Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2009 15:00

Can I disable the low ink messages and override required for the AIO 948

I have a 948 all in one printer.  It is not the first dell printer I have owned.  I have a 964 aio which I have been pretty pleased with.  I have come to find the low ink warnings insulting, to put it mildly.  I know that the whole software protocol around this issue is geared to sell more ink, even if it is horribly and wastefully premature.  I have tried to tell it that i don't want any more reminders; to no avail, I cannot print a document without one or another unnecessary dell windows popping up on my desktop.  Now, they have found a way to go one better.  With the 948, not only do I get the low ink message, but after pressing the "start print/copy" button, nothing happens, I have to press the override button to tell the printer that I know dell wants me to buy more ink. It has been two months since it started giving me low ink messages, it still prints fine.  I just want to press the print/copy button and have it do that. 

If any one knows how to disable this feature so that regardless of the ink level, it just prints, you will be the hero of many people. I am rather cynical and am expecting that this little bit of engineering/marketing  schlop is hardwired.

To anyone at dell who reads this,  pass this up the ladder, " It is insulting, a waste of time, and your resources to engineer this type of completely unnecessary marketing.  If they bought a dell printer, they're gonna buy dell ink, no question. When the print quality is poor, I change the cartridge, for Dell to advocate/engineer anything else on an industry-wide scale is un-ethical."

1 Message

April 11th, 2009 19:00

I can't believe no one has replied to this message in all this time. I have the same problem and can't find the solution, so I imagine there is none. I agree with everything onebliss wrote

27 Posts

April 11th, 2009 22:00

Do you think the AIO actually senses the ink level? Perhaps it just keeps track of the number of pages printed since the cartridge was inserted.

Have you removed and reinserted the same cartridge? Perhaps the AIO will think it's new (and full). This worked for me many years ago with an old HP AIO.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 12th, 2009 03:00

The answer about disabling the low ink message is, NO.

Dell Series 11 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 11 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

Rick

No Events found!