Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2011 03:00

AIO 924 and Windows 7 drivers (again!)

I've been reading through these topics and see that many people have had this problem, but I have not succeeded in solving the issue.

Printer connected via USB to XP desktop (works great)

xp laptops link wirelessly to printer and work great too.

New W7 64 bit home edition laptop, no joy :-(

I have downloaded the Vista 64 bit driver (as suggested in these threads),

I've set the R148157.exe file to compatability mode (self extracting zip file, can't get to setup.ini or setup.exe to change compatability there)

I get various errors which are different each time I go though the uninstall, reboot, install process;

During the install process sometimes the printer is seen straigt away other times I have had to manually browse for it (but it's always found)

one error is 'Enable bidirectional support' which I set and apply, but when I go back to the screen it is unset.

Any further updates on this issue since the 2009 posts that I've been looking at?

Thanks in advance

Ian

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 10th, 2011 03:00

Ian,

First try running Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the drivers in the Compatibility mode You'llm get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

The drivers I have provided are English(US) drivers. If you have a language installed on the computer other than English(US) then let me know and I'll try to locate drivers in your language.

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 924 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Enable Bidirectional Support/Enable Biodirectional Support

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP (if needed) This works both ways.

Rick

5 Posts

January 11th, 2011 01:00

Rick

Thanks for the prompt response to my problem, however I am still no further forward.

I must admit that I am not sure what the printer cleanup utility is!

I didn't disconnect the printer from the desktop (xp) either as I am doing these steps on my wireless connected laptop.

I may try loading the driver again and plug the printer straight into the W7 laptop to see if I get any further.

I'll let you know how I get on

Ian

5 Posts

January 11th, 2011 12:00

Well that was a good start, the printer connected directly to the W7 laptop works with the Vista driver, so the driver's ok.

I now need to get it to work remotely...

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 12th, 2011 03:00

Ian,

Sorry for the delay. Was busy yesterday and just got off work after a small snowstorm.

What do you need to do?

Printer is connected to make and model computer and operating system? Printer setup for sharing?

What other computer, make and model and operating system? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Rick

17 Posts

January 12th, 2011 10:00

Normal 0 21 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hello Rick,

I have the same problem with my DELL Inspiron 1545 laptop, running with Windows 64-bit and the DELL AIO 924 printer.

I followed some month ago the procedure described by you, but I only managed to make work the scanner, but not also the printer…

I would like to try again and to install correctly the printer, and I would like to ask for your help.

I will follow the steps described in your previous posts, but as my Windows 64 is French, please tell me if you can give me the specific drivers (files) that I will need to use in the installation procedure (in French).

Thank you in advance for your kind help.

Best regards,

Jim.

17 Posts

January 12th, 2011 12:00

Thanks Rick for your answer. I created a new thread entitled:

DELL AIO 924 printer with DELL 1545 laptop (Windows 7 and 64-bit)

Sorry, I forgot to precise that on the laptop I have Windows 7 (64 bit). This come originally with the laptop (bought 6 month ago), so it isn't upgraded.

But my Windows version is french (I'm living in France) and so I think that I need the (compatible) french drivers (I tried with the english drivers for Windows Vista 64-bit, but I didn't managed to make work the printer, only the scanner...

Thanks in advance.

Jim.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 12th, 2011 12:00

Jim,

A new thread would be better. Dell Printers Forum

DELL Inspiron 1545 laptop, running with Windows 64-bit and the DELL AIO 924 printer.

What version or Windows? XP, Vista, Windows 7 and you need French drivers.

Inspiron 1545 origional operating system or upgraded to another operating system.

I will see the new thread when you post it in the Dell Printers Forum.

Rick

5 Posts

January 13th, 2011 03:00

Hi Rick (sorry for the delay too, life [work] seems to get in the way of things we want to do), I do appreciate your time.

To answer your questions

my printer is directly wired to a dell optiplex gx520 which has a pertium 4 processor running XP sp3 with 3GB ram.

The printer is set-up with sharing set (dellphot).  This share is working fine with other 32 bit dell inspiron xp laptops and one dell inspiron running windows 7 32 bit.

So my problem is with a new acer aspire 5742 - core i3 running W7 64 bit.

As I mentioned before I got the printer working locally on the acer then deinstalled the printer and then I'm back to the same problems.

Regards

Ian

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 13th, 2011 14:00

Ian,

What virus programs and firewalls are involved?

On the Acer, run Delete Print Jobs  to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer from this mamchine. Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 64-bit drivers. Then wait for instructions. Will mwait until you post virus protection and firewalls.

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 924 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Also run Finding System Information, remove your product ID number and any personal info you don't want posted. Paste it back here.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 13th, 2011 14:00

Ian,

Sorry, links corrected on the thread. You'll need to visit thread for the links to work, sorry.

Rick

5 Posts

January 14th, 2011 04:00

Rick

I am running virginmedia's firewall and anti-virus software on my new acer and AVG on the desktop that the printer is connected to.

AVG and virginmedia are working together on my xp laptops.

What is the printer cleanup utility you refer to?

Above you mention disconnect the printer from this machine, do you mean the laptop (that it is not connected to) or the desktop which is acting as my print server?

I know this is going on a bit, but again, thanks for your assistance.

Ian

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 14th, 2011 08:00

Ian,

Just make sure the printer is not connected to the printer that you're trying to remove the bad printer installation and reinstall the printer on. Since this will be a network installation, and the printer is not connected to this computer, then everything should be ok.

Run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista computers, until it prompts you to restart your computer.

If using Windows 7 also try...Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers.

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. Choose network ,then follow the instructions.

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

If using Windows 7, use the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. 

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista(Try Vista SP2). Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Links to read if the above procedure does not work. Please click on these to go to the new page.

File and Print Sharing in Vista (Thanks to mombodog)

Sharing a printer through a wireless network

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

Rick

No Events found!