Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2008 07:00

AIO 964 - Firmware Loading Issue

Hi:

I am having issues connecting this printer to the 64 bit operating system.
I have found the 64 bit driver (R146813) but my initial issue is with the
Firmware update - which file should I be loading?  Neither file loads correctly-
all time out and fail.  The driver loads fine, but fails when installed.

Thanks for listening and would appreciate any and all help.

Cheers,
Mark

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 14th, 2008 07:00

M L Hogan,

How are you connecting your printer to your computer?

The R146813 is the correct driver for the 64-bit operating system. Here is the latest firmware for the 964 printer. To install the firmware, you have to use the USB Cable.

Download

1. Click Download Now, to download the file.
2. When the File Download window appears, click Save (Windows XP users will click Save) this program to disk and click OK. The Save In: window appears.
3. From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to select Desktop and click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
4. If the Download Complete window appears, click Close. The file icon appears on your desktop.

Install

1. Double-click the new icon on the desktop. For example labeled R133178.EXE.
2. The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R12345.EXE. (Example path). Write down this path so the executable (Example - Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3. The Self-Extractor window appears.
4. Click OK.
5. After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor window is still open, close it.
6. Click the Start button and then click Run.
7. Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R133178 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8. Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

Rick

4 Posts

December 14th, 2008 09:00

Rick:

Thank you for your response.  Here are some answers:

Connection is through USB cable.

I have redone all connections, rebooted printer and computer and the firmware has loaded.
I have downloaded and installed 64 printer drivers.

Now, the AIO center loads, but will not scan from either the AIO center or the printer controls.
Also, when the printer starts up the screen reads "paper jam" but there is no visable paper jam.
(I have removed and reinserted the paper twice on reboots and the "paper jam" error continues
to open.  Even when there is no paper in the printer).

Any idea if this paper jam problem is software driven?  Also, did I miss something on the reloading
to cause the printer not to be able to scan?  From either control direction?

Just an FYI - the card reader system works fine - I tested it with two different memory cards.

Thanks for your interest in the situation.

Mark

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 14th, 2008 10:00

Mark,

I will not try to miss anything but if I do, let me know. I keep my 964 printer covered and leave the bottom paper try uncovered so when I print the paper can come out. I really don't think the firmware installed, since the drivers need to be installed first.

Disconnect your printer. Print roller and Jam problems

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. (This patch is like a cleaner and works on XP and Vista systems)

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Please remember to install the latest firmware for the 964 printer.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Let me know what happens and/or exact error messages.

Rick

4 Posts

December 15th, 2008 05:00

Rick:

I followed the instructions with these results:

1.  "Paper Jam" appears on the 964 screen when powered up,
2.  The unit is still unable to scan from the AIO center.
(The scan command times out and a dialog box appears saying the computer is unable to
communicate with the 964 when the preview button is pressed within the AIO center).

In addtion to the instructions you listed above, I vaccumed out the unit before and after
the 30 second shake routine.  I also tried a different USB cable between the unit and
the computer - to no avail.

Any other thoughts or ideas?
Thanks,

Mark

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 15th, 2008 09:00

Mark,

When you had the printer disconnected, did you remove the power brick from the back of the printer? It needs to be removed for 30 seconds for any error messages to reset. I usually tell everyone 60 seconds to be safe.

Can you try copying something by laying something under the glass. What happens? We need to have the printer printing a copy on it's own before proceeding to installing it.

Also, I forgot to mention something when installing the drivers. Do NOT join the ink improvement program as it has an issue with Vista, not exactly sure what it is. Once the printer is installed correctly, the firmware update should install. I would disconnect the printer, un-install the printer(try that) then restart your computer. Make sure the printer is not in the printers and faxes and in the control panel, add/remove programs.

To manually remove the printer driver(and it may still be there try this.

Printers and Faxes

File

Server Properties

Drivers

Remove the driver you want to remove.

Now try re-installing the drivers one more time and do NOT join the ink improvement program.

What happens.

Rick

4 Posts

December 15th, 2008 10:00

Rick:

I'm away from the system in question at the moment.  I will implement these procedures this evening and revert.

Some quick comments:

1.  I have had the power brick out for 60+ seconds during previous re-builds, will make sure that this is done
next time around,

2.  Haven't yet tried to copy anything, will do this first.  I will again attempt the 30 second unit shake routine as
with the "paper jam" problem the machine is not feeding paper yet.  Any other ideas what could be causing this
problem?

3.  I have not been joining the ink improvement program - will continue same.

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks,
Mark

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 15th, 2008 10:00

Mark,

Will be waiting for your results to figure out what to do next.

Rick

No Events found!