Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

February 8th, 2010 06:00

A940 will not print in black, copy in black

After replacing a series 2 black cartridge with a new series 2 cartridge from Staples, my A940 printed a little bit of black and then just quit.  It still prints colors fine.  I figured I must have a bad cartridge, so I returned it to SAtaples and got another new black cartridge.  Same deal.  I have unplugged the power and the power box, waited 60 seconds, re-plugged everything and then removed and reseated both cartridges.  Still no black.  Any thoughts on what this might be?  Thanks!

139 Posts

February 8th, 2010 15:00

This likely could be caused by a couple of  typical issues. The first being refilled cartridges by you had mentioned they were new so i don't suspect this as the case but its definatly something to keep in mind that the sensor on Dell cartridges is touchy and can pose problems if not refilled properly. Also ensure they are Dell branded. Dell does not recommend the use of refilled or third-party ink cartridges. These cartridges can potentially damage your printer. Another cause could be your print head. The print head is where the ink cartridges sit inside of the printer. To resolve it this issue, do the following:

(1) Open the printer
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water to thoroughly clean the print head.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try and print something now

If after the printer still does not work then it could mean the print head needs to be replaced.
Something else to double check is the software setting in the dell panel.  Ensure that it is not  turned off for use of the black cartridge.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 8th, 2010 19:00

gregorino,

Try start, control panel, printers, your printer, printer preferences, advanced, more options. Make sure the complete-a-print boxes are unchecked.

Rick

5 Posts

February 19th, 2010 05:00

Thanks Yottabyte..Sorry it took me so long to get back...Had a rough time establishing an account that would enable me to reply; kept getting locked out for 24 hours at a time...Geeeeez!

Anyway, as to your final suggestion:  Something else to double check is the software setting in the dell panel.  Ensure that it is not  turned off for use of the black cartridge.

I have no clue how to arrive at software settings in the dell panel.  I can get to the Solution Center and looked around every possible option there, but nothing that sounds remotely like "software settings"

Thanks,

Gregorino

5 Posts

February 19th, 2010 06:00

Thanks for the quick reply Rick.

Once the Dell preferences box opens, there is no "advanced" tab.

Quality, Paper Setup, Print Layout on the left and can't find anything in those tabs, and across the top I have Save Settings, I Want To, and Options.

And again, i can't find any way to reach the destination you described: complete-a-print.

Thanks!

-Gregorino

4 Posts

March 23rd, 2012 13:00

Hope to here from you on the A940 as you are very helpful and I hope you are feeling okay. Sandy

4 Posts

March 23rd, 2012 13:00

Hi, Again. I was trying to follow your post about the A940 not printing black At All, and could not find the "comlete-a-print box.

I installed th printer yesterday on a E Machine with Windows 7 Ultimate with 4 gig ram and 200 gig HD. I have all the Windows updates and it is a 64 bit system.

It prints the color test page fine but there are no blacks. I am about to uninstall and try to reinstall again. I downloaded

R74855

R166315

R153717

R153049

R153050

Oh and BTW it was scanning just fine.

thanks Sansy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 24th, 2012 12:00

Sandy,

Sorry for the delay. This is my weekend to work and my replies may be delayed.

Can you copy a document unser the glass? Black and white and color? What does the copy look like?

Rick

No Events found!