verwimp
1 Copper

Re: 966 printer won't print

I too am having the same problems.  My printer worked initially but then just problem after problem and I am so frustrated.  Has anyone ever figured out a fix yet??What about Dell?  Have they been able to help anyone with this?  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling thinking I could get it going again but it always says there is no communication with the wireless adapter.  Then when I do the test page pop up goes from 1%-100% but nothing prints.  I am running XP on a Toshiba and my husband is too yet his computer (also a Toshiba) prints fine on the Dell.
0 Kudos
Traillens
1 Copper

when my printer does that I usually unplug the power from the printer and wait 30 seconds. Also turn off the PC and then plug the printer back in and re start the pc. That has worked for me some of the time. good luck.
Have not heard anything from Dell about a fix yet either.
0 Kudos
verwimp
1 Copper

Thanks.  I tried that and it seemed to clear things because about 4 meters from 0-100% came on the screen, but alas when I tried another test page it did the same thing.  Then I shut off all my antivirus software (Kaspersky) and tried a test page and it worked fine.  Every time I turn it on though the same thing happens.   I have sent an email to Kaspersky support to find out what they know of this.
0 Kudos
Splitshot638
1 Copper

David ,
Iv'e been dealing with mine for almost a year now , well since May 1 st. anyway many many tech support people  another replacment printer and even one of Dell's Vista Pro's he got it to work for a couple of days , and gave me a bogus phone # to call him back on if I ever had any other problems , I think the only problem I have is this Dell A966 piece of JUNK......
0 Kudos
ObscureJ
1 Copper

I bought a 966, including the wireless adapter, duplex attachment and inks, with a 1720 laptop at the end of November 2007; in total I spent over £300 on the printer and to echo the last poster here, it certainly does appear to be a load of junk (polite version).

As all my new kit arrived in the lead up to Christmas, and I was also upgrading my internet connection to wireless broadband - with another, this time free, Dell laptop - and changing mobile contracts, I had a lot to set up and 'play with', and having run a test printer page when I installed everything, I took it for granted the printer worked.

Scanning some very old b&w photos just before Christmas was cumbersome and produced rather poor quality images, but as they were hurriedly e-mailed for a Christmas surprise I didn't give more thought to it until the beginning of January...when the fun started.

Testing the printer properly I was appalled at the slow speed - as much as 4 minutes for a colour A4 page - and the terrible quality - veritcal striped variations in tone across whole pages at 1cm intervals. I contacted Dell support and was recommended to download some optional firmware that said it fixed a problem with the fax! I was dismayed and suspicious to see that the printer has now been discontinued only a month after I bought it.

I tried changing settings to speed up the printing, and printing via usb (not the point of choosing this printer, especially as the wireless adapter was an extra at vast cost!) - print speeds were quicker, but still only at best 6ppm for black text in draft! When I chose it Dell's spec quoted 32ppm for black.

Today the printer stopped working. I won't give more details because it was exactly as described above.

If this printer has had known serious problems right back to July 2007, why were Dell still selling it at the beginning of December?

Does anyone know of one that has worked properly without problems???

I shall be fighting this one with Dell until I get a replacement that works, which looks like it won't be this model.
0 Kudos
Traillens
1 Copper

Think Epson.
Gave my hubby my old Epson for his ofc when I got the Dell 966. After 10 years it still works better than the new 966. I think Dell sells Epson too. Maybe they could do an exchange?
Never thought to check the ppm vs what was promised. You raised an excellent point. I honestly believe, Dell was overwhelmed with orders and quality check was left out of the equation in an effort to meet demands of shareholders. That was expressed by a Dell employee.
I will say the XPS410 PC works beautifully, as does the 24" widescreen monitor. The 966 AIO ? Not.
0 Kudos
jtriumph
1 Copper

They explained to me that I only had 21 days to exchange the printer. I think I might hook up my old HP PSC 1100. I thought that was bad until I got the Dell 966. It's sad really. I'm starting to accept that I've been ripped off and I can't do a thing about it.

I should say. Dell's customer support staff is great. They did everything that their policy would allow. I even got a replacement to correct the network problem. I told them it wouldn't work but they sent it anyway. Well, as it turns out, I was right. After a few days I could no longer print over the network until I removed the drivers and software, then re-installed all of it. That worked for two more days, then broke again. It's just a bad product.
0 Kudos
ObscureJ
1 Copper

I don't understand how you can have been told you only had 21 days to exchange, similarly an earlier post in this thread who seemed to say they'd been told 30 days. My documentation from Dell says the printer comes with 1-year warranty. In other words if it doesn't work within the year they will repair or replace it . Any replacement during that time must start a new 1-year period; they can't say otherwise as that becomes a 'new' machine.

If my experience and that of the rest of the posters here is anything to go by, this printer is "not fit for purpose" and under the trades description act it must therefore be replaced or the full cost of purchase refunded. I will have no hesitation in contacting the Trading Standards department if Dell don't honour this. And of course there's Watchdog...

The very fact that Dell have discontinued the printer and replaced it with a new version indicates they know it to be inherently faulty. I suppose someone who has a 966 with wireless adapter that works is unlikely to come into one of these forums, but I have considerable doubts that a such a person exists.

Message Edited by ObscureJ on 01-08-2008 06:12 PM
0 Kudos
Traillens
1 Copper

you are absolutely right. And yes, their support people bend over backwards to be helpful. Trick is to find one who has the authority to replace a defaulty unit. Perhaps you have to use the same "trouble code" to il;lustrate continuing efforts to repair, then maybe it gets bumped up to a supervisor.
I'm not concerned about them making a new model and stopping the 966. That is routine practice in technology. You know, out of date before it leaves the warehouse.
0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Did you try this?

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos