Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2012 17:00

All in One Printer 968 will not work with Windows 8

I got the XPS 8500 last week.  After hours of trying to figure out the whole new OS I tried to connect my AO 968.  Nothing prints.  I've tried everything possible.  The printer shows up in Device and Printers and it says it's working correctly.  My eye!  When will a driver be ready for this? 

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

December 5th, 2012 19:00

Hi Lynnt2,

The AIO 968 printer is not compatible with windows 8 OS.

Please click here to check the compatibility of the printers. http://dell.to/UMzvYJ

3 Posts

December 5th, 2012 19:00

I was hoping you weren't going to say that.  Thanks for the list and answering so quickly.  Now I can stop wracking my brain over this.  

1 Message

January 17th, 2013 10:00

Hi,

By when is it planned to be available? Or do you mean there will never be a compatible driver for AIO 968 printer on Windows 8?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 21st, 2013 16:00

skennis,

From what I read, there will not be Windows 8 drivers for the Dell 968 Printer.

You can try this, it may of may not work...

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, programs and features, Dell 968 printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 8 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 8 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the drivers can be found at...

Dell 968 & 968w All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications. If you didn't install any virus program, then Windows Defender is the virus program. Try reading, Allow Printer past Microsoft Essentials/Windows Defender

Rick

March 17th, 2013 17:00

Hi, just got a Win 8 Dell Inspiron and was trying to connect my 968 AIO printer.  Does anyone have a rational answer as to why this printer is not supported in Win 8?  Needless to say this is a very unpleasant surprise to find my printer which works perfectly will possibly need to be replaced.  Is this a cheap ploy to get us to buy a new printer too?  If so, it will certainly not be another Dell.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 17th, 2013 18:00

cliebergott,

Lexmark, the printer manufacturer that made your Dell 968w Printer decided to get out of the printer business, so they will not be releasing Windows 8 drivers for this printer.

You can try this, it may of may not work(other members got it working)...

Disconnect the printer.

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, programs and features, Dell 968 printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 8 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 8 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the drivers can be found at...

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications. If you didn't install any virus program, then Windows Defender is the virus program. Try reading, Allow Printer past Microsoft Essentials/Windows Defender

Rick

March 19th, 2013 19:00

Hi Rick, thanks for the info.  Unfortunately still not able to get it connected.  Do you have any idea if the printer connection method matters (wireless vs. USB cable)?  I'm trying to connect wirelessly.  

Bottom line though is I bought a printer with Dell's logo on it, so I think they should support their products.  If I had bought a Lexmark printer from the Dell website then fine, my tough luck.  But if Dell expects me to ever buy a printer from them again they should support "their" products, regardless of who they contracted to manufacture them.

I take that back -2nd try starting from scratch got it working (wirelessly).  Thanks again Rick and everyone else who contributed to this thread.  

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

cliebergott,

Did you have this printer connected to your network before, using a previous operating system?

Make and model of your wireless router and the type of security you're using? What channel? If you're not sure run Network Interface and post the information back here.

I have seen other members connect this printer to Windows 8 so something may be stopping it, just have to figure out what.

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Dell XPS 8500 Windows 8

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 19th, 2013 20:00

cliebergott,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Could you click the, Did this answer the question? 

that helped you solve your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Take care,

Rick

3 Posts

March 20th, 2013 06:00

Yeah, no kidding.  I trashed the AIO and bought another brand.  

1 Message

June 11th, 2013 13:00

I had no problems printing with the exact same PC and printer. I can not scan.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 11th, 2013 15:00

Clouh09,

Do you have the OCR Program installed?

Rick

1 Message

October 16th, 2015 18:00

Up until I updated our hard drives to solid state we were happily printing using  Windows 8.1

Now what ?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 16th, 2015 20:00

sadiejh,

Try the procedure below...

From the Announcement at the top of the page, Windows 10 Compatibility with Dell Printers

Dell suggests...

Installing Older Windows Printer Drivers in Windows 10

Try this procedure and see if the printer installs.

Disconnect the printer.

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, programs and features, your printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode you’ll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time (powered on).

Links to the drivers can be found at…

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

No Events found!