Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 23rd, 2008 15:00

Can't communicate with A940 all-in-one printer

I just purchased a Studio Slim pc with Vista 64-bit.  I have a A940 all-in-one printer.  I downloaded the 64-bit driver from dell.com, connected the printer via usb cable during install.  Everything seems to install smoothly, but I cannot print a test page (tells me it can't communicate with the printer).  When I open the all-in-one program and go to ink levels, it tells me the printer connected is not a 940 printer.  The printer worked perfectly fine on my other Windows XP pc.  I went to programs/dell printer and ran the uninstall.  I deleted all the folders in c:\dell\drivers and even ran the patch that someone supplied on another post and rebooted.  I emailed Dell support who sent me a link to the driver (which is the same file that I already tried).  I went ahead and installed from support's link and ran through the install process again with the same results. After install, if I unplug the usb cord, the printer is shown as offline so it definitely is seeing that something is connected.  I've also tried all my usb ports, but they are all working properly.  Can anyone assist?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2008 16:00

I can't guarentee this will work, but we'll give this a try.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. The patch is for Vista 32-bit and XP upgrades and may or may NOT work. Could you please let me know.(Thanks)

Restart your computer.

Download the Vista 64-bit Drivers for the A940 Printer.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

Now install the Vista 64-bit Drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

2 Posts

November 24th, 2008 17:00

Thanks for the instructions.  The dellcleanuputility.exe patch did work on my pc with Vista 64-bit, but alas, the steps didn't work to fix the printer.  All the usb ports reconnected at reboot.  When I ran through the driver install, it did recognize the usb and finished that process (which it has each and every time I've tried to reinstall).  Same thing when I try to print a test page - just tells me there is a problem communicating with the printer.  When I open the All-In-One program and run an ink level, it tells me (again) that the printer is not a A940 printer.  Once I get that message, then I get a prompt that the drivers are not installed.  I run through the steps again, just to be back in the vicious cycle.  I've gone into the device manager and told it to update driver software for the printer under imaging and also under usb (printing support).  It tells me that the driver software is up-to-date.  I guess it's time to throw in the towel....

I appreciate your help!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2008 17:00

bigGame42,

Yes, the Dell All-In-One Center is the program you use to scan with. It's in the drivers package.

Also you will need to do this.

Update list of applications to send scans to

Rick

31 Posts

Check if "dxbt_host" and the print spooler service are enabled in services

7 Posts

I too have a Studio Slim pc with Vista 64-bit.  I have a A940 all-in-one printer. When I plugged my printer via USB into the PC, it did pick it up and install the drivers which enabled me to print.  However, it did not install the Dell All-In-One Center which enables me to Scan documents and photos.  Is the new driver, suppose to also install the Dell All-In-One Center?  How can I tell if I have the correct driver installed?

Thank you

7 Posts

December 26th, 2008 13:00

Thank you Rick.  That worked.  And Adobe Reader was already in my options on the Scanner. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 26th, 2008 13:00

bigGame42,

Glad you got it working. Thanks for posting back.

Rick

No Events found!