Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 24th, 2008 09:00

Cartrige Error on Dell 946 all in one printer

I am getting a "cartrige error #1203"  and I can't figure out what it is.  I have replaced the cartriges, restarted the printer, tried new cartriges, etc.. and I have no idea what that error means.  any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 24th, 2008 10:00

Error 1203 is a very interesting error code. Here is what I found out about error 1203

It's mean your catridges overflow even from brand new catridges after a several prints or right after you refilled the catridges. Check to see if ink are smeared on the holder where the contact panel with the catridge. I have the same problem which I think lexmark have a proble and overlook.

Solution:
I use the klennex with a few drops of water to dampen and clean off those contact on the holder and my printer work again.
The refill ink work very well if you let it sit 24 hrs. Then before you print anything, you should run aligned the catridges a couple times then run clean catridges a couple times.
Print the test page to see how it's look and way you go.
Be sure not to leave any debris of klennex on those holder contact panel.

To reset the error code, disconnect the power cord from the wall. Also remove the power brick from the back of the printer for 60 seconds. Then connect everything again.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges .

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

Rick

1 Message

February 13th, 2013 10:00

well, i realize this is a late reply but i have this printer & i have struggled half a day trying to resolve this on my own & thru the website. believe it or not, it is half solved. i cleaned the cartridges, reinserted them, and message appeared. so...i unplugged power, inserted only the color cartridge & ding! no #1203 error. i then inserted the black cartridge & whamo, the error message appeared again. so, it is the black cartridge causing the problem & error message. my next step is to try replacing black cartridge with a new or another dell black cartridge to see if error goes away. if it does, then, i'm assuming the black cartridge is defective (possibly a bad sensor) & will take back to staples to get it reeplaced. i will keep you posted if you even have that printer anymore! it has been 4+ years since your post & the only post i could find

on this style printer. thanks!

March 24th, 2011 21:00

I tried this method to fix the error a few times and the error still pops up. Do you have any other idea what might be wrong?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 25th, 2011 03:00

DarrellWorkman,

Faulty sensor or refilled cartridge. Try using a Dell Series 5 ink cartridge.

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer. 

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 5 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 5 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges .

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 5 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would that these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

1 Message

November 10th, 2012 07:00

i have tried everything.  of couse i have the 5 series. is the only other option to seriously return the cartridges and request new ones?  will the error go away with new cartridges?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 10th, 2012 07:00

unej19,

A faulty sensor in the cartridge will give the error message. Unless you had a loud bang when you put in the Dell Series 5 cartridge(s).

Unplug the printer from the wall. Niw remove the power brick from the back of the printer for 60 seconds. This will reset any error messages the printer is getting.

Rick

1 Message

February 14th, 2015 14:00

Same thing here. Tried cleaning and unplugging several times and could not get rid of the error. Put the old cartridge back in, unplugged it and it is fine now...just out of ink. Obviously the new cartridge is bad. Hopefully I can return it. 

No Events found!