Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2013 16:00

B1165nfw 'cloud ready' acting like a classic printer

This printer only prints when the WIN 7 it was set up on is active.

Then,  CAN print from any Android device, Win 7  and a Chromebook.

When the WIN 7 computer is inactive all prints go into a queue UNTIL  the the WIN 7 pc is active and then the print jobs print normally.

So this cloud ready printer is acting like a 'classic' printer.

I do not recall any special choices in the printer setup that required me to choose between these two printer types or any indication that setup had chosen the 'classic' setup. 

The printer shows up in the Chrome printer list and I can't see anything strange in the WIN 7 configurations.

Driver version seems to date from 5/13.

Why is the printer acting like a 'classic' printer needing a WIN machine to print?

Thanks! 

September 30th, 2013 12:00

Well I guess I can reply to my own question for the sake of others who might have a similar quandary.

I've solved my problem partially by discovering purely BY CHANCE the existence of an app called DELL MOBILE for laser printers.

When this is installed from the Play Store things will print from Android devices without  a WIN machine running.

However I still cannot print from the Chromium browser on a Linux machine or from a Chromebook without a WIN PC running

So, in effect, this is a workaround the original problem.

This may be as far as I can get with this, I certainly have expended many hours researching.....  

December 15th, 2013 18:00

Again I answer my own question.

When you attempt to print a page you are confronted with a lot of aliases for this Dell printer.

By chance and experimentation I found out the printer with this name format 'DEL1234567890', (where '1234567890' is your unique printer id), is indeed the CLOUD printer and not any of those other names that have the format 'b1165nfw'. Those are all listed as 'classic' printers.

I can print from any phone, tablet, pc, chrome or Win on site or remotely.

Still haven't got it to work from Linux though.

January 5th, 2014 18:00

Finally got b1165nfw to work under Linux (Mint).

Need the Linux driver file from Dell support http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/dell-b1165nfw?driverId=30HF8

File is B1165nfw_Linux_v0.92_Driver.tar.gz.

Download this file to its own folder.

right click to 'extract here'

open 'cdroot' folder
run 'autorun'
installation begins
disable 'lpt1' as suggested if wireless else not.

Icon 'De'' Unified driver Configurator'  appears on  desktop.

I didn't need to open it.

NOW can print on Linux Mint (16). 

1 Message

May 16th, 2014 19:00

You helped me solve the same problem

105 Posts

May 20th, 2014 01:00

I can feel your disappointment. One of the things that annoys me is a device that is not working the way it should.

Most people invest on gadgets without really considering the expensive price.

Regarding your issue, deleting the files on queue will help and then restart your printer to avoid dealing with the problem again.

No Events found!