murie
1 Nickel

Re: AIO 920, vista, and windows 7 RC

this is for both Rob and Rick:

after doing the clean-it-up, download-and-install-the-driver routine a few more times, I gave up and installed Win 7 RC (I didn't intend to wipe out Vista, but....). the printer worked, sort of, and I could scan (courtesy of Win 7) and save the scan to the picture file, but that was it. as a last last last resort, I renstalled 153047 as an update, and the next thing I knew I was being asked to print a print alignment page and the AIOC was preparing itself for the first use.

the printer works. it scans and copies and prints and sends faxes. it uses the Vista drivers.

but in Windows 7.

Rob, you can download an update for Abbey (ABBEYY?)  from their website.

let me know how you make out.

murie

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

murie,

GREAT JOB! emoticon.Yes.title What you're saying is that you installed the Vista 64-bit drivers on a Windows 7 64-bit system and the printer installed, but only after running the patch. Did you install the Abbyy from the disk and then get the update that way? And you did use the BVRP software from the website, correct?

Just trying to learn, since I'm sure more people will be coming here soon for Windows 7 drivers. All this at a time when I am moving to a new residence, OVERWHELMED!

Thank for sharing this information with everyone. :emotion-21::emotion-21:

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
rdbcatcher
6 Indium

Murie and Rick,

Hello from bankrupt Kalifornia! Guys, when it rains, it pours! Rick, I took your advice. Gonna use the printer for just the B/W stuff and scanning, and just relax on the color

pics/stuff. Murie, I GOT YOU BEAT! As soon as I got the A920 software onto the host computer, the computer no longer can communicate with it via USB and then the

printer blew a gear on the ink rail emoticon.Crying.title , but that was after I bought new ink cartridges for it. I'm laughing so hard I'm crying....HAHAHAHaWAHWAHWAH!! Now, for the finale

and last act, after I put the software into my laptop, it will no longer recognize any printer I have on the network. If it talks to A920, nothing happens. But I'm cool with it,

gotta be. I'm gonna live to fight another day because now, my laptop just blew it's WLAN miniport card and the GPU from Nvida cooked the motherboard  emoticon.Storm.title emoticon.Umbrella.title emoticon.Storm.title .

The only rainbow in it all, is that after some research I found out this has been a problem for HP Pavilion DV laptops since 2007 and they released a limited warranty

service enhancement to fix this. I'll get my laptop fixed for free, but gotta buy an external HDD to back up all my stuff. Once I get it back, I'll be right here doing this all

over again. You guys have been just great, and if i don't post for a while, it's because I'm trying to fix the other stuff before it goes bad, too. Thanks Murie for the heads-up

about Abby website. I'll make note of it and try that as a work around. BTW, after you did the full upload of Windows 7, everything is working now? They made drivers

compatible for all the old stuff still out here? What about software programs, conflicts? Do you think that it's better than Vista? I'll be waiting to hear all about it. See you

guys soon. PEACE, I'm out! Robert

0 Kudos
murie
1 Nickel

sound of screaming]

[sound of screaming]

Back again, Rick.

I just lost half a page of deathless prose to the Glitch That Stole my Writing. let me try one mo' time, working from scribbled  notes:

I didn’t do 64-bit. I installed the 32-bit version of Windows 7 RC and then used the 32-bit version of the clean-up, followed by a clean installation of both the 32-bit Vista drivers. I didn’t use BVRP at all.

The printer installed—mostly—and the unit scanned and saved the scan to the picture file.  Windows as a fax and scan utility, which may have been a help. I reinstalled 153047 as an update, right on top of the new/existing installation, and I was asked to print a print alignment page , followed by a notice that AIOC was preparing itself for the first use and was searching for the/an application (??).

At any rate, I can print and scan and copy and fax—and I don’t have to return the new ink cartridges. Apparently the machine just needs that extra prodding of a second—updating—installation.

I hope this helps.

murie

0 Kudos
murie
1 Nickel

sound of screaming]

[sound of screaming]

Back again, Rick.

I just lost half a page of deathless prose to the Glitch That Stole my Writing. let me try one mo' time, working from scribbled  notes:

I didn’t do 64-bit. I installed the 32-bit version of Windows 7 RC and then used the 32-bit version of the clean-up, followed by a clean installation of both the 32-bit Vista drivers. I didn’t use BVRP at all.

The printer installed—mostly—and the unit scanned and saved the scan to the picture file.  Windows as a fax and scan utility, which may have been a help. I reinstalled 153047 as an update, right on top of the new/existing installation, and I was asked to print a print alignment page , followed by a notice that AIOC was preparing itself for the first use and was searching for the/an application (??).

At any rate, I can print and scan and copy and fax—and I don’t have to return the new ink cartridges. Apparently the machine just needs that extra prodding of a second—updating—installation.

I hope this helps.

murie

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

murie,

My error. I did a search wrong. I'm glad you provided this information.

Robert,

I feel your pain. My daughter had a Hp and my son had a Compaq and I constantly had problems. I used a Live KNOPPIX 5.1.1 CD and an external burner to copy all their files and folders to DVD's. I then restarted the computer and pressed F11. There is no such thing as a repair. It wip[es everything out and puts it back to factory.image. It blows everything no matter if you use destructive repair or not, so expect the unexpected. On a Dell computer, you can repair without losing files and folders.

You're not kidding about when it rains, it pours. I wish you luck. Had quite a few issues with my daughters computer and it ended with the screen going out on it. It's in the closet but I don't see it getting fixed. I purchased a Studio 1537 Vista Home Premium 64-bit for school and she loves it. I have the administrator account showing with MY password protected.

Good luck to everyone and thanks,

Rick

#DellRockstar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
rdbcatcher
6 Indium

Thanks for the condolences, it's been rough. Who makes your daughters computer (the Studio) ? Well. I'm hoping to get everything off, but if I'm lucky it will work out. Since I

got a little bit of workability on the laptop, I'm gonna see if I can transfer it all to a USB external HDD. Otherwise, thank god for other computers having most of the same

stuff on them. Sad, though. I'm gonna lose over 100GB of movies I got, but oh well....karma. Props to all and your families, gotta go pay the piper and do some dirty

digging in the file tree.  Jeeze, you'd think I knew what I was doing or something if you heard me talking. HAHAHAHAHA. I always knew I'd become a crazy mad scientist

someday...

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Robert,

I purchased a Dell Studio 1537 for my daughter, right after I bought myself a Dell Studio 1737, Vista Home Premium 32-bit. My son is now using my old Dell Inspirom B130 but is now interested in getting a Dell XPS computer. He want to game on his new laptop but has seen how reliable the Dell laptop I gave him works much better than his Compaq computer did.

I feel your post will get deleted and you'll get the language TOS email unless you edit your post to remove the word there that was before though.

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
rdbcatcher
6 Indium

Wow, that's really ridiculous, but I changed it. Thanks for heads up. Sad, how the Thought Police can force this. What's next, removing posts that are derogatory to the reputation of past and future products? I understand the policy of no foul language, but would it be different if I used it in a manner that described how a vacuum worked? Anyway, thank you for protecting my stature and reputation, Rick.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Robert,

I responded to a post where the link was broken. I had the person say their post was deleted before for language. I have the first post and didn't see anything wrong but the filters seem to think your laptops are held together with nails, instead of using a phillips..

Don't know how we're going to explain this to the forum manager, LOL.

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos