Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2009 18:00

Can't get A920 to work with Windows 7

Following the sudden and unexpected death of my Dell computer, I bought a Optiplex 360 (in a hurry) with Windows 7, I knew I didn’t want Vista, and what choice is there?

It’s been a stressful transition time. My modem didn’t work with Windows 7 for a start.

Apart from loads of other issues, I have to print stuff out daily.

I have 2 printers, one Dell A920 (printer/scanner), one Lexmark. Neither works with the new computer, probably neither is compatible with Windows 7. Whilst being REALLY ANGRY about this sort of thing, planned obsolescence etc. I need a fix. There isn’t a Dell driver for Windows 7 for the A920.

I read Bills’ thread here:
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19303297/19584900.aspx#19584900

He has the same problem as me, but it talks about compatibility with Vista???? The vital patch download is empty. I just removed the printer by deleting it.

Like Bill’s wife, I am not a happy bunny. I might even turn into a were-rabbit.

Dell doesn’t recognise my service tag.

For the driver download I have a choice of Vista 32bit or 64bit (whatever that means). I discover that I have Windows 7 32bit, but again the download is empty if I select Vista 32bit for a download.

Then, if I can get it to work, am I relegated to really basic scanning rather than the all singing, all dancing scanning options I used to have?

The Dell site says:
Step 4:    Refer to the Hardware Manufacturer
If you still are having difficulty locating some drivers, visit the support website of the manufacturer of the particular component you are looking for. The manufacturer should be able to provide you with drivers for their products.

Well, Dell ARE the manufacturer of both my products and yes, they SHOULD be able to provide the drivers for THEIR products! How can they sell computers that aren't compatible with their products, other products and essential stuff - without any warning whatsoever that half your computing property will be rendered useless?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 13th, 2009 21:00

Bfree2,

Windows 7 is suppose to be backward compatible. Did you try installing the printer in the compatibility mode?

Better instructions located at...

A920 All-In-One Inkjet Printer owners thread

Rick

15 Posts

December 14th, 2009 00:00

What is the compatibility mode? I installed the printer from the original disc. I don't think there was an offer of different modes made. None of the downloads from the Dell site are working - they are all empty files.

Yes, I read all that in several of your posts, but as in my op Windows 7 isn't one of the otions - it's XP or Vista drivers, there isn't anything else in 'All other drivers'.

For the Lexmark, I got a download from download.com , but WinZip can't extract the file. As it's a new computer I keep finding things it can't do (even open pdf files) without extra downloads... I don't know if that's one of them?

I'm looking at flushing another worrking day down the computer plughole and potentially running out to buy yet another printer.

I think I liked the world without computers better.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 14th, 2009 12:00

Bfree2,

What you need to do is disconnect the printer and remove it. The patch offered in this thread (A920 All-In-One Inkjet Printer owners thread)  will help to remove the printer. Also if the patch does not work with Windows 7, then you have to remove the printer drivers manually. Manual Printer Driver Removal. After you do this, you'll need to restart your computer.

Then download the Vista 32-bit drivers. The to install them in the compatibility mode, here are the instructions.

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

Let me know what happens.

Rick

15 Posts

December 15th, 2009 01:00

Thanks Rick, is successfully installed now. The problem with downloading the drivers turned out to be that I was using Firefox, when I switched to Internet Explorer it downloaded ok. Perhaps this could be mentioned everywhere? Caused a massive waste of time, stress and general bad temper leading to suicide being an attractive option.

15 Posts

December 15th, 2009 01:00

PS I managed to get the Lexmark installed too - but guess what? It thinks there is a missing cartridge, though both are Lexmark cartridges, refilled and previously working fine. Those nasty printer manufacturers up to their tricks again eh? Am going to buy a different brand as the 2nd printer - it won't be Lexmark and it won't be Dell either. Does anyone know which the best manufacturer for reasonable ink, either refills or a continuous tank is?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 15th, 2009 03:00

Bfree2,

Your Dell Printer was made by Lexmark, if that helps. I have had other members use another brand but the low ink message will be there. They would keep a spare until the print quality was terrible and replace the cartridge then. I have had other members use a replacement brand from Office Max.

Dell Series 1 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 1 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

Rick

15 Posts

December 21st, 2009 20:00

Further update... lulled into a false sense of security, printer has been working fine, scanner had been. Discover that the scanner won't work any more, and there are bizarrely 2 icons present in the printer section, one ready and able (but without a scan facility), one with just the scan facility but needs troubleshooting. Decided to delete the 'faulty' one, and both disappeared. So here we go with the whole process all over again :(

15 Posts

December 21st, 2009 21:00

Re-done the intallation, and got one printer installed, printing (and scanning but only with basic options). To get the better options I went on to this:

"As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program."

No 'explore' option on the disk folder , so I opened it. Opened the OCR folder. The Abbyy folder didn't want to be opened, it was an uninstall, but there was an Abbyy INSIDE the 'setup' folder (that is .exe, but just called setup) and I ran it as administrator, but it made no difference. I don't know what Abbyy is or OCR, it's more fishing in the dark. It's difficult and worrying when instructions don't match reality.

Nothing has changed, I no longer have my nice scanner window with useful selectable options like how I want to scan and where I want to save to. Most of this can be done the long way round, but why?

Now I have a return of problems that I thought I'd seen the back of - not printing documents though they are 'queueing', unable to delete one of the documents in queue without turning printer off, and now a new issue of the printing not being recognised as completed.

Jeeeez. Just another couple of hours wasted.

15 Posts

December 22nd, 2009 02:00

Windows updates are automatic aren’t they? That might explain the changes, I think some were done, I have no idea what any of them mean and would have thought they should be compatible with whatever you have running. How very, very annoying. As I’ve been busily installing lots of programmes on a new computer, I’m not terribly inclined to backtrack. I shall just have to put up with something inferior shan’t I?

As I reinstalled exactly the same way as before, why the difference?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2009 02:00

Bfree2.

You said it was working. Use system restore and go back to a day when it worked. Make sure that you don't update the printer drivers using Windows Updates.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2009 03:00

Bfree2,

I have my Windows Updates aet for notify. I then choose what to install, when.

Basics are to disconnect the printer, run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer. Make sure the drivers are gone. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer

Install the proper drivers.

Rick

15 Posts

December 22nd, 2009 03:00

Yes, that's exactly what I did a few hours ago, and it came back different.

No Events found!