Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2010 12:00

AIO A940 Prints blank pages

At some point in the past the printer stopped printing and just spit out blank pages.  I think the text got fainter and fainter like you would expect when the toner runs out.  I let it go for a long time and only used the printer for scanning. 

Recently I got new cartridges and put them in.  It still does not print.  The job seems to get to the printer just fine.  You hear it fire up and the carriage sounds like it's moving back and forth and trying to print the job your sending....but the pages just come out perfectly blank, as if there's not a drop of toner getting through. I've tried printing test pages, plain word docs and emails, and also pictures. 

I have checked and rechecked the cartridges making sure the tape has been removed.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer drivers twice, using the patch to make sure it gets uninstalled completely.  Still no luck. 

It really seems like everything is working but there is just no toner getting to the page.  :emotion-39:

Any help is very much appreciated, thanks! :emotion-2:

--Jason

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2010 13:00

Jason,

Are you using Dell Series 2 ink cartridges or a generic or refilled brand?

Can you copy a document when you put it under the glass? B&W and color?

Unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer. Wait 60 seconds, then plug everything back in. This will reset any error messages the printer has in memory.

Turn the power on. Open the printer and take out the Dell Series 2 black ink cartridge and reseat it. Do the same for the Dell Series 2 color ink cartridge.

Close the printer and it will try to print an alignment page. Any error messages?

Dell Series 2 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges  

Dell Series 2 ink cartridges can only be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's website.

Black cartridge = black(left side)          Color cartridge = Color side(right side)

Photo Cartridge = Black(left side)        Color cartridge = color side.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 2 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would that these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2010 14:00

Jason,

I have seen Dell Series 2 ink cartridges come throuth with bad sensors. I would take them back to Costco for a refund, the try purchasing new ones from Satples or Walmart.

We isolated the printer from the computer by tryoing to copy a document under the glass. It should work like a copying machine, unless the bulb is bad.

Rick

14 Posts

Hi Rick,

Are you using Dell Series 2 ink cartridges or a generic or refilled brand?

I have the Dell series 2 cartidges (P/N 7Y743).  I got them refilled at Costco recently but this problem started before that.  I can see on screen that the system detects they are now full.  I get prompted to print a test page...it chugs through making all the normal printing sounds but the pages are completely blank.  No error messages at all.

Can you copy a document when you put it under the glass? B&W and color?

I assume you mean on top of the glass...and no, same as above, all the normal sounds, no errors, but only blank pages come out.  Same for black or blue.

Unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer. Wait 60 seconds, then plug everything back in. This will reset any error messages the printer has in memory.Turn the power on. Open the printer and take out the Dell Series 2 black ink cartridge and reseat it. Do the same for the Dell Series 2 color ink cartridge.Close the printer and it will try to print an alignment page. Any error messages?

I have done this process several times, along with uninstalling and reinstalling the latest driver.  Same results as above.

Sounds like you think the cartidges may be at fault.  But I am not getting erroneous "low ink" messages.  I really don't want to buy more cartidges from Dell only to have them not work either.  Any other ideas?

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

14 Posts

But Rick, if it IS a bad sensor, would that explain the behavior I am getting?  Or would that result in a "low ink" message even when they are full?

Isn't that fact that the cartidges show up as being full indicate that the sensors are working correctly?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2010 15:00

Jason,

Dried ink inside cartridge, sensor stuck in full position, just thinking about this.

You can try getting replacement cartridges at Costco and see if they work. I didn't know Costco sold Dell Series brand ink cartridges. You can try Cleaning Dell ink cartridges, but since they're new cartridges, I recommend that they're replaced.

Is there a date somewhere on the cartridge or packaging, maybe on the box? I know it's not on the foil packaging, I just looked at my Dell Series 24 ink cartridges.

Rick 

14 Posts

October 3rd, 2010 15:00

Costco refilled the cartitridges, they don't sell new ones.  They refilled them on 9/21 and that's the only date I can see.

