Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

December 31st, 2009 02:00

All-in-one P513W, windows 7 64 bits, print spooler issue

Hi,

I cannot install my (new) Dell printer P513w on my (new) Inspiron 1545, running Windows 7, 64 bits. I bought them all together.

The installation CD immediately stops, telling me that I must start the print spooler before continuing.

I ran services.msc. It was indicated that the print spooler failed to start automatically (error 1813). I tried to start it manually. I got error 1053.

I ran msconfig.exe. I stopped all non-microsoft services, restarted the computer in minimal mode. This being done, I tried to restart the print spooler. I got error 1053.

I tried the installation CD on another laptop (Latitude E550), running XP 32 bits. Everything ran out of the box.

I tried to download the drivers from the DELL support site. The installation stopped with an error, saying that the print spooler must be started.

Questions:

- Any hint to fix this print spooler issue ?

- did anybody succeed to install a printer on the same platform ?

- if my problem cannot be fixed, is it possible to upgrade my system from Windows 7 to Windows XP ?

All the best,

François

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 31st, 2009 04:00

FrancoisB,

I have not heard of anyone getting the P513w working with Windows 7, somaybe you'll be the first.

Try disconecting and uninstalling your printer using the instructions located at...

P513w Wireless All-In-One Printer owners thread

Remember to install the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode.

Let me know what happens.

Rick

2 Posts

December 31st, 2009 09:00

PudgyOne,

I am actually trying to use the printer through its USB connection.

I cannot uninstall it since I could never install it completely.

My feeling is that the problem I am meeting does not come from the printer but from Windows 7 itself.

Thank you for answering,

François

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 31st, 2009 11:00

Francois,

You need to disconnect the printer. Uninstall the printer, then restart your computer. With the Vista drivers downloaded(you didn't mention if it's 32-bit or 64-bit), you need to right click on the downloaded drivers, then left click properties. Click the compatibility mode and try selecting Vista SP2. Then right click on the drivers again, then left click run as administrator. If it just unzips and sits there, then you'll have to right click on the setup.exe file in the folder, left click properties, compatibility, then select Vista SP2, again. Then right click on the setup.exe file and left click run as administrator.

After the drivers install, you should get a prompt saying the printer is not connected. At this time, connect the printer.

What happens?

Rick

No Events found!