Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 28th, 2009 02:00

AIO 920, vista, and windows 7 RC

New Toshiba laptop  (L305D-S5934) with Vista (ready to install Windows 7 RC---32 bit), and I can't get the AIO to function properly. It will print, but it will not scan or fax. I've uninstalled the XP drivers, which install themselves upon connection (USB).I've downloaded and installed the three suggested Vista drivers---several times, and it still is unciooperative.. The printer worked fine (all functions) on my old XP (Inspiron 3000) desktop until I installed Windows 7 on it. I do not want to replace it. Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 28th, 2009 05:00

murie,

Here are the normal instructions I give for people to install the printer of your make and model number. Disconnect the printer. With a Vista machine, the PATCH MUST be run on Vista machines and since you're using Windows 7 RC and I heard that you can use the Vista drivers, then you need to download and install the Vista 32-bit drivers. Install the Vista 32-bit drivers and you'll be prompted to connect the printer(powered on). You should have all the functions, hopefully. Dell will not offer Windows 7 drivers until Windows 7 is offically released. You might have to install the drivers in the compatability mode, before installing, right click on the setup program, left click on properties and install in the Vista mode. If you fail on the first try, you will need to run the PATCH, which is a cleanup Utility, to completely remove the printer drivers from the machine or it will NOT install properly and you'll get the generic drivers which will allow print only. Right click on the patch and run as administrator. Run the process until it prompts you to restart your computer. Restart the computer and then you should be able to install the Vista 32-bit drivers.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and un-install all versions of Java, restart your computer and download and install the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista machines, until it prompts you to restart your computer. 

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

If you could let me know if you needed to install the drivers normally or in the compatibility mode, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks and let me know what happens,

Rick

6 Posts

June 28th, 2009 22:00

Rick,

Thanks  for your prompt reply and instructions, which i followed faithfully---three times. I purged  and patched the machine, I redid Java, I checked on .net framework, I downloaded and installed R153047, and each time the installation failed. The print status window interface "has stopped working," as has the AIOC.

This gives me a printer but not a scanner, copier, or fax.

By the way, I have not yet put Windows 7 RC on the computer; I wanted to make sure the Vista driver (only one was listed) actually worked with the Vista OS before I started changing or adding operating systems.

Any further suggestions? I really hate to replace the printer.

Please advise.

Regards from California to Pennsylvania (I remember Lancaster),

murie

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 29th, 2009 04:00

murie,

Usually when you disconnect the printer, run that patch as administrator until you're prompted to restart your computer, some people have run it twice to make sure, the installing the proper drivers, it usually installs unless...

If you installed the Operating system, sometimes people don't know to install the chipset drivers first.

You're using a USB Cable longer that 5ft(some work, some don't USB isn't meant to carry much voltage)

You have an issue with your USB Ports. For a laptop, I can recommend trying...

Disconnecting the printer, run the patch, restart then...

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

Then install the printer and you should be prompted to connect the printer.

And last, your computer might have an issue that's not allowing the printer to install.

The Dell All-In-One Center is in the drivers package.

As for faxing, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the Fax Folder. In the Fax Folder, right click on setup.exe and left click run as administrator. This will install the Fax program.

or you can try BVRP PhoneTools for Faxing

Rick

16 Posts

June 30th, 2009 10:00

Hello Murie and Rick,

Greetings from a fellow sufferer. Murie I hope your situation works out. RIck, Murie's problem can be reproduced. Unfortunately I, too, had same problem for a bit. My solution only came after a service expert came to my house and fiddled with something. I also want to say "Thanks" for your earlier reply to my other issue, but it didn't help. The driver wasn't my issue, it was the lack of support programs (due to LOST install CD). So far, Dell isn't helping and I'm unable to find a fellow Dell Forum poster that has a Dell AIO a920 Installation CD (with All-In-One Center, Photo Studio, ETC.) that would help me. If either of you knows anyone that could help, let me know. Thanks both of you for bringing this problem to the forefront of Dell's problems.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 30th, 2009 10:00

rdbcatcher,

If you think you need the disk, that's simple. If you live in the United States and are the origional owner of the printer, click below my signature and request a backup set of A920 Printer disks. Dell will ship them to you in a few days. You should get an email confirmation the next days after you request it.

