Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2011 06:00

AIO 968 will scan but won't print

I just had to do a rebuild on my StudioXPS which is running Windows 7.  The wireless AIO 968 worked fine on our household network before the system crash but after the rebuild and reinstallation of Win7, will now only scan.  I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled it probably 15 times now. I've got the firewalls set up to allow it. I've tried installing it as just a USB device, as well as wireless only and USB only, as well as BOTH. No configuration works. It is recognized as the default printer; all troubleshooting wizards cannot find anything wrong and suggest contacting my network administrator. Since that's me, that's worthless advice. I've downloaded the most up-to-date drivers from the Dell downloads center; I've tried updating all drivers using the Dell Utilities and Drivers disk that came with my system.  Nothing seems to work. I keep getting the same maddening message that the printer is not communicating.  If the AIO 968 communicates enough to  scan documents, why won't it print?  I've checked the drivers in the network card; it says "this device is working properly."  Has anyone else had this problem?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 3rd, 2011 08:00

screaminskull,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

You said you rebuilt your computer, meaning ... reinstall? If so, please run Finding System Information remove your product ID and post the information back here.

Rick

March 4th, 2011 15:00

Yes, fully reinstalled OS. All efforts at repair and/or restore were futile. Runs great now, all except for AIO 968 not communicating.

Host Name:               ***************
OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
OS Version:                6.1.7600 N/A Build 7600
OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration:          Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type:             Multiprocessor Free
Registered Owner:          Nick
Registered Organization:  
Product ID:               
Original Install Date:     2/18/2011, 8:02:35 PM
System Boot Time:          3/4/2011, 4:23:43 PM
System Manufacturer:       Dell Inc.
System Model:              Studio XPS 7100
System Type:               x64-based PC
Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.
                           [01]: AMD64 Family 16 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2600 Mhz
BIOS Version:              Dell Inc. A06, 9/10/2010
Windows Directory:         C:\Windows
System Directory:          C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device:               \Device\HarddiskVolume2
System Locale:             en-us;English (United States)
Input Locale:              en-us;English (United States)
Time Zone:                 (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Total Physical Memory:     6,143 MB
Available Physical Memory: 4,944 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size:  12,285 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 10,519 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use:    1,766 MB
Page File Location(s):     C:\pagefile.sys
Domain:                    WORKGROUP
Logon Server:              \\NICK-PC_FEB2011
Hotfix(s):                 68 Hotfix(s) Installed.
                           [01]: KB971033
                           [02]: KB2032276
                           [03]: KB2079403

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 4th, 2011 18:00

screaminskull,

You ran Delete Print Jobs , correct?

If you want wireless, then make sure your wireless router is using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11. I would make a new SSID to make connecting easier.

With the printer disconnected...

Uninstall the printer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.  Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 64-bit drivers. Install the Vista 64-bit drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode, choose network and follow the instructions.

Virus programs and firewalls will block the printer. What virus protection are you using? 

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 4th, 2011 18:00

screaminskull,

I guess I should give you the link to the Vista 64-bit drivers...

Dell 968 & 968w All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Rick

March 19th, 2011 18:00

Did everything you said. Yes, ran delete print jobs, uninstalled printer, downloaded Vista 64-bit drivers (even tho' I'm running Win7), ran in compatibility mode - tried Vista SP 2, SP 1 and plain Vista. NO COMMUNICATION. Tried uninstalling everything and started again trying Win7 drivers, same problem. Tried running Win7 in compatibility mode using Vista {yes, tried all 3 versions again} - still no communication. Tried using the disk that came with the printer (even tho' it didn't say anything about having Win7 drivers in it). No luck. Tried disconnecting from the network, going off-line and uninstalled Norton Anti-virus program. Then attempted to once again install Vista drivers & using compatibility mode.  STILL NO COMMUNICATION. Tried running it as just USB connection, then wireless, then USB and wireless both.

I have uninstalled & reinstalled the Dell 968 AIOw printer probably 40 times, trying every conceivable configuration possible. Yes I've cold booted. It shouldn't be this difficult to install a printer. I have a cheap $19.99 Lexmark that all I have to do is plug it into the USB, it auto-configures, then works just fine. But I wanted the scan & fax capability and got the 968 AIO. If I'd known it would be this much trouble, I never would have bought it. The 968 is supposed to be compatible with Windows 7.  Why won't it work?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 20th, 2011 01:00

screaminskull,

Wondering if your virus program or firewall could be the problem.

