30.3K Posts

July 3rd, 2009 09:00

yogamom,

What upgrade?

Rick

3 Posts

July 3rd, 2009 11:00

Windows 8...........Vista Basic

error message was about the USB ports.  I checked those and all is enabled.  I  turned off, turned on.  Unplugged, etc. still nothing.  working fine before upgrade. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 4th, 2009 00:00

yogamom,

Do you mean Windows 7?

Is the system 32-bit or 64-bit?  Start, control panel, system. On tyhat page it will tell you if it's 32-bit or 64-bit.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 4th, 2009 00:00

yogamom,

Also make and model of your computer would be helpful.

Rick

3 Posts

August 16th, 2009 13:00

Been out of twon for a while, but still need help.  i've done everything I was prompted to to get the printer started again.  I have a DELL C521.  any other suggestions???

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 16th, 2009 15:00

yogamom,

Try following these instructions and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista machines) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

64-bit drivers

All other drivers

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2009 00:00

In hopes of aiding anyone else encountering this issue, I went through the following to get my Dell AIO 926 working on Windows 7 x64. For me, it required disabling Windows UAC and installing the printer driver from Windows Update. Though I'm not interested in re-enabling it, if you want to use UAC, you could try re-enabling it after installing the driver.

1. Downloaded and installed the printer and scanner drivers from Windows Update. Print jobs would not be queued, the printer showed as 'Offline' in Print Management. Attempting to print a test page resulted in an error saying there was no USB connection to the printer. Tried setting all driver EXEs in the Program Files and Windows\system32 and syswow64 folders to run as administrator, but that didn't help.
  2. Downloaded the drivers for Windows Vista x64 from Dell. The driver installation would proceed until it failed at the step requiring the user to connect the printer via USB. Despite being connected, the printer was never detected.
  3. Disabled Windows User Account Control. Rebooted.
  4. Downloaded the Dell Clean Up Utility (the Vista "patch"). Disconnected the printer, ran the utility, then rebooted again.
  5. Connected the printer, Windows detected the device and installed drivers for the card reader, but failed to install the printer or scanner.
  6. Ran Windows Update manually, where the drivers were detected and installed. This time, with UAC disabled, the drivers and Dell All-In-One Center installed normally.
  7. Printing and scanning works normally.

7 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 13:00

Thanks for the great post. I have been beating this one to death myself, in exactly the same way. It is funny that the only real problem I had with win 7 pro on my dell 530 quad core was with a dell peripheral, e.g. my 926 AIO printer. My question is this; on your step # 6, what do you mean by 'ran windows update manually'? When I start update myself, it goes and looks for things but does not find dell 926. Is there a way to 'point' update to a specific item or category of item. And #6 says that the Dell All in One Center installed normally. My understanding was that the 'All in One Center' utility program would have to come directly from Dell, and come via win update?

Thanks again.

3 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 16:00

To answer your question about the AIOC - no you don't have to download the driver directly from Dell to get the AIOC. It is part of the driver package installed from Windows Update.

To run Windows Update manually:

• Make sure the Dell printer is connected to the PC and turned ON.
  • Open Windows Update (Start Menu > All Programs > Windows Update).
  • Click Check for updates in the left-hand pane.

That should detect the printer and offer the drivers. After checking for updates, I don't recall if it was listed as an "important" or "optional" update, so you might have to click on the link to view the updates (i.e., click on "2 important updates are available" or "36 optional updates are available" to view the updates, then check the boxes next to the drivers to select them).

Also, since installing the drivers, I haven't been able to get scanning working with the All-In-One Center. I use the Windows scanning program instead:

1. Start Menu > Devices and Printers (if available). Otherwise, Start Menu > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound | View devices and printers.
  2. Click on the Dell printer, then click "Start scan" on the toolbar.

7 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 17:00

Thank you very much. My problem is that as soon as I connect the printer windows starts trying to install the drivers, etc. and fails as usual.  I think I can turn win update 'off', which in effect forces the 'manual' method? But wouldnt the same drivers/software be downloaded, whether the windows update connection is made automaticaaly Or manually?  I take it you didnt have much luck with the download from the Dell drivers web site? I would prefer those, but since I can never get past the 'connect' error during install, I have more or less given up on Dell. That is why your approach, albeit using Msoft update, is much appreciated. I am going to attempt to run the dell 'cleanup' utlity yet again, reboot, turn off 'automatic' running of win update and see if I get the updates you show offered.   Any idea why this is so difficult, given that the printer is a Dell and Dell specifically offers win 7 64 bit drivers for it?

Thanks again.

7 Posts

Update (again) ...

Just for giggles, I attempted to 'Add Printer' via the 'Devices and Printers'. After I use the 'Windows Update' button to 'see more models, more Dell printers are listed. And though there are even some Dell AIO printers listed, there is no 926. If 926 printer drivers can be found by you via 'manually' running win update, why would they not be found via win Update while adding a printer?

7 Posts

Update...

Even with win Update 'turned off' as soon as I connect the printer, win immediately starts the 'detected' and installation. And during this , unlike your experience, it Does try to install the scan and Print, but fails at both. Then of course, running update again 'manually' finds nothing and has no results as it found them the first time, they just didnt work.  Should I try to 'catch' the automatic windows detect when I connect the printer and 'abort' it as a possible workaround? Again, my problem seems to be different as my connect does download Printer drivers (they just dont work) and yours does not, and therefore allows you to 'manually' find them by running update again. I am confused as to why update does not 'find' the printer drivers when you connect, but misses it somehow, and then does find them when you run update manually. I must be missing something here.

I certainly appreciate your time.

3 Posts

November 8th, 2009 21:00

Hi Rick,

I really need some help on this one!  I have a Dell AIO 926 connected via USB with windows 7 - 32 bit.  I've had this device working with Vista for the past 2 1/2 years...just upgraded to win 7 2 weeks ago and now the printer won't work.  I've tried your suggested solution about 10 times in 5 different ways, but nothing will get this device to work properly.  the main problem is that when I attempt to install the vista 32 bit drivers the installation utility comes to the "finish" screen with a "print test page" button, but when I click to print a test page an error message is displayed saying the driver has not been installed!?!  I do not know what to do now other than just give up and either uninstall 7 and go back to Vista, or buy another printer (which is ridiculous since 7 is supposed to be "an improvement" over vista for these kinds of issues), or just not have a printer!!!  Please Help!!!

James

3 Posts

November 8th, 2009 21:00

I may have just fixed it!  I manually unistalled the driver from the printer properties page, then ran the vista 32 bit driver utility (R146832.exe), but instead of choosing to "update the current driver" I chose "install another copy of the driver"...and magically it works now!  I now have 2 dell AIO 926 printers listed in my "choose a printer" dialog, but at least this newest one is printing!  Finally!  (i've been working on this for 4 days now!)

Thanks for all your suggestions Rick!

7 Posts

November 9th, 2009 11:00

Hello jimnastix. I am curious as to your fix. Your problem is not exactly the same as mine, but at this point I am desparate and getting no responses from any Dell moderator or 'monitor' to this post. The '32 bit driver utility' you mention is interesting. Do you know if it has a windows 7 64 bit equivalent? Where did you get this utility? Download it, or ?? 

Thanks.

No Events found!