Rick

16 Posts

June 30th, 2009 15:00

Rick,

Thank you for your help, And I did request for an install disc as you stated I should. Dell responded it was a printer that was out of warranty and they can't help me. I did though, try your method one more time and WAS able to finally get the driver in and installed the Dell All-In-One Center program. Only thing I can say, is I guess running the patch you mentioned for Vista to clean up the registry/programs ( eight times in a row) finally worked :emotion-10: . At this point, I'm taking all of your advice:emotion-5: . I'm still trying to get the scanning and copying to work, since the AIO popped up and said it couldn't find the fax driver. You probably think I'm a bit dense or technically unsavy (to a degree), but I'm really trying everything you said. I thought maybe I didn't look in the right folders, but I couldn't find the OCR or the Abby file in the download. At this point, you've at least gotten me farther than I was able to with Tech Support (which wanted to charge me), because at least now I can print to it on my network . I thank you from the bottom of my heart :emotion-21: and if you have any other suggestions for the fax/copy aspect, I'm all ears. By the way, I apologize :emotion-10: if I didn't mention my name outright, it's Robert. And it's been a pleasure to have someone as knowledgable as you on the boards for information and solutions:emotion-30:. Now, my next task is to see if your suggestions here work for my other printer, a Dell AIO photo 944. Wish me luck.

Robert

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 30th, 2009 16:00

Robert,

If you want to scan to anything like Microsoft Word, etc...., then you'll need to download and install an OCR Program. I have used Simple OCR before. I see now, it's still FREE but they want you to register. The Abbyy file is on the printer drivers disk.

Faxing program can be downloaded from here. This pprogram will allow you to send a fax from your computer ONLY if your computer has a dialup modem.

BVRP PhoneTools for Faxing

You should be able to just install the proper 944 printer drivers. You should then be prompted when to connect the printer.

I think both the printer drivers were installed wrong and then conflicting with the installation and they both needed to be cleaned out in order for the installation to work.

Rick

16 Posts

July 1st, 2009 16:00

Hello Rick,

thanks for the advice about "Simple OCR", I'll try it. I think the reason (which is amost same as you mentioned) was that I totally have no understanding of the function of scanning and copying over a network computer. I've never scanned from my laptop before, so I would have to say I'm not sure if it was working right. I will read the HELP files to familiarize myself. Faxing usually happened on the desktop computer (using Dell A920 AIOC) since I have a dedicated phone line connected to it.

I haven't installed the Dell AIO Photo 944 yet, so the drivers and software for it shouldn't be the issue yet. I'm following your advice by installing the 944 software on the Host computer first.  I'm waiting for the ink cartridges to get here so I can install them into the printer (it won't let me install the software until i put them in). Once that happens, I'll install software on the laptop and do the network connection. At that point, I'll let you know if it all functions correctly.

I read the link about networks, and mine is basically set up exactly as it says to. I used channel 6 and set it up for WPA-2 Personal encryption, broadcast SSID and wireless B/G enabled. The router firmware already has been upgraded. I can't afford to buy a network printer adaptor, so I will have to continue using the flow-thru method using the Host computer printer connection on the network. I usually keep that computer on all the time anyway, so it's not an issue for now.

I hope I've followed your instructions correctly and if you've any more suggestions or ideas, I'm open. I'm very impressed with your knowledge and abilities and I can only hope to someday be as informed and well-versed in troubleshooting. Thank you for the help so far. Shoot, Dell should hire you and make you Head Technician as far as I'm concerned. Have a Happy July 4th :emotion-49:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 1st, 2009 17:00

Robert,

If you don't care about scanning to a document like Microsoft Word(I use Open Office, like Microsoft Word, Excel, but FREE) then you won't need an OCR Program.

Optical character recognition

If you're just scanning pictures and images, then an OCR Program isn't needed. Having the option to edit the text after it's scanned might help but some programs still don't scan perfectly.

Since you're using a host computer, it might not matter about WPA & WPA2 security. I found better results on channel 11.

Have a nice holiday and keep me posted.

Rick

6 Posts

July 9th, 2009 14:00

this is for both Rob and Rick:

after doing the clean-it-up, download-and-install-the-driver routine a few more times, I gave up and installed Win 7 RC (I didn't intend to wipe out Vista, but....). the printer worked, sort of, and I could scan (courtesy of Win 7) and save the scan to the picture file, but that was it. as a last last last resort, I renstalled 153047 as an update, and the next thing I knew I was being asked to print a print alignment page and the AIOC was preparing itself for the first use.

the printer works. it scans and copies and prints and sends faxes. it uses the Vista drivers.

but in Windows 7.

Rob, you can download an update for Abbey (ABBEYY?)  from their website.

let me know how you make out.

murie

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 9th, 2009 15:00

murie,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: What you're saying is that you installed the Vista 64-bit drivers on a Windows 7 64-bit system and the printer installed, but only after running the patch. Did you install the Abbyy from the disk and then get the update that way? And you did use the BVRP software from the website, correct?

