Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2012 15:00

966 network or Wireless printing

I have recently had to reinstall my 966 software on my Dell D830 and Windows 7 64 system. I got it working only after I uninstalled another shared Dell printer 926. 

I can print no problem on my dell 966 via usb. 

I tried to install the second driver for the wireless printing but it will not connect to my wireless router.  So as an alternative I tried to install to print via the network via wired connection and in in that mode it does not even discover the printer exists.  It assigns an IP address but even when I try to use the advanced settings it still does not finish. 

What is the best method for printing via a network ethernet or wireless?  Are there any specific steps I can do to trouble shoot the install process? To me it seems to be a installation issue.  I have looked at various threads and have followed the optimal wireless settings. 

I noticed that there is a firmware update but since I can not connect to via the network I can update the firmware... I tried via the ip address that was assigned but it does never finishes seems to just time out.

What I want is to be able to wireless print or at a minimum network print.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 13th, 2012 19:00

tdseward,

Did you recently install/reinstall Windows 7 64-bit? If yes, did you install the drivers in the correct order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Make and model of your wireless router and the type of security you're using? 32-bit or 64-bit?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

2 Posts

December 15th, 2012 07:00

Rick,

I did not reinstall windows 7. I removed the driver because I  started getting a error which was preventing me from being able to print.  

my wireless router is Att U-verse 2wire.

It is set to WPA-PSK (TKIP and WPA2-PSK (AES) not really sure if it is 32 or 64.  but I think it is 32 as the password is only 10 characters.

I am using Microsoft Security Essentials.

Thanks in advance for your help in trying to get this resolved.

Keep in mind that USB is working... but I can not access the printer via a Ethernet either (it never discovers the printer) when trying through the install process. When I attempt via wireless is seems to get an ip address from the router but when it trys to verify during the installation it never verifies.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 16th, 2012 17:00

tdseward,

Start, control panel, system. There it will tell you if your system is 32-bit or 64-bit.

I recommend using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings I use channel 11. I would make a new SSID to make connecting easier.

Then run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Make sure the printer is not usb cable connected.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode Choose new installation, then choose networkj and follow the instructions. It will prompt you to connect the printer, find your network and ask for the password to your network.

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 966 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

For additional computers, choose addition computer, network and follow the instructions. If using a desktop, since the desktop will be using the ethernet cable in the wireless router, choose additional computer, network and follow the instructions. Since the wireless router communicated with the printer, you will not need any cable attached. You can connect wireless or with a cable but not both.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Rick

No Events found!