I'll try the cleaning trick...see if I can draw some toner out. thx

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2010 16:00

Jason,

Refilled cartridges sometimes work, sometimes they don't The sensor will not get reset, so you'll get some type of error message, like a low ink error message. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges

Rick

14 Posts

October 3rd, 2010 18:00

OK, so I have ruled out the cartridges as being the culprit.  I was mistaken when I said I refilled both the black and color cartridges.  I only refilled the black, the color cartridge is still the original from Dell, and it gives the same results.

It's not a connection problem because copy doesn't work.

Not a driver problem.

Something is wrong in the printer itself where the toner ink is not flowing through to whatever prints it on the page. 

Any ideas?  Or is it landfill bound? :emotion-6:

14 Posts

October 3rd, 2010 18:00

OK, so I have ruled out the cartridges as being the culprit.  I was mistaken when I said I refilled both the black and color cartridges.  I only refilled the black, the color cartridge is still the original from Dell, and it gives the same results.

It's not a connection problem because copy doesn't work.

Not a driver problem.

Something is wrong in the printer itself where the toner ink is not flowing through to whatever prints it on the page. 

Any ideas?  Or is it landfill bound? :emotion-6:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 4th, 2010 03:00

Jason,

I still think it's a cartridge issue but it's you printer.

If you think it's landfil bound, then maybe you'd like to try one of these methods.

25 Ways To Destroy Your Old Printer

Take care,

Rick

14 Posts

October 4th, 2010 14:00

Rick,

Again thanks for your input...but I don't understand.  You say it could be because of a stuck sensor in the cartridge, but the symtoms of that problem don't include printing blank pages does it?  Just erroneous ink level messages.

"Refilled cartridges sometimes work, sometimes they don't The sensor will not get reset, so you'll get some type of error message, like a low ink error message."

I am not getting any error messages.  And there is absolutely no ink getting through. 

Earlier you said "it could be the sensors are stuck on full but the ink is dried out" or something like that.  I have one cartridge that is direct from Dell and one that was just refilled by Costco...both exibiting the same behavior.  Seems unlikely that the toner from Dell would happen to "dry out" in the color cartridge and Costco would happen to fill the black cartridge with defective toner. 

I don't want to throw this printer away, but I don't want to waste more moner on new cartidges from Dell, only to find that the problem is not the cartridges. 

This sucks...may have to stick with HP from now on.  :emotion-6:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 4th, 2010 18:00

Jason,

You said...

And there is absolutely no ink getting through.

Take them back to Costco and tell them, there is no ink getting through.You purchased a product and if the ink is not getting through, then since this worked before, it must be the refilled cartridge, correct?

I'm not going to debate the issue. I'm trying to tell you from a logical standpoint. Dell has discouraged refilling the cartridges for some time. Please read THIS ARTICLE. Read the special note in the blue box.

HP Printers recently have also put sensors in their printers as well as many of the other printer manufacturers. I wish you luck in your decision.

Rick

14 Posts

October 5th, 2010 06:00

OK, I'll take the black cartridge back to Costco and tell them it's not working.

The color cartridge is direct from Dell and is exibiting the exact same behavior.  Any idea how I go about getting Dell to replace the defective cartridge they sold me?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 5th, 2010 19:00

Jason,

Call the phone nuber on the shipping slip. If you cannot find the slip, then try Contact Us at Dell

Rick

1 Message

November 4th, 2010 05:00

Jason,

Were you able to figure out the problem.  Mine is doing exactly the same.  I printed some pages after replacing the black cartridge and then suddenly it stopped working and would give me an error msg 50.  I reinstalled everything after not getting it to work time and time again, have checked the flow of ink, cleaned the inside of the printer, unplugged, replugged, unplugged, replugged (lol) and while I no longer get the msg,, nothing shows up on the page.  Just from listening and watching it feed the paper through, you would think it would show up but no, just blank paper comes out the other end.  I have tried printing from the scanner with the same result.

Take care,

Amy

No Events found!