Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 12th, 2008 08:00

All in one 922 driver problem and / or Vista problem?

Hi,

I just bought a new computer which runs Vista (home premium) 64 bit. No matter what I do, I just can't seem to get my dell all in one 922 to work with my new system. I can get it to print test pages, but not to print documents. When I try to I get the following messages:

"Window cannto print due to a problem with  the current printer set up"

and when I click properties on the print wizard it says

"the active directory domain services is currently unavailable"

The status of the printer shows up a ready in Control Panel, Printers.

So I am baffled. The problem could be the driver or the way Vista 64 bit installs them (since the printer is connected, at least, to the Dell all in one centre, from where I can print test pages.

As for the driver, I tried the 32 bit driver that is on the Dell site and that doesn't work. Then I googled and found a supposed 64 bit driver here:

http://windows-vista-updates.blogspot.com/2007/09/dell-photo-all-in-one-printer-922-vista.html

but that doesn't work.

Any clues. I'm not sure if this problem is unique to Dell, because I am having the same problem with a Canon MP 150, even though the driver is supposed to be 64 bit.

I figure it something to do with the way I am installing the drivers (or the way Vista is).

Anyway, can anyone help. I really need to connect one of my printers, preferably the dell because up to now it has been very trusty. 

thanks

chopinhauer 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 12th, 2008 16:00

Since you have Vista, you have to run the patch to completely remove the drivers from the bad installation. Disconnect your printer and follow the instructions.

Because most people don't post enough information, like computer make and model, operating system, printer make and model and how they're connected. These are basic printer installation instructions. If using USB, then only do the top section. If using a print sever, then I would recommend Fixing the network first. Then follow the instructions below. If printer has a network card, the skip past the print server part and install the printer.

How are you connected to the printer? wired of wireless?

If wired, Disconnect your printer. Go to start/programs/Dell printers and un-install your printer. If using Vista, go to drivers and downloads and download the patch and install the patch. This will remove the printer and files. Be patient. When done, it should prompt you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Now go to drivers and downloads/select product/printers/select your printer. Download drivers and firmware.

Install your printer drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect it.

Then install the firmware.

If wireless, fix your network first.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA security

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels.

After router is done, now setup your wireless print server/printer.

If wireless printer server is used, Plug USB cable into computer and print server. Insert the print server disk. Choose Network, then choose print server and follow the instructions. If the disk does not work for Vista, you may have to go to drivers and downloads and download the 3300 drivers and install from that program.

Now setup the printer.

Now go to drivers and downloads/select product/printers/select your printer. Download drivers and firmware.

Install your printer drivers. Choose Network. Follow instructions. If using a print server, choose add, then Using print server.

26 Posts

April 12th, 2008 23:00

Thanks Rick for you detailed reply.

Sorry not to provide you with all my detail. Yes, I only have a single computer connected to a wired router.

Also I did all the steps you mentioned BEFORE posting; including the patch.

Anyway,  I did all again (TWICE!!) with the same result. I am starting to think that the 64 bit driver that I listed in my original post is no good. I mean it is not listed on the dell site but on some Vista update blog (whatever that is). Who's to say it is works or is even kosher. Unless someone else has installed it and had success one can't be sure.

Me, I'm giving up and going to print from another computer that has XP. It is a hassle running two computers when I only need one, but until the driver issues with vista 64 bit are sorted, what are the other options? 

26 Posts

April 14th, 2008 00:00

Found the solution. My bad.

Since my last post I have thought more laterally about the issues I am having (printer driver issues, and certain programs not installing) and decided to unintall my very instrusive fire (Comodo) and now things are working much better.

The 64 bit driver for my printer, which I thought was a dud, now works, and all programs install properly now. I guess I set up the firewall wrongly. So I now have my trusty old dell 922 printer back.
No Events found!