Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 31st, 2012 14:00

Can't scan with Dell 1355 cnw MFP.

I provide IT Support for a Universtiy.  We have recently upgraded to new computers and now I am unable to scan from the printer.  Here's some info about the OLD & NEW computers:

• On both the old & new computers we are using Win7 64bit.  
  • Printer is a Dell 1355cnw Multi-function printer.
  • I have not moved or made ANY changes to the printer itself.
  • The printer is setup via the network, using TCP/IP.  This is the same way it was setup on the old computers.
  • I have verified that all printer, fax & scan drivers are up to date using Dell's website.
  • I've also verified that the printer firmware is up to date using Dell's website

On the old machines, I installed the printer & scanning software (PaperPort 12) from the CD that came with the printer.  On the new computers I installed using the same CD; yet I'm having trouble getting my Dell 1355 color MFP to scan. It's attached to a network and I can print just fine, but when I try to scan (from the Dell scan center, or PaperPort 12),  it tells me that the device isn't there. 

• The exact error message I get is:  "No scanner detected.  Either the power of the scanner is off, or the cable is not properly connected, or the IP Address Settings are not correctly entered."

I've checked compared EVERYTHING in the old computer to the new one & the settings are exactly the same.  Yet I still can't scan from the new computer (although I CAN scan from the old computer).

I have also checked all the settings (via the printer's web interface) to verify that I didn't have to give any "special" privileges to the old computers to enable scanning.

FYI-If I plug the printer in via USB, I AM able to scan.  But this solution doesn't work as I have several users who need to be able to print & scan from this machine.

Any help you can give me would really be appreciated!

October 16th, 2012 08:00

I've been using this printer to scan via network for over a year; that was the whole reason we bought this printer.  When we upgraded our computers, it stopped working.

I finally got it to work by right clicking on the installer (on the CD that came with the printer) & running the WIndows 7 Compatibility Wizard.  It installed it with the Windows XP Service Pack 2 settings......VOILA!  EVERYTHING IS NOW SCANNING VIA NETWORK & WORKING FINE AGAIN!

However, it's important to note that I am NOT using wifi.  I am using the LAN.

1 Message

September 5th, 2012 16:00

Back to the top. I have the same issue on TWO different computers.  BOTH will print to the printer over WIFI and recognize it.  BOTH say there is no scanner present when I try to run the scanning software.

What do I need to do in order to fix this problem?

7 Posts

September 14th, 2012 12:00

Connect it via USB. Idiots don't support network scanning.

1 Message

October 15th, 2012 22:00

thanks for the tip.. i have been screwing around for nothing..idiots they are indeed

February 5th, 2013 03:00

Brandy,

Can you tell us what TWAIN and/or WIA drivers you have installed loaded - ie. what is PaperPort 12 reporting? As I too would like to be able to scan from PaperPort over the LAN.

7 Posts

February 5th, 2013 10:00

You cannot scan over the network with this device. It's not possible.

7 Posts

February 5th, 2013 12:00

When I was setting this up it was clear that networks scanning was not possible.

Mike,

I appreciate your comment but it appears at odds with Brandy's comment, and also some documentation on dell scanning (scanning-print-solution-dell.pdf) from the Dell website.

Mike, 

I had included an image but that appears to have been dropped...

February 6th, 2013 13:00

Mike,

I am afraid that you have written it off as a possibility too soon - like Brandy I have been able to scan over the network perfectly, please see below;

The key seems to be the port button at the bottom which will locate the printer over the network. You will have to do this using PaperPort 12 Scanner Setup Wizard, get it to download the database and run a test against the printer, it will fail initially to connect but will come up with this screen, from there on it works perfectly.

Good luck, and I hope you manage to get the same results.

February 13th, 2013 08:00

Nick,

I'm not sure how to locate the answers you're looking for.  If you can give me a little more specifics on where to look, I'll gladly share info :)

However, I have installed this computer several times since my posting above.  Each time, I'm using the same process:

I get it to work by right clicking on the installer (on the CD that came with the printer) & running the WIndows 7 Compatibility Wizard.  It installed it with the Windows XP Service Pack 2 settings......VOILA!  EVERYTHING IS NOW SCANNING VIA NETWORK & WORKING FINE AGAIN!

However, it's important to note that I am NOT using wifi.  I am using a LAN.  I have not tested/tried this using wifi

February 13th, 2013 08:00

Mike,

It is possible, I use it everyweek to scan over the network.  I use a LAN, not wifi.

February 13th, 2013 11:00

Brandy,

Thanks for getting back in touch. You may see above that I too managed to get it working, over a LAN, I haven't tried over WiFi. So much better than the alternative of being stuck with USB.

1 Message

June 22nd, 2013 15:00

Nick -

Thank you so much for this. I have been trying to figure this out for several months. I actually found that when I clicked the port button all I needed to do was select the Broadcast radio button in the Network Device Setting Group or change the location to the printer's IP address and then I could scan. for some reason using the the machine address doesn't work.

January 31st, 2016 13:00

It's a shame. There is no clear description about setting up DELL 1355cn for scanning over the network. I spent several hours to set this up on Linux/Ubuntu and on Win10 without success.

No Events found!