Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

March 10th, 2008 19:00

Can not connect to 5100cn color laser printer via network

I need some help. I can not connect to my Dell 5100cn Color Laser Printer (1394 Network Adapter) via the Network or through USB. When I open the printer properties, options, "get information from printer" and click search printers,  it says, "Unable to find Dell Laser Printer 5100cn PCL6 printer from the network".

Siphiwe

I am using a

DELL DIM 4500

Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002,

Service Pack 2,

Pentium(R) 4CPU 2.00GHz

1.99GHz, 256 MB of RAM

DELL Wireless 1450 802.11a/b/g USB 2.0 Adapter

to connect to

Verizon/Westel Router

model: D90-327W15-06 ADSL2+ Versalink

and an Apple Airport Extreme

1.7K Posts

March 13th, 2008 13:00

OK..... 1st of all, the Dell 5100cn does not have a 1394 interface.

It is equipped with these:

• USB 2.0 interface
  • Parallel IEEE-1284 interface
  • 10/100mbps Network Interface

SO, how are you really connecting your printer?

If on a network, is the IP address provided via Router or Server?

If you print a Printer Settings report, does the printer show a valid IP address? (not something beginning with 169.254.x.x)

If USB connected, remove the cable and uninstall all the drivers.

When you plug the cable back in, does the system "find new hardware"?

Message Edited by llynster on 03-13-2008 09:49 AM

23 Posts

March 16th, 2008 16:00

Thank you.

I am connecting through the 10/100mbps Network Interface.

"If on a network, is the IP address provided via Router or Server?" How do I know? The printer is plugged directly into the Verizon/Westel Router model: D90-327W15-06 ADSL2+ Versalink.

"If you print a Printer Settings report, does the printer show a valid IP address? (not something beginning with 169.254.x.x)" - Yes.

What's next?

1.7K Posts

March 16th, 2008 23:00

Has it ever worked?

Just wonderieng if your westel/verizon router is the cause of this.....

obtw..... you said earlier that you couldn't access the printer via USB? What do you mean by access? Ping or Print? Ping is NOT applicable to USB connections.

What was the IP address the printer received?

You can ping it, but that's all, right?

Something quick and dirty you can try.
Buy an inexpensive 10/100 hub  and connect only a PC and the printer to the hub. Assign consecutive IP addresses to each, i.e.;
  - PC IP address=192.168.1.100, SubMask=255.255.255.0, Gtway=192.168.1.1
  - Printer IP address=192.168.1.101, SubMask=255.255.255.0, Gtway=192.168.1.1
(If you can't get a hub, you can buy a Cross-Over network cable and connect the PC and Printer directly together)

Uninstall and reinstall the drivers using the assigned IP address above.

Lem'me know what happens.

1.7K Posts

March 17th, 2008 15:00

Yes, I was told it worked just fine before. Our office was remodeled and all the computer equipment was put in storage. I came and the remodeling was finished and now I am setting up the office again.

OK..... how long was the machine unplugged? Chances are, the IP address it has now is different than the IP address used when "it was working".

Regarding the USB connection, when I failed to connect to the network, I just hooked up the USB cable and tried it that way. I would send a document to print and would get an error message saying document failed to print.

If the drivers are not installed or if the printer is not assigned as the default printer, this will happen.

What is ping?

Ping is a method used to test a network device to deternmine if a network device is present on a network.

The printer IP address is 192.168.1.44

How do you know this?

Was this printed on the System Settings page?

Confirm the "installed to" IP address by opening Printers and Faxes, right-clicking the printer icon, click Properties, click the Ports tab, (network printer should be pre-selected), click the Configure Port button. What IP address is listed in the IP address box?

Is it the same as that listed on the System Settings page? If not, that's why you can't print.

Also, I can't find the installation disk with the drivers.

The drivers can be download from: 5100cn drivers

Message Edited by llynster on 03-17-2008 11:44 AM
Message Edited by llynster on 03-17-2008 11:49 AM

23 Posts

March 17th, 2008 15:00

thanks again.

