Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2008 07:00

AIO Printer 948 Scanning Config

I recently bought the AIO Printer 948. I installed the all the programs as per standard/full install of all applications and driver.

All seemed to have installed successfully except I can't change any scanning setting/config from the Dell All In One Cetre - Scanning and Copying tab. The option is greyed out and therefore won't allow me to enter the config side. When I have a look at the scanner available through the Windows Control Panel, I can search for it and it finds it but when I click ok, it doesn't put it on. Can anyone help out

Connection: WIFI (Infrastructure)
Firmware: Most latest release as of 15 Dec 08

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 15th, 2008 09:00

It sound like either your printer drivers have not installed properly or Microsoft may have updated the drivers causing the problem.

Try re-installing the printer this way and the Dell All-In-One Center should be OK.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Now, I usually recommend these wireless router settings to get everything communicating correctly.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security. Most wireless devices work best with this type of security.

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels.

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds. Power everything back on, wait 30 seconds, now try to connect.

I would then tell you to install the proper drivers, choose network, then choose using a wireless porint server and follow the instructions.

This article below is for the 948 printer, since it has wireless capabilities. Just covering all bases.

How Do I Connect a Dell™ Wireless Printer to a Wireless Network

Choose your printer. Beneath your printer, select your operating system. You'll be redirected to another page. Then click on show all steps. It will walk you through the installation process.

Update list of applications to send scans to

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 15th, 2008 16:00

jeffvilla1,

Did you follow these instructions for the setup?

Choose your printer. Beneath your printer, select your operating system. You'll be redirected to another page. Then click on show all steps. It will walk you through the installation process.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

jeffvilla1,

Did you follow these instructions for the setup?

Rick

3 Posts

Rick,

Thanks for the info but after having a good go at it, it still didn't work. However when I reinstalled the driver, this time allowing USB connection as well gave me the option of changing the config of the scanner. The only draw back is having the scanner plugged into my laptop/PC via USB, which according to the manual does not have to be the case unless I have been reading it wrong. Having USB connected also disables the wireless feature which defeat the purpose of of WIFI.

Also when you look at the available printer on the Control Panel, there is two copy of the printer. From what I could gather one is for USB connection and the other is WIFI. Because of this what ever changes I make for USB connection doesn't replicate into the WIFI connection, in particular sccanning config.

Any futher info is appreciated.

3 Posts

December 15th, 2008 17:00

Rick,

When I follow the instructions listed the two things occur:

1. The laptop says the wireless config is completed, scan config can be utilised but the when scan is actually attempted you get this error message "scan was not successful". Had a look at the printer itself and it was not configured at all although it states that it was.

2. On second attempt to do the same procedure, everything goes to plan but when All In On Centre reopens the scan config is now greyed out but the printer is activated on the network.

I have been doing this for the past 12 hours and always the same result. I tried to get to the more detailed steps (Injet Printer Communications Failure" which is at the bottom of the step by step guide but alas that documen on the website can not be found.

Jeff

1 Message

June 26th, 2009 20:00

Dear PudgyOne,

I have very limited technical ability, but after trying to get my printer & dell computer to communicate for several hours, I came upon your post. I uninstalled the drivers

and was really scared! Everything worked perfectly and I am now able to print. You have made my night!! Thank you for your expertise and instead of the name

"PudgyOne" perhaps you should give yourself more credit and rename yourself 'The techie geniusone!"

Bless your heart!

Lisa (Florida) 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 27th, 2009 00:00

Lisa,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: You did all the hard work, I just gave you some advice to follow that helped you get your printer working.Thank you for the compliments. I have been in a situation and needed some help and someone came through for me. I get a great felling knowing that I was able to help someone.

Take care.

Rick

No Events found!