totalfocus808
1 Copper

Communication not available DELL AIO 964 Vista 64-bit

Communication not available  DELL AIO 964 Vista 64-bit

When I try to print, I get a COMMUNICATION NOT AVAILABLE error. 

The error says DELL 964 AIO / USB Port   (the printer cannot communicate with the computer)

I have installed the Vista 64-bit driver but it still doesn't fix problem.  Computer is a few days old, brand new out of box...I tried all USB ports???

Any suggestion???   Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Communication not available DELL AIO 964 Vista 64-bit

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. (This patch is like a cleaner and works on XP and Vista systems)

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Please remember to install the latest firmware for the 964 printer.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
balapava
1 Copper

Hi

I have followed all your instrustions and it is still not working.  AFter I uninstall all the USB stuff I restart the computer and then try and install the new driver.  It works until it gets to the screen where you must connect the computer and it still does not recognize the device.

I have windows vista 64 bit and I am trying to install the Dell AIO 964.  ANy other suggestions.

0 Kudos
hillmill1
1 Nickel

Is this not amazing? This post was dated almost one year ago and to my knowledge the problem is still not fixed. I have purchased a new laptop and I installed my AIO 964 printer and I get the same communication failure message. I spent three and a half hours on the phone with Dell, ask me did they fix it, no. I  was told my printer is bad, need to buy a new one, you need to buy our 2 yr technical support plan for $200 something something and the best we have to charge you for this help because my printer is out of warrany and indeed it is the failure of Dell not having a solution to the VISTA 64 printer issue. Cannot use the new excuse, the problem is a year old. You would think that because it is a Dell printer and a Dell laptop we should have no such issue or at least a solution to the issue. If anyone has a suggestion please pass it on.         

0 Kudos