You said...

I have a cheap $19.99 Lexmark that all I have to do is plug it into the USB, it auto-configures, then works just fine.

Your Dell 968 Printer was made for Dell by Lexmark. Wondering if there might be a driver conflict.

Rick

March 20th, 2011 06:00

Like I said, I tried completely uninstalling Norton antivirus (while off-line). I re-booted, reinstalled the printer & software, still no communication. The Lexmark printer is on a totally different computer.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 20th, 2011 15:00

screaminskull,

You said...

Yes, fully reinstalled OS.

And I missed it, sorry.

When you installed Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit) did you install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first? If not the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order If you cannot find Windows 7 drivers, then try using the Vista (or XP) 32-bit drivers, for Windows 7 32-bit of the Vista (or XP) 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit and install the drivers in the Compatibility mode

Rick

March 20th, 2011 19:00

Thanks for trying to help; appreciate the time & trouble you put into this.  Got a bigger problem now. Hard drive seems to have suddenly taken a dive. I was on-line and got up & left the room for about 15 minutes. When I got back, the BSOD was up with an error message that SATA 1 couldn't be found, nor 2, nor 3, etc. It would only boot from the CD/DVD drive; the "hard drive" had renamed itself "x". I put the Windows 7 OS disk in to attempt a repair or restore and there was no drive to find the restore point on. I decided to try another install of Win7 OS but there was no drive to install it on. You say to install the drivers first but when I put the Dell Drivers & Utilities disk in after being prompted for it, I kept getting a messge that the disk contained no information about drivers. (What?!?) If the drivers aren't on the drivers & utilities disk, I sure don't know where they are. Fortunately, the Dell XPS is still under warranty, so I'll probaly have to ship it back and let them fix it. Unless you have any last-ditch effort advice, that is.

Thanks for the help up until now. Hey, who knows, maybe after all this is said & done, the 968 AIO will work right!

March 20th, 2011 21:00

screaminskull,

Restart the computer and press F12 at startup. Run the full diagnostics and report back the error messages.

Rick

March 21st, 2011 15:00

System Tests   TIMERS: ATI SB, disabled channel 0 using mode 0 test     Test Results: PASS

Error code 0141     Message: Error Code 2000-0141     Message: Hard Drive - no drive detected

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 21st, 2011 16:00

screaminskull,

Yes, your hard drive failed. Do you have an external burner or flash drive?

Is the computer under warranty?

Are your files and folders backed up? If not, I have a program that might help you recover the files before you remove and replace the hard drive.

Rick

March 26th, 2011 11:00

Yes, your hard drive failed. Do you have an external burner or flash drive?  

Yes I do.

Is the computer under warranty?

Yes, it is still under warranty. Dell is shipping a new hard drive by FedEx.

Are your files and folders backed up? If not, I have a program that might help you recover the files before you remove and replace the hard drive.

Files & folders are backed up but Dell requested I remove all personal data from HD before sending it back. How is that possible when my PC doesn't even recognize the hard drive?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 26th, 2011 16:00

screaminskull,

You can download a Live KNOPPIX 5.1.1 CD

Put it in the computer and it will boot the computer using the disk. You can then get any files needed, k3b is the burn program, or send them to a falsh drive. You can also delete the files from the folders.

Rick

4 Posts

April 3rd, 2018 00:00

Hi All

I have a problem with a Dell 640 computer with Windows 10 that will not print to Dell 968 printer. When I send a document to the printer, I get a message "The printer is not responding  is a problem with the connection between the computer and the printer. Please check the connection between your computer and the printer"

The scanner works perfectly with the PC.

The printer was working fine up to about 6 weeks ago before I had to extend the C drive partition in order to install the latest Windows 10 updates.  The printer did not work after I had installed the latest Windows 10 updates.

I made various attempts to fix it by clearing print queues, uninstalling / installing drivers with Vista compatable mode, but have had no success. 

I have another Dell 640 with the latest Windows 10 updates (no partition on harddrive) and it continues to work  with the Dell 968.

I would appreciate if anyone has any suggestions.

Thank you

Mike 

No Events found!