Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 10th, 2009 19:00

Communication Not Available - Wireless 3300 / Photo AIO 964 / Inspiron E1705

My router recently died and had to be replaced.  Since then, can't print due to "communication not available".

I have uninstalled wireless device and printers numerous times.  I did get everything to work two days ago....printed a test Word document and 45% of an Adobe document before it stopped sending.  Hasn't worked since and I've uninstalled / re-installed everything since then.  I've disconnected cables, restarted the computer, printer, and wireless print adapter.  I've also updated drivers from Dell for the Wireless device.  I've tried to update the printer drivers / firmware but again, receive the communication not available message so it doesn't update.  I've tried everything that I've found in other threads so far.

I have a Netgear RangeMax router, model WNDR3300.  The printer shows up as an attached device along with my computers.  Settings:  WPA-PSK, 11G Channel:  11, 11N Channel:  44

Laptop:  Dell Inspiron E1705 running Windows XP;  Printer:  Dell Photo AIO 964;  3300 Wireless Print Adapter.

Any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 10th, 2009 22:00

estabrich,

I have included the instructions below. Since you have XP, just un-install the printer in the control panel and then restart your computer instead of running the patch(it's password protected for XP). On your wireless router, use the mixed mode(my suspicions think the 3300 might be b). And yes, you have to start all over by attaching the 3300 via USB Cable to your computer to setup it up again.

Follow these instructions below and you should be connect very soon. If it makes you feel better, I have a 964 conected to a 3300. Had to replace wireless router and still have everything working for 5 laptops.

Let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Fix your wireless router first.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(WPA Personal). Most wireless devices work best with this type of security.

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels. (I use channel 11)

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds. Power everything back on, wait 30 seconds, now try to connect.

After router is done, now setup your wireless print server/printer.

3300 Utility

3300 Firmware

Attach the 3300 to your computer using the USB Cable and insert the 3300 disk. Follow the instructions. It should ask you for the network ID, type of security and password.

Now for the printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista machines, until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the drivers, choose network, choose I'm using a wireless print server(if you do not see this, then choose add printer and you should see it then) and follow the instructions.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer

Let me know what happens.

Rick

2 Posts

May 11th, 2009 17:00

This worked!  Thank you very, very much!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 11th, 2009 18:00

estabrich,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you solve your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Thanks,

Rick

No Events found!