Dell All-In-One Center, Printer Setup Utility, I have mine settings for Receive, Auto Answer set to OFF. You can then manually enter 3355 when you do get an incoming fax.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 10th, 2009 14:00

Marty,

13 = Active phone line, as listed above.

Rick

33 Posts

March 10th, 2009 15:00

Should the in-line DSL filter be pluged in #13 or #14?
Should 3355* be entered in the Manual Pickup Keycode?

FAX connector (— upper connector)

Slot into which you plug an active telephone line to send and receive faxes.

NOTE: Do not connect additional devices to the FAX connector (— upper connector), and do not connect a DSL (digital subscriber line) or ISDN (integrated services digital network) to the printer without using a digital line filter.

PHONE jack connector (— bottom connector)

Slot on your printer into which you plug additional devices, such as a data/fax modem, telephone, or answering machine. Remove the blue plug before use.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 10th, 2009 16:00

Marty,

Picture I see say 13 is to the wall. look at these pictures.

And this one.

Rick

33 Posts

March 10th, 2009 17:00

I see the same pics in the owners manual. The 2nd pic shows the in-line filter connecting from a wall jack. I have a VOIP box. So the in-line filter should go to #13 or to the VOIP box?  What about the 3355* is that needed or not.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 10th, 2009 20:00

Marty,

3355 is needed if you have the auto answer turned off, you enter this code to answer an incoming fax, if there is one.

Your basic setup should look something like....

wall > ISP Modem/router > wireless router(if any) > wired/wireless

If you have DSL, I would thing you'd need the DSL Filter still at the wall. I was always told that everything, phones, answering machines, faxes, etc..., need a DSL Filter. Everything except the DSL Modem router itself. You may share a DSL filter.

wall > DSL Filter > splitter > multiple devices

Maybe that will shed some light. If you have DSL, when you pickup the phone, do you hear the high pitched squeeling of DSL?

Rick

33 Posts

March 10th, 2009 21:00

Rick,

Can't receive incommining fax but I can send a fax?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 10th, 2009 22:00

Marty,

I think I see what is happening. Your printer is seeing the phone line because of the DSL Service, so it can send outgoing.

How about trying the DSL filter in wall, voip box, then printer? What happens?

Maybe wall, dsl filter splitter voip box to self and printer on seperate split? Try a couple of different combinations but if you don't get everything working fully, then remember what you have right now, you can at least send.

Another suggestion would be to contact your VOIP provider and ask them how they recommend plugging in a fax machine to your VOIP service. They may have something special that is needed to complete the circuit.

Rick

No Events found!