Just trying to learn, since I'm sure more people will be coming here soon for Windows 7 drivers. All this at a time when I am moving to a new residence, OVERWHELMED!

Thank for sharing this information with everyone. :emotion-21::emotion-21:

Rick

16 Posts

July 9th, 2009 15:00

Murie and Rick,

Hello from bankrupt Kalifornia! Guys, when it rains, it pours! Rick, I took your advice. Gonna use the printer for just the B/W stuff and scanning, and just relax on the color

pics/stuff. Murie, I GOT YOU BEAT! As soon as I got the A920 software onto the host computer, the computer no longer can communicate with it via USB and then the

printer blew a gear on the ink rail :emotion-9: , but that was after I bought new ink cartridges for it. I'm laughing so hard I'm crying....HAHAHAHaWAHWAHWAH!! Now, for the finale

and last act, after I put the software into my laptop, it will no longer recognize any printer I have on the network. If it talks to A920, nothing happens. But I'm cool with it,

gotta be. I'm gonna live to fight another day because now, my laptop just blew it's WLAN miniport card and the GPU from Nvida cooked the motherboard  :emotion-37: :emotion-35: :emotion-37: .

The only rainbow in it all, is that after some research I found out this has been a problem for HP Pavilion DV laptops since 2007 and they released a limited warranty

service enhancement to fix this. I'll get my laptop fixed for free, but gotta buy an external HDD to back up all my stuff. Once I get it back, I'll be right here doing this all

over again. You guys have been just great, and if i don't post for a while, it's because I'm trying to fix the other stuff before it goes bad, too. Thanks Murie for the heads-up

about Abby website. I'll make note of it and try that as a work around. BTW, after you did the full upload of Windows 7, everything is working now? They made drivers

compatible for all the old stuff still out here? What about software programs, conflicts? Do you think that it's better than Vista? I'll be waiting to hear all about it. See you

guys soon. PEACE, I'm out! Robert

6 Posts

July 9th, 2009 16:00

sound of screaming]

[sound of screaming]

Back again, Rick.

I just lost half a page of deathless prose to the Glitch That Stole my Writing. let me try one mo' time, working from scribbled  notes:

I didn’t do 64-bit. I installed the 32-bit version of Windows 7 RC and then used the 32-bit version of the clean-up, followed by a clean installation of both the 32-bit Vista drivers. I didn’t use BVRP at all.

The printer installed—mostly—and the unit scanned and saved the scan to the picture file.  Windows as a fax and scan utility, which may have been a help. I reinstalled 153047 as an update, right on top of the new/existing installation, and I was asked to print a print alignment page , followed by a notice that AIOC was preparing itself for the first use and was searching for the/an application (??).

At any rate, I can print and scan and copy and fax—and I don’t have to return the new ink cartridges. Apparently the machine just needs that extra prodding of a second—updating—installation.

I hope this helps.

murie

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

murie,

My error. I did a search wrong. I'm glad you provided this information.

Robert,

I feel your pain. My daughter had a Hp and my son had a Compaq and I constantly had problems. I used a Live KNOPPIX 5.1.1 CD and an external burner to copy all their files and folders to DVD's. I then restarted the computer and pressed F11. There is no such thing as a repair. It wip[es everything out and puts it back to factory.image. It blows everything no matter if you use destructive repair or not, so expect the unexpected. On a Dell computer, you can repair without losing files and folders.

You're not kidding about when it rains, it pours. I wish you luck. Had quite a few issues with my daughters computer and it ended with the screen going out on it. It's in the closet but I don't see it getting fixed. I purchased a Studio 1537 Vista Home Premium 64-bit for school and she loves it. I have the administrator account showing with MY password protected.

Good luck to everyone and thanks,

Rick

6 Posts

sound of screaming]

[sound of screaming]

Back again, Rick.

I just lost half a page of deathless prose to the Glitch That Stole my Writing. let me try one mo' time, working from scribbled  notes:

I didn’t do 64-bit. I installed the 32-bit version of Windows 7 RC and then used the 32-bit version of the clean-up, followed by a clean installation of both the 32-bit Vista drivers. I didn’t use BVRP at all.

The printer installed—mostly—and the unit scanned and saved the scan to the picture file.  Windows as a fax and scan utility, which may have been a help. I reinstalled 153047 as an update, right on top of the new/existing installation, and I was asked to print a print alignment page , followed by a notice that AIOC was preparing itself for the first use and was searching for the/an application (??).

At any rate, I can print and scan and copy and fax—and I don’t have to return the new ink cartridges. Apparently the machine just needs that extra prodding of a second—updating—installation.

I hope this helps.

murie

No Events found!