Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 3rd, 2010 09:00

AIO 942 - can't get scanner to work on MS Vista without missing AIO 942 Center icon & original disk

I have reviewed many threads and forums on this and it seems no one is coming up with a solution - so this is a challenge to anyone who thinks he knows the answer.  I have entered my service tag for the AIO942 printer, ran the patch and installed the Dell drivers.  However only the printer part works.  The scanner usually found in the AIO 942 Center is not available and the icon is not available to click on.  The Dell forum suggests installing the original disk and then looking for the OCR under the Abbeyy Folder - unfortunately I cannot find the original disk.  This worked perfectly with XP but since upgrading to Vista on a new laptop, I cannot get the AIO Center.  Like many of the people who have this problem, I have spent a huge number of hours trying to come up with different solutions and combing different forums.  Perhaps someone will come up with the solution for those of us who can't find the original disk.  Preferably this would be a simple solution not involving complete reinstallation of the operating system as was suggested by one technical expert.  And yes, I have the latest Java (another suggestion)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2010 11:00

scannerd,

What is the make and model of your computer and operating system? Is it Vista 32-bit or 64-bit?

Since you do not have the Dell All-In-One Center, Windows must have installed the generic drivers.

You'll need to disconnect the printer. Run the patch to completely remove the printer from your computer, then restart your computer when prompted.

Install the proper Vista Drivers.The drivers sometimes unzip and just sit there. Right click on the setup.exe file, left click run as administrator, then follow the instructions.

If you cannot find the Abbyy folder on the disk, then to scan to something like Word or Open Office, try downloading  Simple OCR it should work nicely with your computer and printer.

Make sure to also read...

Update list of applications to send scans to

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2010 12:00

scannerd,

Try running the patch and wait until prompted to restart your computer. Before restarting. try Manual Printer Driver Removal to make sure the printer drivers are fully removed, thenrestart your computer.

What type of firewall and virus programs are you using?

Rick

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2010 12:00

Thanks for your response

The make and model of my laptop is Dell XPS M1330 32 bit operating model

I ran the Clean up patch, then rebooted and ran the setup of R151557 , the AIO driver recommended by Dell when using my printer tag - this loaded up to the point where it shuts down when it reaches the installing of the All in One Centre - this has happened so many times in recent months when I tried it over and over again.  I have also been careful to attach the cable of the AIO Dell 942 printer only when prompted.  While the "Simple OCR" may provide a solution, I liked the interface of the AIO Centre as you could choose whether to scan multiple copies, different resolutions, different scanning quality (black & white text, magazine, photo quality etc) and differeent formats using OCR to save as word, pdf etc.  If you have any further recommendations I would appreciate it.  I am currently downloading Windows updates - which is taking forever - to see if it will make any difference

Clearly from the forums, there is a huge number of people who have wasted so much time trying to fix this - surely Dell should consider this when doing further updates of Operating systems - each run of the patch and downloading takes forever & it is a real frustration for purchasers of Dell products and certainly tests our loyalty!

4 Posts

January 10th, 2010 09:00

Rick

I had to break from this as it was taking so much time to remove software, restart PC and reload software each time.  The above suggestion did not work unfortunately.  Re firewall and antivirus - I use AVG Antivirus, and Microsoftessentials.  I can now see the All in Once Centre Icon in the Dell Printers folder where I was not able to see this before.  However, when I click on the AIO Centre icon, it starts looking for applications and then closes down.  It does this both when not connected to the AIO 942 and when not connected.

This evening I did a further try of removing with Patch etc, ensuring also everything manually removed, then rebooted and reloaded software - once I clicked finished, a pop up screen comes up where AIO centre automatically looks for applications (this is when the PC is connected to the AIO942 as it has to be to load the software).  It then closes it down as it can't find applications and gives the option to search Windows for solutions - the only solution offered is to update Windows which I had done previously.

I am not sure what I can do from here & perhaps you have a further suggestion given that I can still see the AIO Centre Icon that I could not see before removing with the Patch and reuploading software.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 10th, 2010 15:00

scannerd,

Do you have .net framework and Download Latest Java?

Yes, you need to remove the printer using the patch. Wait until you see the prompt to restart your computer. The restart your computer.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

After the new hardware wizard is done, then disable AVG and MS Essentials and your firewall. Aren't these both virus programs? It's possible that they are conflicting with each other. My opinion, is AVG does allow some items past it and you can have some type of virus/trojans that can get past it. MS Essentials, I never tried. I use FREE Avast Home Edition and it has a GREAT real-time scanner.

Now try installing the printer using Internet explorer and going to Dell's website, unless you want to try using the printer disk.

Rick

4 Posts

January 11th, 2010 05:00

Rick

thanks for coming back to me on this.  I am going to try what you suggest.

I have Vista so I am presuming that .net framework is installed but will double check this - how do I go about checking if it is on the system and if its not on the system where do I find it on the internet?  Re Java - I do have the latest Java version installed.

Re the USB hubs, there are a lot of them that mention Intel ICH8 etc, I am hoping that by uninstalling them that it won't affect any programmes - I am taking your word on this that Windows will find everything again.  Does the hardware wizard pop straight up when I restart the computer?

Another question:  does it matter if I use Internet Explorer or Firefox - I have the original Dell Driver device on my hard drive i.e. R151557 that I downloaded from the Dell page where I downloaded the patch file - should I just run this exe file.  By the way, there was also a fax file driver as the third suggested file from Dell re the AIO942, does this have any impact on the AIO Centre working or is this file just to enable the fax element of AIO942 printer.?

Look forward to your response

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 11th, 2010 07:00

scannerd,

Before you uninstall everything in the usb devices, make sure you have nothing connected. You have a laptop so this can be done with no problems. Sometimes there is a problem with one of the usb devices and you cannot find it. uninstalling then and restarting gives all the devices a fresh new start and they work again.

Downloading the drivers from Dell's website, it seems that Internet Explorer seems to work a little better.

I was also told that to download THIS APPLICATION, that is is the fax program and drivers, but I never had this confirmed.

The basics are to disconnect your printer, run the patch to completely remove the printer, then restart your computer when prompted. Since there is a problem, the removal of the usb devices is next (Laptopp only) and restart again. When the new hardware wizard is finished, then installing the drivers first and wait until you see the message, the printer is not connect, then connect the printer with a 6ft or smaller USB Cable. Sometimes people have to try a different usb port if one of the ports has failed.

Rick

I use Mozilla Firefox with the IE Tab :: Firefox Add-ons to do all my downloads from Dell's website.

No Events found!