Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 23rd, 2012 09:00

Cannot print with our Dell 968w

We have not been able to print. On our printer screen it has the print files tab greyed out and we cannot change it. Could anyone offer some advice? We have been looking on line and at the user manual for information and we haven't found information on this problem.

1 Message

February 8th, 2015 14:00

Hello

I have the same problem - print files label on the printer DELL 968w is greyed out and it doesnt let me print from laptope. i can make copies, but not printing. I havent used this printer for a year, and now i bought new ink, i set up drivers ... all is good but printer menu PRINT FILES is not working at all  

please help me 

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

November 23rd, 2012 10:00

Hi willi1617,

Please check if you are able to make a photocopy from the printer using the printers’ operating menu options.

If not, Unplug the power cord, adapter from the printer, press and hold the power button on the printer for 20 seconds. This will remove the static power from the printer. Now try making a photocopy from the printer.

If unable to print from the computer, please provide operating system and the antivirus program install in the computer.

Check if that works and reply with results.

4 Posts

November 23rd, 2012 10:00

Nikhil D

Hi. Thank you for your quick response. I unplugged the adapter from the printer and held the power button down for 20 seconds. I was able to make a copy after your suggestion. The print files function is still greyed out.

We are using Windows 7 and Webroot Secure Anywhere as a virus protection. It came with the computer we recent purchased.

Any further suggestions that you could make would be appreciated. Thank you!

Christina

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

November 23rd, 2012 15:00

Hi willi1617,

Thank you for the information.

I assume you are trying to print files from the computer; I would like to know what the file type is?  

How is the printer connected to the computer? (USB cable or Wireless connection).

Please follow the bellow steps to print from the computer.

1. Turn on your computer and printer and make sure they are connected.
  2. Load the paper in the printer.
  3. With your document open in the computer, click File>Print.
  4. The Print dialog box opens.
  5. Click Preferences, Properties, Options, or Setup.
  6. The Printing Preferences dialog box opens.
  7. On the Print Setup and Advanced tabs, make any necessary changes for your document.
  8. When you finish customizing your settings, click OK.
  9. The Printing Preferences dialog box closes.
  10. Click OK or Print.

Try these steps and reply.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2012 15:00

Christina,

Try unplugging the printer from the wall, then remove the power brick for 60 seconds. This will reset any error messages the printer is getting.

Can you copy a document under the glass? Black and white and color?

Any error mesages?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2012 16:00

Christina,

You can copy, and that's a good sign. Try unplugging from the wall and reseating the Dell Series 7 ink cartridge(s). It seems that since the screen isue is oin the printer, it is something on the printer.

If you can copy and the issue was on the computer, I would recommend freinstalling the printer using a special procedure.

Rick

4 Posts

Rick,

Hi. We did as you instructed and the print files label on the printer is still greyed out. I am not getting any error messages and I am able to copy in black and white and in color. This is something that just seemed to happen without us trying to change anything on our printer. We have been printing fine for a while now without problems until a couple of days ago.

4 Posts

Nikhil D,

Hi. We have completed the above steps many times and we do not get the printer to work. It just stays in the printer dialog box without going any where.

Thank you,

Christina

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 10th, 2015 15:00

mashakiss,

Can you copy a document under the glass? Black and white and color?

If yes, then I would try reinstalling the printer using the instructions below...

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Start, control panel, programs and features, your printer,, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the drivers can be found at...

Dell 968 & 968w All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

No Events found!