Start a Conversation

Unsolved

RH

4 Posts

May 22nd, 2018 06:00

B1265dfw suddenly won't scan to PC

It has always worked in the past, but now when I try to scan to PC it shows "connecting" for a long while, then says "Enable scan in printer manager"...which is already done.

I can't be sure, but I think it might have started with the Windows 10 Spring Update.  I don't think I've tried to scan since then until now, and I haven't made any other changes to the computer.  I've tried rebooting the computer and the printer, and I've tried reinstalling the printer driver/software, but no joy.

Any suggestions? I guess I can always take things home and scan it there on my old HP (the one I replaced with the Dell), but that's kind of a hassle! ;)

4 Posts

May 24th, 2018 08:00

Having the same issue along with the fax not working.  Even under the advanced settings, an error pops up stating that it's not possible to enable the fax to pc setting and that it needs to be enabled on the device.  There is no setting for that on the device.

This started after the recent windows update.  

1 Message

June 7th, 2018 13:00

Same problem. And I too suspect the recent update. Wouldn't be the first time Microsoft messed up my printer. Any tips before I start the hassle of reinstalling? I hear that might not work anyway.

June 8th, 2018 01:00

I tried reinstalling, and it didn't do any good.  I suspect a firmware update might be needed..?

4 Posts

June 15th, 2018 08:00

I have tried all the different drivers and done pretty much everything.  dell will tell you to pay them a fee to help with the issue but because it's not "compatible" with windows 10, there is nothing they can do, even if you pay...

purchased a dell e515dw because it was on sale and i really like the features of scanning/faxing to pc and the e515dw does NOT print faxes to pc.  

June 16th, 2018 02:00

Too bad to lose that functionality...guess it's back to HP!

1 Message

June 20th, 2018 12:00

Hello folks. I have the same issue and it's rather upsetting that his new windows 10 update  made this happen. I'm not able to use  my Scan assistant but, printing is no problem. Why not offer a Scan Assistant 1.04.44 UPDATE to accommodate those that have this issue instead of purchasing a brand new model? So, what is everyone doing for scanning? Any cures you can share? Thanks so much.

4 Posts

June 29th, 2018 08:00

Unfortunately there is no fix.  I purchased a new model, just like dell wanted me to do, e515dw but that machine does not have the fax to pc feature.

4 Posts

July 25th, 2018 11:00

I found a solution to use the scan.
It is necessary to use the application "Scanner" on Windows 10 it works perfectly

4 Posts

July 25th, 2018 11:00

and my next printer will not be a Dell

2 Posts

April 30th, 2020 18:00

Yes, solved by going to Microsoft Store and "getting" the scanner app there. Can't scan using printer controls anymore, do it from PC, but worked great.

May 4th, 2020 14:00

What scanner app are you referring to?

1 Message

June 16th, 2020 13:00

There are two options.

1) When you got to Devices - Printers and Scanners, below your printer name, you should see "Open Printer App". that app will let you scan. It is a windows app but pretty smplistic.

2) search for Scan and you should see a windows option "Scan a document or printer - Control Panel". This option is much more robust.

Don't blame Dell, this is a Windows issue. Their updates tend to break things that once worked. As printer drivers become outdated (vis-a-vie) a new or updated version of the OS, they tend to stop working. Just like any manufacturer, Dell has to way the cost of writing a new driver for an old machine vs spending their time on software for newer models.

I have found with my Dell printer that every Windows update tended to break even the printer driver, never nind the scanner. I would re-install the old driver, and it would work again. But at some point, the Dell Scanner utility went away completely so the only choices were one and two above. Unfortunately neither option 1) or 2) support legal scanning, even though the device does. the closest you can get is A4. (8.3 X 11.7)

If this were a Canon, HP, Brother, or anything else, would probably have a similar issue.

In fact, I have a Canon D1120 printer and the scanner doesn't work either. There is supposedly a patch from Canon to make it work, but unfortunately, it doesn't work. Most likely because a more recent Windows 10 update broke it as well.

No Events found!