Yes, I was told it worked just fine before. Our office was remodeled and all the computer equipment was put in storage. I came and the remodeling was finished and now I am setting up the office again.

Regarding the USB connection, when I failed to connect to the network, I just hooked up the USB cable and tried it that way. I would send a document to print and would get an error message saying document failed to print. What is ping?

Also, I can't find the installation disk with the drivers.

1.7K Posts

March 17th, 2008 16:00

As I "somewhat implied" in my last reply...... you need to uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

Good luck !!!

Message Edited by llynster on 03-17-2008 12:52 PM

23 Posts

March 17th, 2008 16:00

OK. The machine was unplugged for a few months at least.

How do you know this?

Was this printed on the System Settings page?

The IP address was listed on the Printer Settings page.

What IP address is listed in the IP address box?

Is it the same as that listed on the System Settings page? If not, that's why you can't print.

The IP address listed from Configure Port is 10.0.1.6, so no, it is not the same as that listed on the Printer Settings page.

What is the next step?

Siphiwe

23 Posts

March 17th, 2008 20:00

How do I uninstall the driver?

23 Posts

March 19th, 2008 13:00

Greetings,

I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer driver. In the process, a screen appeared that said a "driver already existed for this printer" and asked if I wanted to replace it, so I clicked "replace". At the end of the process, a message appeared that said, "printer driver was not installed. Operation could not be completed."

Now what?

1.7K Posts

March 19th, 2008 14:00

We've covered many aspects of this problem.

1. Ensure you have ADMIN rights on your PC (required for installing this printer)

2. Connect a USB 2.0 rated cable straight from the printer to a USB port ON THE PC itself.

3. If the Found New Hardware wizard detects the printer, click cancel, and then run the Setup.exe file from the folder location into which you downloaded and extracted the driver package.

Let me know what happens.

Message Edited by llynster on 03-19-2008 10:30 AM

23 Posts

March 21st, 2008 10:00

Thanks for the patience and help.

3. If the Found New Hardware wizard detects the printer, click cancel, and then run the Setup.exe file from the folder location into which you downloaded and extracted the driver package.

The Found New Hardware wizard did detect the printer. However,  when I ran the R167,000.exe application it said, "An error occured while unzipping. One or more files were not succesfully unzipped. The error code is 40."

1.7K Posts

March 21st, 2008 11:00

The driver file on the Dell website is OK.

I just downloaded and successfully installed these on my system here at work using the office 5100cn.

1.7K Posts

March 21st, 2008 11:00

Sounds like the download was corrupted. You probably need to try it again.

Be sure to navigate to the page on the Dell website from where the file can be downloaded and scroll all the way to the bottom to read the instructions.

I was not correct when I earlier advised running Setup.exe to install the drivers. Many of the items Dell posts has you do this, but installation of this driver uses the Add Printer Wizard.

It wouldn't have mattered in this case anyway since it appears you had a corrupted download.

Message Edited by llynster on 03-21-2008 07:03 AM

23 Posts

March 21st, 2008 16:00

OK. I saw the printer and uninstalled.

23 Posts

March 21st, 2008 16:00

While going through the Add Printer process, a screen appeared that said, "If you have a Plug and Play printer that connects through a USB port [or any other hot pluggable port, such as IEE 1394, infrared, and so on] you do not need to use this wizard. Click Cancel to close the wizard, and then plug the printer's cable into your computer or point the printer toward your computer's infrared port, and turn the printer on. Windows will automatically install the printer for you."

So I unplugged the printer/USb cable, then plugged it back it, and the "found new hardware" balloon came up.

Now I am looking at a screen that says, "The file 'dlxcrziu.dll on Dell Printer Driver (Windows) CD-ROM is needed. Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK. In the box below where it says, "Copy files from:" it says, "D:\Drivers\PCL\Win_200XP\English" which is NOT where I downloaded the new driver. So does this mean a drivers is still already installed? Do I need to uninstall it and if so, how? Or, do I just browse to the location where I downloaded and go through the process from there?

No Events found!