Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2009 05:00

A940 Printer on Vista - AIOC stopped

I am having problems in moving my USB connected A940 printer and All-In-One-Center to my new Vista 32 bit PC.  The printer and AIOC software still work great on my Dell Dimension 4550 XP Home Edition desktop (which I love, but the hard drive is dying so I'll be rebuilidng once my new platform is set).  I originally incorrectly installed on the Vista PC from the printer CD that came with my old Dell XP platform.  Per instructions via several related threads in this forum (2 key reference URLs are listed below), I believe I have removed and reinstalled everything as it should be -- over a number of iterations.  I have downloaded the patch and ran the clean-up (R166244 & R166315).  I downloaded drivers and installed (R153049).  I downloaded the  "App" (R153717) and executed --it unzipped but no installer started.  I searched the unzipped directory and located the windows installer (fxredist) in the unzip directory and ran it -- not sure that anything was successful.  I downloaded the firmware upgrade (R74855), but receive an error in trying to run A940V284 -- indicating it did not find a driver.  The printer works fine.  The All-In-One-Center appears in my start list, but when I try to launch, I receive the "AIOC.exe has stopped" error.  (If it matters, the new Vista platform is a Compaq Presario running Norton security software.)  Any help / insight would be most appreciated.  Thanks.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/18457427/18621996.aspx?PageIndex=1

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19249419/19399651.aspx#19399651

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 19th, 2009 13:00

DaveR55,

Follow these instructions below and then tell me what happens. You didn't state if you have Vista 32-bit or 64-bit. Also, since you re-installed the operating system, if you did the from a fresh install instead of the recovery partition, then you'll need these drivers installed in this order.

The Desktop/Notebook Utility needs to be installed first, then the chipset drivers. If they are NOT installed first, then the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista machines) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Now install the proper Drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Or

Try this FREE OCR Program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

What happens now? 

Rick

7 Posts

May 19th, 2009 21:00

Rick,

Thanks for the quick reply.  My PC is a new Compaq Proliant running Vista 32 bit OS.  I followed the steps in your note -- basically retracing my prior iterations.  The result is the same.  My printer is working, but when I try to start All-in-one-center (where all the great features live), I receive the same error "AIOC.exe has stopped working".  I have tried using the original printer CD to run the Abby reader per your suggestion, but that did not work -- any executable / set-up / installer / app file I tried to run within that CD directory or sub-directory yielded a "wrong OS" error -- which is not surprizing since that disk was for XP and I am trying to install on Vista 32 bit.  (I stopped short of trying to install the free PDF OCR scanning program since it is getting late.)  Was something possibly trashed in my new vista PC back when I did that first incorrect install attempt from that old XP printer CD?  I could possibly restore to factory / clean OS state, but I would like to have some concrete rationale before taking that extreme step.  I've followed all steps to remove the "bad" printer install -- and was somewhat successful because I do print.  Any ideas as to why the "AIOC.exe the stopped error" situation is still occurring? 

Again, I do appreciate the help.  I am open to any ideas on this mystery.

Thanks, Dave

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 19th, 2009 22:00

Dave,

Usually, disconnecting the printer, running the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer, restarting the computer, then installing the proper drivers for the most part works. Using the disk, the Vista drivers are usually NOT there to install, that's why we use the downloaded drivers.

How is the printer connected, with a USB Cable? Are you trying to share the printer with another computer? Is the printer using a wireless network?

What are you trying to scan to? Are you trying to scan to something like Microsoft Word(Open Office) or just as an image?

Rick

7 Posts

May 21st, 2009 05:00

Rick,

I agree that the Vista driver download approach is the appropriate path -- and I did get the printer working per your instructions.  I only returned to the old CD for the Abby Reader install, as suggested.  

My printer connection is direct to PC via USB with no sharing.  I literally unplugged from the old PC and into the new one sitting next to it with the same cable.

I have used All-in-one-center to scan all types of documents -- pictures and text.  I do not even get into AIOC now to attempt any such scans.

On the new Vista PC, when I try to start All-in-one-center, the pop-up presents -- looking like the application is starting.  However, I then receive the "stopped" error. 

I am beginning to wonder if the VIsta OS or possibly Norton Security software might be stopping the application -- detecting some perceived conflict or security risk.

I am receptive to any ideas on this puzzle.

Thanks, Dave

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 21st, 2009 08:00

Dave,

First, I have a little tweak that might help a lot. Second, on the Abbyy Reader, my instructions usually work with all versions except with Vista 64-bit systems. I used to have a FREE version that could be downloaded but they have changed to another website and it's not available there at the present time.

The Dell All-In-One Center is in the drivers package, so if it did not install, then I would disconnect the printer, right click on the patch, left click run as administrator and run iit until it prompts you to restart your computer. Restart, then install the proper drivers and see if you get the Dell All-In-One Center, it should be there. Do NOT join the ink improvement program on Vista as it seems to have some type of conflict.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

Rick

7 Posts

May 26th, 2009 17:00

Rick,

Thanks for the advice.  I reviewed everything on my PC and noticed that some outdated drivers / upgrades I had installed based on some old forum threads were still showing up, even after running the clean-up patch.  I suspected that this was causing the problem so I decided to go ahead and RECOVER my PC to the original factory configuration.  I then followed your advice (less the clean-up patch, since this was effectively a new install) and download the driver, app, and firmware files from Dell's site.  All worked perfectly.  I appreciate the help.  Your instructions were right on the money!

Thanks,

Dave

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 26th, 2009 17:00

Dave,

ALRIGHT GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Glad you got everything back in order. Could you mark the verified answer(s) that help you fix your issue(and yes please mark your last post) so that if others search the forums, they can see what you did to correct your problem.

Rick

7 Posts

May 26th, 2009 18:00

Rick,

I am happy to do so -- hopefully I am providing the proper tags and verification points for the A920 printer and AIOC install.  If not, feel free to suggest the "how to" info.

Thanks,

Dave

1. Start with a clean Vista 32 bit platform

2. Follow Rick's (PudgyOne's) instructions with one exception -- skip the patch install (R166315) as clean-up is not needed for a new PC running Vista 32 bit OS

a. Download Dell's driver (R153049) per instructions provided by Dell at the embedded link site (AIOC is in the driver file set)

b. Download Dell's App (R153717) per instructions...

c. Download Firmware Upgrade (R74855) per instructions...

d. Execute downloads in sequence (a, b, c)

Note 1: When installing driver  (a), you may receive a prompt that the Fax / Scan app is not found (depending on sequence of install / unzip) and a pop-up will allow for associating with another package.  I just kept that window open and ran the app (b) executable.  Then went back to the step a pop-up and selected the dell app from the association list.  It worked just fine.

Note 2: After some basic testing and closing of AIOC, I ran the firmware upgrade (c) -- which then runs A940V284 executable, as documented.  The next time I started AIOC it appeared to not be launching.  However, this turned out to be a one-time delay (possibly initialization "stuff"), that has not since recurred.

All works as advertized!

No Events found!